Every New Beginning... (Chris...

By belleofmarvel

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginnings End I'd have been completely fine, living in my littl... More

.1.
.2.
.3.
.4.
.5.
.6.
.7.
.8.
.9.
.10.
.11.
.12.
.13.
.14.
.15.
.16.
.17.
.18.
.19.
.20.
.21.
.22.
.23.
.24.
.25.
.26.
.27.
.28.
.29.
.30.
.31.
.32.
.33.
.34.
.35.
.36.
.37.
.38.
.39.
.40.
.41.
.42.
.43.
.44.
.45.
.46.
.47.
.48.
.49.
.50.
.51.
.52.
.53.
.54.
.55.
.56.
.57.
.58.
.59.
.60.
.61.
.62.
.63.
.64.
.65.
.66.
.67.
.68.
.69.
.70.
.71.
.72.
.73.
.74.
.75.
.76.
.77.
.78.
.79.
.80.
.81.
.82.
.83.
.84.
.85.
.86.
.87.
.88.
.89.
.90.
.91.
.92.
.93.
.93.
.94.
.95.
.96.
.97.
.98.
.99.
100
.101.
.102.
.103.
.104.
.105.
.106.
.107.
.108.
.109.
.110.
.111.
.112.
.113.
.115.
.116.
.117.
.118.
.119.
.120.
.121.
.122.
.123.
.124.
.125.
.126.
.127.
.128.
.129.
.130.
.131.
.132.
.133.
.134.
.135.
.136.
.137.
.138.
.139.
.140.
.141.
.142.
.143.
.144.
.145.
.146.
.147.
.148.
.149.
.150.
.151.
.152.
.153.
.154.
.155.
.156.
.157.
.158.
.159.
.160.
.161.
.162.
.163.
.164.
.165.
.166.
.167. ~FINAL~

.114.

303 22 2
By belleofmarvel

Chris POV

Leaning against the bar top I try my hardest to listen to Officer Maxwell who just continues to drone on about how he messed up on some paperwork from the night before. I've already told him we can fix it next week and yet here I am, ten minutes later, still listening to him complain about the situation.

The only thing that is keeping my attention slightly focused on him is because I can still watch Opal from over his shoulder. So I find myself nodding along more than I probably should. I'm sure I'll regret some of the things I'm agreeing with.

I focus now on Opal as Spencer hands her the drink that I knew to order her without her even requesting. Maybe we'll make that our signature drink at the wedding, an inside joke between the two of us. The drink that started this all. She looks up from the glass sitting in front of her, giving me that sweet smile. I give her a sly wink back when Maxwell isn't looking at me. But it's even harder to hold back a laugh as I see Janie take large swigs from Laura's wine glass before setting it back in front of her.

Spencer returns, standing on the other side of Maxwell. "Hey, man. Like I said, don't worry about it. We'll take care of it," I tell the younger officer. "It's your first right?" He nods sheepishly. "Go and enjoy." I pat his arm, somewhat pushing slightly so he'll finally walk away. Once he's gone I slide down the bar, taking his place next to Spencer.

"You ever remember being that worried about screwing up?" I ask him.

He shakes his head no before bringing the beer bottle to his lips. "Not even a little."

"Maxwell screw up again?" Cooper asks, coming up on the other side of Spencer.

"How'd you guess?" Spencer quips.

"Evans here has more patience than the rest of us. Guess that's what makes him such a great Sergeant," Cooper adds.

"Had to with a partner like you," I jest back.

"Ya know what," Cooper begins, ready to jump back into his jerk like ways but his eyes catch something over my shoulder, back towards the entryway. "Is that who I think it is?"

I turn a bit to my right in order to see where he's gesturing towards. I'd like to say it's hard to tell who he's talking about, but then I notice the woman whose long blonde hair is not curly tonight, but straight as a board in a ponytail, hanging down almost to her hips. Her dress could barely be called a dress as it looks more like a long skirt covering only what's necessary, paired with a bikini top held together by a couple of strings. CJ just stepped right out of the 70s looking like Cher.

  "And you gave that up," Cooper reminds me, his eyes still looking over at CJ while I have turned back around. 

  "Don't do that," I say to him, shaking my head.

  "Do what?" he asks.

  "Revert to being a jackass." I gesture behind him where Janie sits beside Laura and Opal. Their gaze looking out to the floor. "You've got a great girl over there who has managed to last longer than a night with you. Don't blow it." I pick up my glass and walk back over to our table without another glance. 

  Laura moves to stand up from my seat, I put my hand out to stop her, taking the other seat next to Opal. "Enjoying yourself?" I ask her as I sit. 

  "Mhm," she hums quietly, her eyes not quite keeping focus with mine. I watch as she looks up, finding CJ in the crowd. 

  "Hey," I put my hand on her cheek, turning her to look back at me. "Let me remind you, there's no competition." 

  "Yeah, of course." Her eyes tell me she doesn't believe my words, or even her own. 

  I start to say more but an announcement is made that the band is taking a break and they've brought in a DJ who will be playing music from all the different eras. Laura grabs Opal's hand, pulling her from her seat as a Backstreet Boys song starts to play. "Don't break a heel!" I call out after her. 

  "Hush it," she hollers back, making me laugh as she actually stumbles slightly from the way Laura is pulling on her, sending herself into a roar of laughter as well. 

  'Don't know that I could love that woman more than I do,' I think to myself. 

  Janie slides into the chair next to me now. "Not dancing?" I ask her.

  "Evans you should know me better than that by now. I don't dance," she reminds me.  "I also noticed your ex. Do I need to run interference?"

  I tell her no by shaking my head, but my eyes drift to just past the dance floor, past Opal, falling on to the blonde.

  Does CJ look incredible? Of course she does. Her body is incredible, that's why she can pull off something like that.  I wasn't a huge fan of her showing herself off like that when we were together, but I knew she was leaving with me, so what was the harm. I'm sure that's how Caleb feels now as well. 

  "Good. Because your girl, is pretty much perfect for you," she lifts Laura's glass of wine to her lips. "How long an engagement do you think you'll have?"

  "I'm not sure," I say, still watching the active scene in front of me. My eyes narrow a bit, brows furrowing as I watch CJ step on to the dance floor towards Opal.

Opal POV

  I try my hardest to be present here in the moment with Laura, seeing her dance so freely. Her happiness and joy seems to attempt to radiate off of her. I'm just wishing I could feed off of it myself. 

  "Lighten up, Opal," she calls out to me.

  I move in closer towards her, as not to shout. "The girl Janie was talking about?" Laura nods. "That's Chris' ex." 

  Laura stops dancing suddenly, opening her mouth to speak but nothing comes out. "Earth to Laura!" 

  She focuses back on me after glancing over to CJ. "You're joking?" she teases me.

  "I wish," I sigh. 

  Laura puts both of her hands on my shoulders. "You're hotter," she winks at me. I don't hold back the eye roll this time, and scoff freely at her joke. Her eyes look up past me once more. "Any reason she'd be coming over to talk to you?"

  My stomach knots up at her words. Why would she be wanting to speak to me? 

  "Opal, right?" I feel a hand on my shoulder, causing me to turn towards the voice.

  "Hey, Callie is it? Or do you prefer CJ?" I ask giving her a friendly smile because let's face it, I am me. I'll give most anyone the benefit before doubting. 

  "I answer to both," she says, swinging her long blonde ponytail slightly. Her hair wasn't close to that long a couple months ago so I know she's got in extensions. "And you are?" she asks motioning towards Laura.

  "Hi," Laura starts, holding her hand out. "I'm Laura, Spencer's wife." 

  "Oh, right! Sorry we couldn't make it to the wedding. I'm sure it was wonderful," her voice sickeningly sweet. "So, visiting Chris again?" her attention back towards me. 

  "I am." Keeping the answers short but noticing her eyes light up suddenly.

  "Dance with me," I hear whispered in my ear as I feel the hand I know so well rest against my back, that familiar peace returning.

  "Excuse me, will you?" I say to both Laura and CJ.

   Chris doesn't speak to either of the women, but moves me further away towards the middle of the dance floor. I bring both of my hands to settle against the back of his neck as his own wrap around my waist. "Thank you," I say quietly.

  "For what?" he gives a side smile.

  "For always being my saving grace."

  "Always, sweetheart," he tells me as he places a simple kiss on my forehead. 

  We sway to the music, staying in our own little bubble as long as we can. That is until our attention is startled by the sound of a man yelling.

  "Woo!" Spencer yells out a second time, louder than the first. We look over to notice he's spinning Laura around in his arms. The band so startled that they've stopped playing as well. "I'm having a baby!"

  Chris and I both separate from one another, clapping and laughing along with our friends and the rest of the guests. Spencer sets Laura down before crashing his lips to hers quickly. 

  I notice a couple of guys from the band whisper with one another before the next song starts, sending the entire room into another fit of laughter as the first verse starts. 

You're havin' my baby
What a lovely way of sayin' how much you love me
Havin' my baby
What a lovely way of sayin' what you're thinkin' of me
I can see it, your face is glowin'
I can see it in your eyes, I'm happy you know it

That you're havin' my baby
You're the woman I love and I love what it's doin' to ya
Havin' my baby
You're a woman in love and I love what's goin' through ya

  Spencer sings loudly, along with the soloist from the band, making Laura's face go bright red. We stand there, watching them enjoy this moment, Chris' hand resting against my upper back where the material of the dress is absent. A chill runs down my spine as his lips brush against my ear, "Can't wait for the day we're dancing around our kitchen to this song." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
62.8K 1.6K 34
#1 in boston April 27th #1 in evansfamily April 15th #1 in scottevans April 14th #1 in exboyfriend July 8th #5 in sistersbestfriend April 14th "𝓼𝓱�...
7.8K 268 63
Zoe William's life has been lonely beginning being left at a Boston police station when she was 5 with no memories besides her name . She has never f...
59.2K 2.1K 30
~~Completed~~ Formally The Willing Assistant 'His intense gaze made her feel like he already knew her, and she couldn't help but feel self-conscious...