One Shots Anthology

By fieryphila

One book, different plots. One book, different meanings. One book, different endings. One book, different sto... More

Read This First
Beauty
Valentine's Gift
How Dare You?
Until Midnight
Clue of the Wooden Staircase
Cupid and Psyche
Uno with a Twist
Plagiarism
Wrong Love Gone Right
The Girl He Told Me Not To Worry About
Wanna Play?
Electricity
Belated Warning (not a one shot)
Flowery Words
Science Greek
Nanay Tatay
Nanay Tatay (Part 2)
My Sickness Didn't Kill Me, He Did (Part 1)
My Sickness Didn't Kill Me, He Did (Part 2)
My Sickness Didn't Kill Me, He Did (Last Part)
30 Days of Hell (own version/revised)
Zeus
Happiness Isn't Allowed
Promise
Midnight Dream
Left
Ate
That Girl Is -
Karagatan (POETRY)
Philophobia
Philophobia: Part 2
Philophobia: Part 3
Philophobia: Finale
Thank you!
Maling Akala
Panindigan o Pabayaan
Notice [an author's note]
Plane Crash
Untitled Poetry
Schizophrenia
Happy Birthday
Past or Present?
Leaving or Waiting?
Note:
Promotion
Summer Secret
Hana and Haki
Walang Tayo
366 Days
Closure o Comeback? (HER POV)
Closure o Comeback? (HIS POV)
Closure o Comeback? (FINALE)
Unforeseen Warmth
Three-Month Rule
Finding Myself
Öga for Öga
Stolen Groom
The Guy in my Dreams
Acceptance
First Love Never Dies
Jealousy
That Night You Called

Her Unreadable Romance

62 8 0
By fieryphila

DISCLAIMER: This is a full english story because this was written for educational purposes. I deeply apologize for the grammatical and spelling mistake. This was also written firstly on Google Documents and this looks like a script, so yeah.

——

HER UNREADABLE ROMANCE
Written by: Zandra Mae Cozo

Narrator: Aquila Cassidy Verdilla is the eldest child of their family. But even if she's the eldest on their family, she's the most hated by their lineage in both sides because of her reading disability called Dyslexia. She is shamed by her own family, they were the reason why she stopped attending her home classes.

Mother: You embarrass me, Aquila! I don't have a daughter who's stupid as you! Why can't you read? It's so simple, Aquila!
Aquila: Really, Mom? If it's easy for you, then it's not for me! When will you understand that I have a reading disability, huh?!
Akisha (2nd daughter): Reading disability? I'm studying Psychology, ate, and it's not even existing! You're just dumb, stop making illnesses to cover up your stupidness.
Aquila: (felt offended and hurt) You know what? It's a shame to have a family like you. I hope karma will  get to you one day.
Mother: Oh, really Aquila? And when did you learn to disrespect us like that, huh!? From now on, you will stop from studying. No more home classes for you! Stay dumb, my shameless daughter.

AQUILA'S POINT OF VIEW: All my life, I tried to believe that I am normal, that I'm capable of doing something that every person has an ability to do so. But while I was growing, my family made me realize that I'm incomplete, that I'm a disgrace in our family. Ever since I've learned about my Dyslexia, I put in all my effort to make them understand that it's my illness that's been stopping me, but it's tiring to prove and explain yourself everyday knowing that the people that you've been explaining to are close minded.

To ease up the heavy feeling, I went to the book store to buy some books to read. Funny, right? But yeah, I'm kidding. I'm here to buy art materials. I can't read but I can draw. I express my feelings using art most of the time. In short, doing art is my comfort hobby.

Narrator: She went inside the book store and passed by the section of fictional books first. How did she know? This book store helps people with Dyslexia to identify the category of books by having a detailed logo in every part of the book's section. She passed through her fingers in the line of books then stopped in a thick and old looking book with no seal and title.

Aquila: (on her mind) What's this? A chronicle? (chuckles) It's like a fantasy story book, but why is there no context? Is this even a book?

Narrator: She bought some art materials and she doesn't know what came inside her mind but she bought that mysterious book, because she feels something unexplainable to it. A connection perhaps?

When she arrived home, she scanned all the pages of the book but she found nothing, so she drew a portrait of a man and a woman instead. It's a picture of a man lying in a hospital bed with a woman holding the man's hand. She just shrugged after posting it on the wall then went to sleep.

AFTER 7 HOURS

Narrator: She woke up at 11 o'clock in the evening. She heard her alarm but she don't remember setting it to alarm earlier. She sighed as she realize that she skipped dinner again just like what she did yesterday night. She was about to turn the alarm off when she noticed that the empty book fell on the floor, however, when she looked at her door, it was locked from the inside.

AQUILA'S POINT OF VIEW: The dizziness in my head suddenly disappeared when I saw the book lying on the floor. How did it fall? After several seconds of thinking, I picked it up then opened it. To my surprise, I saw a moving picture on the first page, or should I say, a video?

I crumpled my eyes. I must be dreaming, this is not real! This book was empty before I sleep. I must be still sleeping, right? How could a book have a video inside? As far as I know, Halloween is still far, what kind of sorcery is this?! My hands are shaking while watching the video. When I flipped over the page, it's still empty. Only the first page has the context.

As my curiosity bothers me, I still tried to watch the video. Even though it's weird, I'm interested in the story that it sends to me.

(sounds of loud knocks)

Aquila: Who is it?
Austin (3rd among the 6): I-it's me.
Aquila: (unlocked and opened the door) Austin? What are you doing here? It's already late.
Austin: I...I wanna say sorry, are Cass.
Aquila: For what...? You never did anything wrong to me, Aus.
Austin: (sighs) I wanna say sorry on behalf of Mommy and Ate Akisha. They are too mean to you. But ate, don't leave me here, okay?
Aquila: (smiles) Once I get successful, I will get you out of here, okay? I won't let you experience the toxicity in this house. Now, you should take a rest. It's already 11, Aus.
Austin: (kisses Aki's cheek) Good night ate, I love you!

Narrator: When Austin dozed off, she locked the door again and opened the book. The video played by itself and the story reflects on an 11-year-old boy who has been bullied by several high school students. No one helped him, people just laughed at him, and Aquila realized that they were bullying him because of his exam scores. He got a non-passing score and he's a part of the star section.

Her tears fell by watching that scene. It affects her so much because she experienced bullying when she was still studying in her old private school. When she finished watching it, she suddenly felt dizziness and sleepy.

——

When Aquila woke up, she felt that something's not right, but she couldn't figure it out that's why she did not give attention to it. That day, she decided to jog from their house to the convenience store near her old school. She did not even bother to say goodbye to her mother nor siblings because she already lost her respect to them—except for Austin, of course.

She jogged for around 30 minutes then passed through the elementary building in her old school. She was smiling the whole time because she used to stay here during lunchtime. She was about to continue walking when she saw something that caught her attention. It was a group of students that's obviously bullying a boy who she thinks that he's the same age as the bullies. Without having second thoughts, she opened the back gate then ran to their direction.

Aquila: Hey, stop that!
Bully 1: And who are you? How did you even get here?!
Aquila: (ignores the bully, helped out the victim) Are you okay?
Victim: T-thank you...I-I'm okay..
Bully 2: Miss, I suggest that you should not interfere. This is none of your business.
Aquila: He's the friend of my sister, so this is my business. Stop bullying, or else I would report this to your teacher. Do you get that!?
Bully 2: We're not scared of you, you don't even study here!
Aquila: Oh, I'm so sorry but I'm in the college department, perhaps....you wanna meet my professors? (smirks)

The bullies ran away because they got scared. She just chuckles then talked to the boy. When she looked at him, she froze because of sudden realization.

It was the same appearance of the guy on the book that she viewed last night. When she analyzed the scenarios, she knew that what happens in the book, also happens in real life.

When she went home, she immediately eat breakfast before going up in her room. As expected, her mother gave her a nonsense lecture again that she did not evem bother to listen to. When she entered her room, she locked it and grabbed the book under her bed. She sighs as she stared to it, why does she feels scared, curious, and excited about it? She wants to confirm if what happened earlier wasn't a coincidence but to her bad luck, the paper disappeared when it was touched by the tip of her finger.

"Maybe I don't know how to read, but in terms of logic, I can say that I'm smarter than our top achiever in class before," she thought to herself.

She set her alarm at 11 pm again, just like yesterday, new video of a story appeared in the next page. Now, it's a story of a girl who's been abused by her  father at the age of 7. She wasn't emotionally and mentally prepared for it. And because she wanted to change what happened to her, she immediately went to sleep and then next morning, she hurriedly went to the place where did it happened. It looks familiar that's why she eventually knew the location.

Just like what she did with the kid yesterday, she gave the girl a chocolate ice cream as a treat. It's just odd because the girl and her mother looked familiar to her, not just them, but the situation, too. She felt that it also happened to her before, but she couldn't remember when did it happened.

Those kind of scenarios happened everyday. She understood that once she watches a scene or story from that book, it will arise after she wakes up. Those  were horrible events that happened to an individual in the past, and her role is to save them from that situation, but it doesn't apply in real life. They won't be saved on that real-life event because it already occurred.

Until one night, she watched the story of this mysterious guy, and the ironic thing is, she felt some "butterflies" in her stomach while watching him; he's a tall tan man—around 6 feet, clean-cut hair, probably around 21 years old, has an average fit body, deep set brown eyes, thick eyebrows, and a rosy downward-turned lips. She doesn't know what to do because it's her first time meeting an adult in that book. His problem? He doesn't know what to choose between these two courses; psychology or medicine, medicine is what his parents want for him, and psychology is his dream. She understood that it was a two-year throwback because of his actions. When they met, she did not expect his personality. It was far from the book that she watched last night.

Aquila: Hey, u-uhm...what's bothering you?
Guy: (frowns) Who are you?
Aquila: (shocked and speechless, the guy from the book was nice!) I-I'm Aquila.
Guy: How did you get here? It's my private space, Miss Aquila.
Aquila: I..I didn't know..
Guy: Leave.
Aquila: W-what? No! I mean, I know that you have a problem..You can tell me..Maybe I could help you.
Guy: You're a stranger, Miss. Why would I tell you a problem of mine?
Aquila: I will tell you my secret if you will tell me your problem. You wanna bet on that?
Guy: What secret?
Aquila: Oops! Not so fast, spill your problem, Mister.
Guy: (sighs, and gave up out of curiosity) Okay, Aquila, I'll trust you with this. I-I'm having second thoughts regarding what course to take in college right now.
Aquila: Why?
Guy: My mother wants me to take Medicine since she came from a family of doctors. But I want to study Psychology 'cause I believe that this path is for me.
Aquila: You know what? I'll tell you my secret. I actually have Dyslexia, as a person who wants to study Psychology, I think you already know what that is. My family couldn't accept it, neither do I. But...what am I supposed to do? Hate myself to death? My mother is forcing her own belief that I'm just making this up. Even my sister who studies Psychology doesn't believe me, funny right? So instead of following what they want for me, I followed my heart. I stopped studying even though I'm attending home school. Why did I stop? 'Cause very right from the start, I know that this is not the right time for me to study. Yes, I'm an adult already, but what can I do if I'm ill? Maybe our parents are the reason why we're here, but it's not their duty to decide for our future. You, as person, knows what's the best for yourself. Choose what you want, be what you want, because your career and your future relies on you, and not on anybody else. Go, chase your dream, your mother will understand, trust me.
Guy: Woah...I-I'm sorry. I did not expect that. I'm totally out of words.You're good at that huh?
Aquila: (shyly smiles) I just kinda get used to it.
Guy: You know what? It helped me. I'll just tell it to my mom. And I hope that your family will understand what you're going through.
Aquila: Wait! W-what's your name...?
Guy: I'm—

Narrator: He was about to tell his name when everything went back to normal. She was surprised to see him again for the next few days. But as the day goes by, the scenes doesn't match to what happens everyday. And as the days went on, the time they have together are getting shorter. Then she noticed that he is guiding her, instead of her guiding him.

Aquila: Can I ask something?
Guy: What is it?
Aquila: Who are you?
Guy: (froze) W-what do you mean?
Aquila: We've been talking and doing adventures together since the day we met and...you haven't told me your name yet. Every time I ask you, you'll just disappear..then once we're together again, feels like nothing happened.
Guy: (caressed her cheeks) It's not yet the right time, love.
Aquila: (shocked) W-what?
Guy: (chuckles) You're so cute, love.
Aquila: Why are you calling me that..?
Guy: Why? Hmm, you don't like it?
Aquila: I-It's not that but...it just means that.. you..uhm, nevermind!
Guy: Yes, Aki, I do like you.
Aquila: (mixed emotions, surprised) I do li—
Guy: But we can't be together, love.
Aquila: What?
Guy: (handed her a letter) T-take this, love. I'm so sorry to say this late but...t-this is our last meet for now. I-I want you to take the money inside and do a treatment for your sickness, okay? T-then pursue your dream to be a teacher, do you get me, my Aki?
Aquila: (teary eyed) W-where are you going? D-don't leave me here, please..
Guy: (pulls her for a tight and warm hug) We'll see each other soon, love. Go and reach your dreams for yourself. Make your family proud. Me? I'm already proud 'cause I know that you'll exceed everyone's expectation. Once you reach your dreams, read that letter for me, then you'll find me. Do you promise me, Aquila?
Aquila: P-please...no...
Guy: Aki, please, we're running out of time.
Aquila: (sighs in defeat) I-I promise.
Guy: I love you, Aki, 'til we meet again..

Narrator: She went back in her room after the guy disappears. She learned that the guy is real, he's existing. She spent the day in her room, crying alone. It's rare for her to find an ally in this cruel world. Only Austin was her comrade, not until when she met him. He became her friend, her other half, who supports her in every decision she make. He doesn't tolerate her for her bad behavior, and that's one of the reasons why she fell for him.

That letter gave her strength and motivated her to continue living. Even if she's shy, she used the money inside the floral envelope that the guy gave him. She went to a psychiatrist, and it took her 2 years before overcoming it. She continued studying while having her treatment, and at the same time, working because she doesn't want to rely on her mother anymore. And guess what? She pursued Education and Psychology on college. When she went to the psychiatric hospital, she found people—especially children and teens—who has the same condition as her. And her goal? To teach and cure them so that they won't carry this illness on their adult days, unlike her.

She succeeded, and did her plans in life. She's the most known and famous Dr. Aquila Verdilla M.D. in the Philippines. Her family was stunned when they saw her on national television. Her mother scheduled a family dinner with her which she accepted. One thing he taught her; learn to forgive, but not to forget. They're still her family after all.

Mother: Cass...? Is it really you?
Aquila: (smiles) I did not change, Mom. Should we order?
Narrator: Aquila called the waiter, read out the menu, and ordered their food. They still couldn't believe that their eldest who has Dyslexia is the most successful among them now.
Akisha: Y-you really knows how to read now.
Mother: W-what did you do, Cass? How is this even possible?
Aquila: Let's just say that, Austin supported me and believed me since then. And a special someone, too. They believed that I can do it. Right, Aus?
Austin: Yes ate. I'm beyond proud, actually.
Mother: God, Cass. You still can't forgive us? It was a long time ago!
Aquila: I don't care if it was a long time ago, Mom! Are you aware how did it affected my mental health?! You don't even care about my illness!
Mother: It was just one mistake!
Aquila: JUST one mistake? How sure are you, Mom?
Narrator: Everyone went silent after that. Aquila stood up then looked at Austin.
Aquila: I'll take Austin with me. I'll be his guardian from now on. If you don't agree, meet me in the court and call your lawyer. You can't support his studies and I'm afraid that you'll destroy his mental health, so I'll take care of him. Enjoy the dinner, Verdillas. I hope that this will be our last meet.

Narrator: She left the dining hall with Austin. She's proud of herself because after years of being silent, she finally had the chance to let them hear her voice. This is one of the bravest acts that a child who grew up in a toxic family could ever do; speaking up about their problem especially if it is about their mental health. Nowadays, our parents do not consider depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses as existent disorders because, for them, we're just acting and making it up to escape something, for example; studies. Dear teens, children, students, who suffers from a mental illness, please, don't let anyone silence your voice. Don't be afraid to speak up, because after all, it's your right to defend yourself. Do not let anyone disrespect you, and invalidate your feelings. YOU ARE HEARD. And to parents, open up your mind, listen to your children, they are not robots. They feel something bad too, they also suffer from mental disorders and it wasn't their imagination, sometimes; it's caused by their family, especially parents. Don't let your madness ruin them, ask them if how are they and let them be open to you. LET THEIR VOICE BE HEARD.

She provided the needs of Austin and supported his studies. And when the right time came, she opened the letter that the guy has given to her.

Aquila: Iñigo Dion Borromeo, 24 years old, born on December 14, a-and he's at Philippines Heart Center? W-why..
Aquila: (teary eyes, sobbing) H-he likes me ever since we met...h-he's existing. B-but why is he in the hospital..?

My Dearest Aki,

        Hey love, how are you? I wanna congratulate you if you're reading this, 'cause finally, you succeeded in dealing with your Dyslexia. I think I don't need to remind you, but I'm so proud of you, love. God knows how much I want to hug and kiss you, but I can't. I'm still lying in the hospital bed once you read this. I hope that I would still wake up once you see this. I wanna court you, I wanna treat you like my queen, I wanna marry you. But I know that once I wake up, I won't remember anything. Please love, be patient with me. Help me remember everything that we had. To be honest, I'm under a curse. It's hard to believe it but it's the truth. An old woman cursed me for lucid dreaming into my co-patient's dream. In exchange, I won't wake up from my coma until a girl named Aquila Cassidy Verdilla could read. You were my mission, but I ended up falling in love with you. I want to be with you, so please love, help me wake up. I'll be waiting you, okay? Anyways, I'm Iñigo Dion Borromeo, 24 years, born on December 14, and currently at Philippines Heart Center.  I love you so much, Aquila. I'll make you my Mrs. Borromeo, I promise.

Sincerely yours.
Iñigo B.

Narrator: She hurriedly went to that hospital and she saw Iñigo was already awake. Of course, he said on the letter that once she reads it, he'll wake up. And she was hurt because he couldn't really remember her. He's always pushing her away but she never gave up. Why? Because that's what you're supposed to do when you're in love right? You sacrifice and put in all your efforts for the person you love.  No matter how tired you are, no matter how toxic the relationship is, you'll do everything to save that relationship. Reason? You love that person, you're mentally, physically, and emotionally attached to him/her. You want them to be your lifetime partner. And if you want that to happen, love isn't just the answer to that. Doesn't mean that you're in love, you're both ready to commit 'til marriage. Some people date for fun, some date for marriage. Make sure that both of you have the same goals. Both of you wants it. Remember; there's no divorce in our country, so you must be sure if you wanna spend your lifetime with that person. If you fight, communication is the key, talk, communicate, fix the problem. Both of you must go for healthy and matured relationship, you're not after for puppy love. And remember that love is not always about relationship, it is about yourself too. Love yourself, in much easier words. Spend time with yourself, because no matter how important your partner to you, once you gave your all to them, it's yourself that you will lose. So, always give the large percentage for yourself that anybody else. Stop trying to make that person to be your everything, because YOU EXIST, and YOU is much more important than your partner. Keep that in mind.

She went inside Iñigo's hospital room while he's sleeping. She sat beside him and held his hand, while begging and wished to God that Iñigo will finally remember her.

Austin: When will you give up, ate? Kuya Iñigo couldn't remember you.
Aquila: I'm still not gonna give up, Aus. I've come this far because of him. I will never give him up. This is just temporary. He will eventually remember me. Maybe not today, but soon.
Austin: Whatever, ate. I'll just support you. Anyways, here (handed her a piece of paper) I saw this in your room on our house and when I was cleaning my room, I found it. When did you drew this? And look, this is the same as the picture I took earlier.
Aquila: H-huh? Why does it seems..
Austin: Ate, I think you should show this drawing of yours to him. Maybe, he'll remember you.

Narrator: The next day, when Aquila showed Iñigo her drawing, his head hurts that's why she called the doctor. They told her that they will examine him for several days. After a week, she went back to the hospital and a warm, tight, and longing hug welcomed her. He finally remembers her. It was effective. When he was fully healed, they enjoyed their time being with each other. Both of them became a partner in terms of work. She's the psychiatrist, and he's the teacher who teaches the people with Dyslexia how to read. Iñigo was a professor in Aquila's old school before he was in coma. Aquila also found out that Iñigo was the boy in her first encounter with the book, while she was the girl who's been abused by her mother, that's why her mother is now on jail. He also told her that all of the stories in the book were about the both of them, it's their life story and they were proud to overcame it. He courted her for 3 months, been a couple for. 4 years, engaged for 1 year, and on December 14th—Iñigo's birthday, is also their wedding day.

Aquila: We did it, love, finally, after almost 10 years, I'll be your Mrs. Borromeo.
Iñigo: It's still early, can I say "I do" now? Well, I guess no need, you're already my wife anyway.
Aquila: I love you, love. 'Til death do us part?
Iñigo: I love you more than my life, 'til death to us part, Mrs. Borromeo.

Narrator: But on the day of their wedding,
Iñigo died.

He died because of the car accident that triggered his leukemia. She found out that it was never cured. After 10 years, it's the first time that she'll undergo breakdown again. She had her first ever experience with anxiety and depression. She depended her life on him. And now that he's gone? She doesn't know what to do with her life anymore. She did not even experience to say "I do" in front of the altar while exchanging wedding vows with him.

The scariest thing about love is when the other one passed away, your life will never be the same again. Having your partner died is much more harder than having a break-up or being cheated on. Because she knows, that Iñigo will never come back no matter what she do. Iñigo will just be a memory that she will never forget. Iñigo indeed became her partner, but not for lifetime. "'Til death to us part" was indeed true, the only difference is, Iñigo is literally dead, while she's mentally and emotionally dead. Everyday, she's been praying to God to bring him back, because he was her friend, her family, and her husband. He's her home. She realized that a person can be your home. One person could be your partner, your friend, and your family in one.

Austin couldn't save her, too. She even dropped her work and license as a psychiatrist. She wanted to do something that she knows she'llwas feel serene and tranquil. She loved herself, she healed herself, but she never loved another guy again. And she took his surname, Borromeo, and made it as her legal surname. Because for her, Iñigo  her first and last love. Everyone were in shocked too. No one ever thought that from...

Dr. Aquila Verdilla M.D.
then
Ms. Aquila Borromeo
to
Sister Aquila Borromeo

Instead of making her life miserable, she became a servant of God. She served her wholeheartedly. Who would have thought that she'll do that? Even fortune tellers couldn't tell what will happen to her. And Aquila has no regrets.

Because for her, even if her life's unreadable, and she had the inability to read in the past, there is one thing that's readable to her, and that's the lesson that she had learned from her dreams, her family, her experiences, and of course, the lessons that Iñigo taught her. No one or nothing could ever replace that.

And her motto? Even if she cannot read again, Iñigo's words will remain unforgettable for her that will lead her to success again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 18.7K 9
" Noon pa man, dapat alam mo na iyon. Hindi ko man sabihin sa 'yo, dapat alam mo na. Hindi kita uuwian gabi gabi kung hindi kita mahal." - Keith Fran...
SPG By JaiWrites

Short Story

28.2K 71 15
SPG
42.7K 2.3K 37
Obsession #1 Elvis Craig Pendleton is an obsessive person. His behavior turns into madness when he met the poor boy, Ken. That madness pushes him to...
339K 8.2K 16
She is a well-known actress. She knows how to act, and to fake her emotions, even her civil status. Who would have thought that she is already marrie...