Every New Beginning... (Chris...

Autorstwa belleofmarvel

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginnings End I'd have been completely fine, living in my littl... Więcej

.1.
.2.
.3.
.4.
.5.
.6.
.7.
.8.
.9.
.10.
.11.
.12.
.13.
.14.
.15.
.16.
.17.
.18.
.19.
.20.
.21.
.22.
.23.
.24.
.25.
.26.
.27.
.28.
.30.
.31.
.32.
.33.
.34.
.35.
.36.
.37.
.38.
.39.
.40.
.41.
.42.
.43.
.44.
.45.
.46.
.47.
.48.
.49.
.50.
.51.
.52.
.53.
.54.
.55.
.56.
.57.
.58.
.59.
.60.
.61.
.62.
.63.
.64.
.65.
.66.
.67.
.68.
.69.
.70.
.71.
.72.
.73.
.74.
.75.
.76.
.77.
.78.
.79.
.80.
.81.
.82.
.83.
.84.
.85.
.86.
.87.
.88.
.89.
.90.
.91.
.92.
.93.
.93.
.94.
.95.
.96.
.97.
.98.
.99.
100
.101.
.102.
.103.
.104.
.105.
.106.
.107.
.108.
.109.
.110.
.111.
.112.
.113.
.114.
.115.
.116.
.117.
.118.
.119.
.120.
.121.
.122.
.123.
.124.
.125.
.126.
.127.
.128.
.129.
.130.
.131.
.132.
.133.
.134.
.135.
.136.
.137.
.138.
.139.
.140.
.141.
.142.
.143.
.144.
.145.
.146.
.147.
.148.
.149.
.150.
.151.
.152.
.153.
.154.
.155.
.156.
.157.
.158.
.159.
.160.
.161.
.162.
.163.
.164.
.165.
.166.
.167. ~FINAL~

.29.

572 26 2
Autorstwa belleofmarvel

Third person POV

   "Tell me something," Opal says. Her crying has ceased, but for the time being she doesn't make a move to leave the comfort of Chris' arms. "One of your odd random facts."

   Chris chuckles, amazed that she remembered. "Hmm...ah! A chef's hat has exactly one hundred pleats in it."

Opal sighs. "That's not really interesting."

"But do you know why there's 100 pleats?" She shakes her head. "To represent the 100 ways to cook an egg."

Chris feels a small shake come across his chest as Opal laughs slightly. "I'll have to see if Mila has heard that before."

Opal sits up a little straighter, bringing herself away from Chris' chest. He moves his hands to rest on the floor behind him, leaning back. "Do you know what the first hockey puck was made out of?"

Opal's eyes go wide as she realizes she does know the answer to his question. "Frozen cow poop," she barks out, suddenly finding herself in an uncontrollable fit of laughter.

   "That would be correct. Could you imagine being the one that has to go out and locate the frozen cow patty? Talk about a dirty, smelly job."  He reaches up and softly rubs her cheek with his hand. "I'm sorry."

   "There's no reason for you to apologize, Chris." Opal begins to attempt to stand, removing herself from Chris' lap. "I'm sorry for crushing your legs," she tries to laugh. He moves to stand as well. "If anything I should be apologizing to you," she continues. "I didn't mean for you to come all this way." She moves over to the mirror that rests on the wall beside the door, taking note of the puffiness of her eyes again. "It wasn't necessary."

   Chris watches her, knowing that her actions and expressions aren't matching her words. "I told you, I needed to know with my own eyes, that you were okay. And do you know what I've seen?" He's standing behind her now, looking at her through the mirror. "You're not okay, and honestly I'd be concerned if you were."

   "I don't have a choice, but to be okay," she tells him, moving further away from him. "To be honest, if you hadn't shown up I'd probably be downstairs in my office working."

   Chris turns towards her, but doesn't move in her direction. "Well, I did show up, you don't have to be okay, and you're not working today. Instead, I'd like it if we both got a little rest, and then I'm taking you out." His words come across very matter of fact, even though he knows she's going to argue with him.

   Chris is surprised when she looks back at him, her expression soft. "Like a date?" she whispers.

   Now, he moves towards her again, knowing she's not looking to have a fight. "Yes. Like a date. Like a dress nice, pick you up, hold your hand, kiss you goodnight, date." He feels his own heart rate rise as he says the words.

   His words sent a shiver up Opal's spine. "I suppose it might take my mind off of things for a bit," nonchalantly. Not quite the reaction Chris was hoping for, but she didn't say no.

   Chris glances down at the watch on his wrist. "It's 11 o'clock now. Would 5 o'clock work for you?"

   Opal nods her head, and wipes at her eyes that have begun to fill with tears again, for completely different reasons than the rest of the day. She moves closer to the door, ready to leave Chris to rest, taking herself back to the carriage house to sleep. Before her hand reaches the knob she feels a grip on her arm, turning her. Before she knows it she's enveloped in Chris' embrace once again. This time though, she doesn't cry, she doesn't whimper. Instead, she smiles and matches the warmth of his hug.

~~~~~

Opal POV

   I'm unsure how, but I managed to sleep for almost five hours without tears and without nightmares. Looking at the time on the bedside clock I see I have exactly one hour to be ready for my date.

   A date. A real date. Chris had already given me a look into what tonight will be, and it sent a shock through me. A good old fashioned date.  The idea excites me, and maybe scares me all at the same time.

   I shave, shower and wash my hair. There are some things I don't have here at the Inn, like my straightener or most of my make up, but luckily for me I do at least keep a couple of make up items with me in my purse at all times. There's not a large assortment of clothes, a few I options I had left from the wedding weekend, and I'm unsure how fancy this date is going to be. Deciding I should check on that part of it, I send Chris a text.

Me- Fancy? or Casual? I don't have many options here.

Chris- got anything to mix the two? Fancy casual?

Me- never heard that one before. I'll see what I can come up with.

   After digging through the small closet I decide on skinny jeans, a mustard yellow long sleeve peplum top that is slightly flowy, and my brown flats. I'd prefer ankle booties, but I can only work with what I've got.  I do at least have the jewelry I was wearing last night, and it lays perfectly above the v-neck in my top.

   I decide I need to do something with this straight as a board hair, other than tossing it up. I put a small braid down one side of it and brush once more through the rest. Just as I place the brush on the counter, there's a knock across the door. My stomach suddenly a flutter with nerves.

   When I open the door, Chris is standing there, dressed in navy khakis and a grey crew neck sweater, looking impossibly yummy. Before he can come at me with his patented 'hi beautiful or hi gorgeous' I speak first. "Hi handsome."

   He smiles back at me, "you beat me to it. You look beautiful as always."

   "Thanks," I respond softly. For whatever reason, I suddenly feel very shy under the gaze of his blue eyes.

   "Ready?" I respond with a nod and grab my purse. Stepping out of the carriage house I lock the door behind me. "What is the plan?" I ask him, hoping to calm some of these nerves.

   "I thought we'd grab a bite to eat, and then I have a little surprise, if you're up for it," he says casually as he opens his car door for me.

   "We'll see," I tease, sliding into his passenger seat. Chris manages to snicker at my joke before closing the door behind me.

~~~~~

Chris POV

   "How did you even know about this place?" Opal asks me as I pull the car into a parking space.

   "Let's say, I did a little research before I fell asleep," I tell her. I notice her hand reach for the door handle. "No ma'am." She looks back at me confused while I quickly get myself out of the car and over to her side, opening the door for her.

   "You really don't have to keep doing that," she says with an eye roll.

   "Sweetheart, if I ever stop doing that, be concerned," I tell her honestly.

   During my research for things to do tonight I had stumbled across a restaurant that sits right on the river that runs through downtown. I was surprised when I called and they still had an available reservation, it is Saturday night after all.

   My hand finds the small of Opal's back, a place where I've touched her countless times already over the course of the few days together, as I open the door to the restaurant for her. The hostess checks my name against her list and directs a waiter to seat us. I couldn't prepare myself for the shocked face Opal revealed when we were sat beside a window, overlooking the river.

   "Officer Evans, you do surprise," she says. I take note of the small twinkle that seems to be returning to her deep brown eyes. It's a welcoming sight considering the turmoil she's been in the last twenty four hours.

   Normally, when she calls me by my title I smirk because of what it does to me. But this time, it feels so much sweeter that all I can do is give her a wide toothy smile, feeling like a proud little boy.

   We place our drink orders and then our food, deciding on an appetizer of stuffed mushrooms to share. Tonight the conversation comes easy, possibly because of all the phone conversations we've had over the course of the last five days.

   "I've gotta say," I start as the waiter places our meals in front of us, "sitting next to you for a meal is much better than seeing you through a screen."

   "Agreed," she says as she cuts into her balsamic chicken.

   "Have you ever been here before?" I ask before taking the first bite of my salmon.

   "Actually, no." There's a slight sadness that creeps across her face. "I was suppose to come here for an anniversary with a guy I was dating, but he actually text me thirty minutes before and broke up with me."

   "That's a douche move," I say before I think.

   "He said he was moving to Alabama and didn't want to do long distance," she retorts.

   This causes me to swallow my next bite harshly. "Oh."  Maybe that is what gives her the fears of long distance relationships.

   "I saw him two months later in the Times Union, under the engagements. He'd never moved, but had been dating a girl behind my back," she says with a shoulder shrug.

   I wasn't quite expecting that. "That is the definition of scum." She attempts to smile but decides to stare at her plate instead.

   "I've got a question for you." Time for an effort to get this back on track. "Okay," she answers slowly.

   "Will you remember me tomorrow?"

   She narrows her eyes, but at least she's looking at me again. "Yes."

   "Will you remember me next week?"

   "Assuming I don't get amnesia, yes," she smarts back.

   "Will you remember me in a year?"

   "Seriously?" she questions.

   "Just answer the question, Opal."

   "You don't have to get ornery. Yes, I'd like to think so," she responds.

   "Will you remember me in ten years?"

   I don't miss the faint look of hope that takes over her facial features. "I certainly hope so."

   Now, I attempt not to laugh. "Knock Knock."

   "Who's there?" she answers.

   "I can't believe you've forgotten me already." I raise my eyebrows, tilt my  head and hold back a smile. It doesn't last long as Opal busts out laughing, slapping my arm.

   "You jerk! That was mean. I thought you were being all sentimental and then bam. Hit me with the knock knock joke," she laughs out. I don't mind though, because in her laughter she rests her forehead on my arm, causing her to be even closer to me. I take the opportunity to place a simple kiss on the top of her head, all the while noticing the faint smell of her coconut shampoo. 

   Opal stills at my gesture, bringing her eyes up to mine. We remain gazing at one another for a few moments before she closes her eyes and speaks. "Thank you," she exhales softly. 

   "Anytime," I say, giving her a kiss on her forehead just before the moment is interrupted by my cell phone.  I pull it out of my pocket, taking note of the time before responding to the text message.  "Looks like we need to move on to our next stop." I make a small motion to the waiter who instinctively brings over the bill.

   "Isn't it my turn to pay?" Opal asks, raising a brow.

   "Nope," I say, popping off the P. "This is an official date and any woman I take on a date will never pay. Understood?" I toss over her favorite smug smirk.

   "Understood, Officer." Guess it's my turn to shiver.

~~~~~

   Our next stop, is compliments of Spencer and Laura. Opal doesn't know but we're joining them at a local bar for live music and dancing.

"Planning on spilling the beans yet?" she teases me.

"Wasn't planning on it." I make a left hand turn, following the short directions Laura sent me from the restaurant. Another five blocks and we reach the destination.

"No way!" Opal exclaims.

"I take it that this is an acceptable addition to the night?"

Her smile reaches far enough to crinkle the corner of her eyes. "Most definitely!" she squeals in delight.

I move around the car to open her door for her again. "What if I told you there's one more surprise, just inside?"

"What else could you possibly be planning?"

"Honestly, this part was all planned for us," I admit just before taking her hand in mine. There's no slightly brushing up against one another, will he won't she nonsense. I go all in, interlocking our hands together before bringing her hand to my lips. Unsure of how my boldness will be accepted, I'm thankful to find her eyes twinkling back at me and her hand squeezing mine.

   We walk hand in hand to the door, passing our ID over to the burly guy guarding the door. We've walked about ten steps in when Opal's eyes land on Laura and Spencer who are waving from a four top booth.  "Very unexpected," she calls out to me over the music as we make our way over to the couple.

   "I hope it's okay. We were invited," I tell her.

   "Most definitely. I mean, I'm kind of getting tired of you already so," she says playfully as her other hand reaches up to grab my arm.

   "Watch it, or you'll be walking home again," I say cocking my eyebrow, lips tight.

   "Guess I better hope for another knight in shining armor to come and rescue me then."

   "Again, that's my job, sweetheart. Dont be going and giving it away." Her confident, joking expression changes and she goes shy on me again. I've yet to see a side of her I don't like.

   As usual our moment is interrupted as Laura has come up and grabbed Opal away from me, apparently not pleased with our slow walk to their table.

   I follow behind, before being met with a welcome from both Spencer and Laura. Opal slides into the inside of the booth, across from Laura. I don't sit yet, instead preparing to grab drinks.

   "Well, what's it gonna be tonight?" I ask my date.

   "My usual please," she answers. "Rum and Coke it is," I say tossing her a wink before joining Spencer at the bar.

   The female bartender takes our order quickly. It's simple, three beers and a Shirley Temple, and before we can even start up a conversation we're headed back to the girls with drinks in hand.

   Conversation covers just about everything since the wedding last weekend, except for the break in last night. Spencer and I share a couple of our oddest calls this week, including but not limited to another streaker.

   "Why is it always men who streak?" Laura asks. "Surely y'all would prefer a female once in a while."

   Opal looks back at her friend, somewhat repulsed by the question. "Really, Laura?"

   "There have been some women, crack heads more than anything, and we leave those to Janie," I respond hoping to ease the discomfort of the topic for Opal.

"So, when does the live music start?" Opal asks her friend. Laura glances at the watch on Spencer's wrist. "In a few minutes."

I watch Opal lift her drink to her lips, sipping the mixture through her straw. Suddenly her eyes go wide as she sets her glass down. "It's our song! Let's go!" she yells to Laura. Both girls push us out of the booth so they can get to the dance floor. "You coming?" Laura asks us over her shoulder.
"We're good," Spencer answers for us both.

I scoot over to where Opal had been sitting, resting my back against the wall, angling my body towards the dance floor. I watch Opal, the same girl who was crying in my lap this morning, dance freely with one of her closest friends. She's carefree and it's a wondrous sight.

"How'd today go?" Spence asks me as he pulls at the paper on his bottle.

"Pretty much the way I thought it would. Lots of tears, few smiles, several hugs," I reply, still watching Opal on the floor.

He leans his forearms on the table causing me to
turn my attention to him. "Think she'll be okay?"

"It's my job to make sure she is," I respond just in time as the girls come back to our table.

A male voice comes from the microphone preparing to announce the performer. "We've got a treat in store for you all tonight. Help me in welcoming the amazing Edwin McCain!"

"Oh my gosh!" Opal yells, looking back at me. "This is incredible! What are the odds?" She takes my hand pulling me from the booth. We make our way down, closer to the stage. Opal stands next to me swaying to the music.

I stand in awe of her, unsure of if her attitude has changed because she's over the situation or because of me. I'd like it to be both, but mostly me.

I hear a key change in the music and recognize the song easily, a beautiful ballad. Subtly I move to stand behind Opal, wrapping my arms around her waist. I give her a bit of space, fighting the urge to pull her against my chest. My heart flips as she leans back into me on her own accord.

The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful
Stop me, and steal my breath
And emeralds from mountains, the thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth

And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love's suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

And rain falls, angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
And you're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive and not dead

And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love's suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

Well, I've dropped out
I've burned up
I've fought my way back from the dead
Tuned in
Turned on
Remembered the things that you said

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love's suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love's suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

The greatest fan of your life

I want to stay in this moment as long as possible, hopeful. Opal steps forward and out of my arms. "Are you ready?"

   "Whenever you are," I answer realizing that I may have made her uncomfortable.

   We say our good nights and walk into the cool Florida night. I don't immediately reach for her hand again, worried that I overstepped earlier.

   Opal stops walking a few cars away from mine. "Are you tired of holding my hand already?" she sasses with a smirk.

   I take a step closer to her, taking one hand in mine, the other reaching up to hold where her jaw meets her neck, just below her ear.  "Can I tell you something?" She doesn't speak, but nods slowly, her breath catching from my actions.

   "There's something attractive about a girl who is carefree and fun loving. But a girl that shows her vulnerability is another level of sexy. And today, you've shown me both."

   Opal remains slightly stunned by my words, her eyes going from my own to my lips. Reading the signs I lean in closer, still hesitant, prepared to kiss her forehead if I'm reading this moment all wrong. Before I know it Opal is leaning up and her lips meet mine. It matches the day we've had together, tender and soft. I'm the first to pull back, still remaining close. "I've wanted to do that all day," I admit to the stunning brunette in front of me.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

30.6K 997 17
Savannah Monroe knew working for Scarlett Johansson would be the opportunity of a lifetime. After all she had her daughter Grace to think about. What...
10.4K 227 54
"Listen I know we've been flirting and shit but that doesn't mean I like you, okay" I cross my arms again and slightly smirk. He smirks down at me an...
361K 10.9K 46
"I'm sorry" you said to him, not taking your eyes away from the screen. "I beg your pardon?" Now it was his turn to be confused. He turned to look at...
54.7K 2.9K 73
[COMPLETE & EDITED] *smut and fluff* *kind of slow burn* *chris evans X original character* All Caroline wants is a fresh beginning, she is tired of...