Every New Beginning... (Chris...

By belleofmarvel

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginnings End I'd have been completely fine, living in my littl... More

.1.
.2.
.3.
.4.
.6.
.7.
.8.
.9.
.10.
.11.
.12.
.13.
.14.
.15.
.16.
.17.
.18.
.19.
.20.
.21.
.22.
.23.
.24.
.25.
.26.
.27.
.28.
.29.
.30.
.31.
.32.
.33.
.34.
.35.
.36.
.37.
.38.
.39.
.40.
.41.
.42.
.43.
.44.
.45.
.46.
.47.
.48.
.49.
.50.
.51.
.52.
.53.
.54.
.55.
.56.
.57.
.58.
.59.
.60.
.61.
.62.
.63.
.64.
.65.
.66.
.67.
.68.
.69.
.70.
.71.
.72.
.73.
.74.
.75.
.76.
.77.
.78.
.79.
.80.
.81.
.82.
.83.
.84.
.85.
.86.
.87.
.88.
.89.
.90.
.91.
.92.
.93.
.93.
.94.
.95.
.96.
.97.
.98.
.99.
100
.101.
.102.
.103.
.104.
.105.
.106.
.107.
.108.
.109.
.110.
.111.
.112.
.113.
.114.
.115.
.116.
.117.
.118.
.119.
.120.
.121.
.122.
.123.
.124.
.125.
.126.
.127.
.128.
.129.
.130.
.131.
.132.
.133.
.134.
.135.
.136.
.137.
.138.
.139.
.140.
.141.
.142.
.143.
.144.
.145.
.146.
.147.
.148.
.149.
.150.
.151.
.152.
.153.
.154.
.155.
.156.
.157.
.158.
.159.
.160.
.161.
.162.
.163.
.164.
.165.
.166.
.167. ~FINAL~

.5.

642 19 7
By belleofmarvel

Opal POV

I stare back at the officer, trying to decide how to answer this question. I'll never see him again so I decide to answer him honestly.

"More than one, I can tell ya that," I laugh out.

The look he's giving me is asking me to continue. I take a sip of my drink and place it back on the bar. "I'm always the second choice."

"What does that mean?"

"I've been hit on three times tonight. Two of those were only after they were turned down by my friends first," I explain.

"And the third?"

"Well, the third wanted more information than I'm willing to give."

Chris quirks his brow. "I thought he just wanted to buy you a drink?"

"He did. But then I'd have had to tell him I don't drink and then he'd want to know why and I'd be locked into a conversation with a man I'm not even mildly attracted to, giving him the smallest hope that he had a chance when in reality he'd just be wasting his time." I'm suddenly winded by that explanation.

   He nods his head, seeming to be content with my answer. "So, why don't you drink?"

   I smirk at him thinking about my previous statement. Am I willing to fall into a lengthy conversation with the man in front of me? He's definitely attractive. His eyes are a piercing blue even though the lighting in the bar is dim.

   "Am I worthy of that conversation?" He apparently noticed my thoughts running across my face. "Or am I wasting my time?" He takes a pull from his beer, watching me.

   I'm about to answer when Laura comes to stand next to me. "Hey! I thought you were right behind me." She notices Chris next to me and changes her position, facing him fully, making sure he's getting a look at her best angles. He's unquestionably her type.  "Hi. I'm Laura," she says confidently placing her hand out to him. 

   "Chris," he says taking her hand in his.

   "Are you from around here," Laura begins her inquisition.

   "I am," he says simply.

   "You must work out." She runs her hand unashamedly up his arm. Like I said, she's the Samantha of the group and this is her signature move to let us know when a man is hers.

   I know my part in this moment is over as she has all but pushed me out of the way so Chris is focused solely on her. I pick my drink off the bar and walk away, looking for the other girls.

   I spot them directly across the way at a table this time. A perfect spot for me to continue watching Chris become enthralled with Laura.

   "That was quite a performance," Lily said referring to our singing. "Nice warm up for the wedding, maybe?"

   I roll my eyes at her. "Are you still on that?"

   "You're singing so you need to just get over yourself." I swear she reprimands me as if I'm a child.

   "What happened to the cutie you were chatting with?" Rae questions.

   "Laura," I sigh. "Guess I can't get too bothered by it. I did say I wasn't looking for anything tonight." Laura, however, well she's always looking and in a place like this I know she'll find it. Who am I kidding? She already has.

   "Want to dance?" Rae can tell I'm dropping into a funk. I shrug my shoulders and scoot out of the booth. She takes my hand leading me out onto the floor.

   It's perfect timing as Bruno Mars "Locked Out of Heaven" starts playing. Our little group are big Bruno fans. In no time Lily has also joined us. I'm sure if Laura isn't busy sucking face with Chris yet she should be showing up soon too.

   The beat of the song floods my veins as I sway to the rhythm. I find myself smiling, enjoying myself again in an effort to forget about the blue eyes and warm smile that threatens to cloud my mind.

The song hits a point where the downbeat is strong. I can't help but kind of stomp my foot a bit along with it. That is until my heel breaks and I start to tumble backwards. I brace myself for the impact I'm about to feel across my bottom but instead am caught.

My body reacts startled after having been braced for a fall. Along with the warm breath I feel against my ear, "I've got ya." I straighten myself up to turn and thank the kind stranger, shocked to find Chris holding onto me.

"Oh! Uh, thanks. I appreciate it." I'm looking anywhere and everywhere but at him, knowing Laura has laid claim and I'm not interested in a cat fight.

I make an attempt to hobble off of the dance floor, walking very strangely on a single three inch heel. I manage to shuffle over to the bar which actually has a couple of empty seats. I pull the broken heel off, exhaling a sigh of frustration. This trip has been incredibly eventful, and not in a good way.

"You okay?"

The kind, questioning voice pulls me from my self pity. "Sure."

Chris dips his head to bring me to eye level. "That didn't sound convincing." We've spent less than an hour together over two days and he can already read me like a book? Must be an officer thing.

I just shake my head and chuckle. "Nope. I'm good. All is good." Even I know that performance sucked. Chris however is not swayed and sits in the seat next to me. The bartender comes over to check on us both. I'm surprised to hear Chris order a bottle of water instead of a beer. I put my hand up, signaling a no thanks. "Trying to sober up for the rest of your night?" I'm feeling pretty brazen apparently.

Chris's face is filled with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"The epic night I'm sure Laura has promised. Want to make sure you can perform, right?" Blunt has become my middle name.

"You sure you haven't been drinking?" He questions with a laugh.

"Sober as the day I was born," I assure him. "So? Where is the conquest taking place? Your home? A hotel? I need to know where to pick her up tomorrow."

"Wow. Do you talk to every guy that's trying to hit on you like this? I mean I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've gotten more than a 'no," he adds, resting his right forearm on the bar, turning more towards his left to face me full on.

"Listen. You're not interested in me, trust me, I've been in this situation before. You don't have to try and save face," I affirmed even though I'm angry at myself for opening up to a stranger. "After tonight, we will never see each other again. So, go have fun with Laura. Tell her to text me the address." I shift my body to face the bar top directly, essentially ending the conversation.

Chris grabs the back of my barstool, turning me towards the left, further away from him. He points his left hand over my shoulder, just in my line of sight. "You may want to relay that message to Spencer." I gawk in the direction he's pointing, seeing Laura latched onto a man's face. He then effectively shifts my seat back, facing him. "Now. Why don't you drink?"

I should apologize for my shameless attitude with this situation, but again, I won't see him past tonight.

"I'm not interested in a trip to the hospital," I say, casually tucking my hair behind my ear.

Chris seems perplexed so I continue. "I take medication that prevents me from being able to drink. So unless I want to spend some time getting my stomach pumped I'll stick to my Shirley Temple and seltzers."

"Ok, okay. Makes sense. And from my view I never have to worry about pulling you over for drunk driving," he suggests.

"That too," I smile with a wink. "I'm the resident DD for all of these events." 

   "I'm sure your friends appreciate that."

   I roll my eyes. "Something like that."

~~~~~
Chris POV

   I'm glad to have set Opal straight on her assumptions with me and her friend. But, she's still being guarded.

   I want to tell her that she's had my attention since before I walked into Decker's but I get the feeling she'll find it as a pick up line. Could I tell her that I'm the one that tracked down the Uber and returned her purse to the hotel? Would that make this more awkward? I can't think on this any longer as I spy Cooper and Janie walking over.

"You're up, Evans," Janie tells me.

"I don't think so."

Opal quirks a brow. "What? Too scared?"

I'm scared you'll hightail it away from me again, I think but choose not to voice. "Scared?" I point to myself. "I've had bullets fly past me, even caught a couple in my vest. I'm not scared to sing."

"Sounds like you're up next then," Opal gives me a smug look.

I suck my tongue against my teeth and nod. "Let's do it then." I stand and follow Cooper.

I lean in close to tell the DJ what to play. Both Cooper and I pull on our Aviator sunglasses before the song starts. We reenact the bar scene from Top Gun.

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips
You're trying hard not to show it
But baby, baby I know it

You lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
You lost that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes when I reach for you
And now you're starting to criticize little things I do
It makes me just feel like crying
'Cause baby, something beautiful's dyin'

You lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
You lost that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh

Baby, baby, I'd get down on my knees for you
If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah
We had a love, a love, a love you don't find everyday
So don't, don't, don't, don't let it slip away

Baby, baby, baby, baby
I beg you please, please, please, please
I need your love, need your love
I need your love, I need your love

So bring it on back, so bring it on back
Bring it on back, bring it on back
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
'Cause it's gone, gone, gone
And I can't go on, whoa-oh
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
'Cause it's gone, gone, gone

I make sure to sing in Opal's direction. I find her trying to cover what I'm assuming is a blush rising in her cheeks as she's doubling over in laughter.

We finish to a round of applause and a few hollers from our fellow officers. Making my way back over to Opal I see she's slowly shaking her head, and a smile she can't hide. "So, uh, that guy is your wingman?"

"I guess so." I take my seat next to her again.

"Your wingman hit on me earlier."

My smile drops. "Are you serious?"

"Yep. He hit on my friend Rae first, but she's married so he just slid down the bar to me."

Unbelievable. I shake my head and rub my chin. "I'd like to apologize on behalf of my idiot partner."

"So, my turn to ask a question," she says.

"Shoot."

"How many times have you put on that performance?" There's that smug smile again.

I act like I'm doing the math in my head. "Counting tonight?" I ask. She nods. "Well, then, once."

I can tell she doesn't believe me. "Nope. Not possible. I bet you both have played as Maverick and Goose on multiple occasions."

She got the movie reference, that's for sure. "No ma'am. That was a first for me," I assure her. 

   Opal still doesn't appear to be convinced. She crinkles her nose at me and continues to shake her head, side to side. I toss my hands out in front of me, giving up. "Believe what you want, but that was the first. And honestly," I cut my eyes, "hopefully, the last." I watch her face as I say the last line.

Her lips threaten to curl further, towards her eyes. Before she can speak a woman in white walks up, interrupting the moment.

"Hey Ope, we need to head out. Rae's borderline."

  Opal stands up from her stool. She gives me a warm, genuine smile. "Nice to see you again, Officer Evans."

   Time is running out and I've not even gotten her number. "Can I get your number?" I'm pretty positive there's something here, it's just up to her now.

   She tucks her bottom lip in, softly biting it. Looking over at her friends waiting for her before glancing back at me. "No," she says quietly before walking away with her heels in her hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 115 25
Both growing up within a few miles of one another in their youth. And just a little further apart later on in life. Hollywood A lister Chris Evans...
63.6K 1.7K 34
#1 in boston April 27th #1 in evansfamily April 15th #1 in scottevans April 14th #1 in exboyfriend July 8th #5 in sistersbestfriend April 14th "𝓼𝓱�...
54.7K 2.9K 73
[COMPLETE & EDITED] *smut and fluff* *kind of slow burn* *chris evans X original character* All Caroline wants is a fresh beginning, she is tired of...
62.1K 2.7K 30
*~ COMPLETE~* What would you do if a stranger just walks up to you in a bar and kisses you? Push him off right? What if he asks you to save him from...