Complications~Grey's Anatomy

By wandamaxilover

Gisele Shepherd hadn't seen her big brother for a few years, so she decided it was time for a visit. During t... More

IMPORTANT
Prologue
Brand New Beginning
First Day
Bad Blood
The Face of Change
Hard Bargain
This Is Why We Fight
Transplant Wasteland
Idle Hands
She's Killing Me
Sleeping Monster
Do You Believe in Magic
Readiness Is All
Perfect Storm
Seal Our Fate
I Want You With Me
Puttin' on the Ritz
I Bet It Stung
Map of You
Somebody That I Used to Know
Get Up, Stand Up
Take It Back
Change of Heart
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Fear (of the Unknown)
Puzzle With a Piece Missing
Got to Be Real
Bend and Break
Don't Let's Start
Could We Start Again, Please?
Risk
All I Could Do Was Cry
The Distance
When I Grow Up
How to Save a Life
She's Leaving Home: Part 1
She's Leaving Home: Part 2
You're My Home
Sledgehammer
Walking Tall
I Choose You
Old Time Rock and Roll
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
The Me Nobody Knows
Something Against You
A Good Friend of Mine
Home Sweet Home
The Sound of Silence: Part l
The Sound of Silence: Part II
The Sound of Silence: Part III
Swimming in Miami
Keep Me In Your Heart
Odd Man Out
I Am Not Waiting Anymore
When It Hurts So Bad
I Wear the Face
There's a Fine, Fine Line
It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding) II
Trigger Happy
You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
Show In a Mysterious Desert
Mama Tried
At Last
Family Affair
Family Affair II
Famiky Affair III
Babymoon
La Dolce Vita
Braxton Hicks
Stay With Me
She Can't Be Dead
Amelia's Arrival
Weed, Wine, and Sushi
Naming Advice
What Happened?
Chirurgia and Yacht Parties
Out of Hospital
Packing Up
Emergency Landing
New York, New York
Detour
Diagnosis
Back in Seattle
SOS
Undo
News

It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding)

3.4K 91 19
By wandamaxilover

5 weeks pregnant

AFTER A LONG DAY, all Meredith wanted to do was snuggle with her kids and go to sleep. Walking into the house, she called out for the nanny but got no response, she looked over to the couch to see all her kids asleep on the couch with a random woman she'd never seen. Before she could make a move, she stirred awake.

Emmy stretched a bit; the child laying on her lap stifled her stretch, she turned and saw the woman that had irritated Gisele to no end when she first came to Seattle.

  "Hey." She casually said.

  "Hey? That's all you have to say," the blonde continued, "Who the hell are you and where is the nanny?"

   "Can you please chill out," Emmy stated, "I'm Emilia, Gigi's friend. I wanted to surprise her since she's going through a rough time."

   "Where's the nanny?"

Emmy shrugged, "She said she had some emergency or something. I said I'd watch them... You might want to get a new one."

    "Obviously."

Gisele laid on her bed in a patient room, in the dark for some added effect, she was bored out of her mind as shed flipping through the channels, there was not one show that interested her at all. Giving up, she let out a sigh of frustration and threw the remote at the end of the bed.

Moments later, Amelia walked in, holding one of Gisele's duffel bags, "I got one of the interns get some of your essentials and a change of clothes," she dropped the bag next to her sister, she went over to the nightstand where the light switches were, as she turned them on she caught sight of her sister's laptop. It was a little concerning to see an article titled 20 safest and natural abortions methods, "That's an interesting read. You have something you want to share with the class?"

      "Nope, just some light reading."

      "You have some fascinating interests." Amelia sat down in the chair next to the hospital bed.

      "Just some morbid curiosity."

Amelia snorted, she was absolutely certain her baby sister was still contemplating having an abortion, she knew Gigi was leaning towards keeping it but was still hesitant about her situation, "I think its a little more than curiosity at this point."

Gisele sat up, sliding the duffle bag over to her and began to dig around for her change of clothes, "Don't you have some surgery to do or something ?"

    "No, said I'd move some things around and I did," Amelia said, "Why you don't want me here?"

She stopped searching though her bag and looked up at her sister, "I do want you here, I do. I just know that you have a big trauma in the ICU."

     "The patient's stable for now. Edward's been instructed to page me if anything changes."

    "That's good." she pulled out a pair of sweatpants, she paused when she found a blue t-shirt, it was faded and worn down, it had DUKE MED in big white letters across the chest that were splitting apart. Even from inside the duffle bag, it still smelt like him.

Amelia had looked up from her tablet, her sister had been a little too quiet for her liking, she noticed how watery Gisele's eyes were as she stared down into her bag, "You okay?" Gisele responded with a hum. She stood up, peering over her sister's shoulder, she read the words on the shirt and was confused, "Duke Med? Why do you have a shirt from Duke Med? You went to UCLA."

   Andrew walked in, saving her from having to answer Amelia's question.

     "Hi guys, just got the results from your blood work back and you're in fact dehydrated and anemic. Robbins wanted to hook up an IV, so you'd absorb fluids quickly," he held up a bag of fluids and a butterfly needle, "You're a little too dehydrated for her liking, so she wants you get two bags of fluid but we'll start off with one."

Gisele let out a groan, resisting the urge to throw herself against the bed, she hated having to take fluids, she didn't know how to describe it but she hated the feeling, "Let me get changed first."

Gisele began undressing right there, not caring who was in the room with her, which caused Andrew to become uncomfortable. "Uh, I'll come back in a little-"

"You don't have to just give me a second," she quickly changed out of her scrubs and into the clothes Amelia brought. The smell coming off of the shirt oddly comforted her yet angered her at the same time, "You can stab me now." she claimed onto the stiff bed and laid her head against the pillow.

"I'm not going to stab you."

"I beg to differ." Gisele stared up at the ceiling, hoping to distract herself from the burning sting from the needle digging around her vein, it seemed useless since it felt like Andrew was digging around even harder, "Ow, who the hell taught you to insert an IV," Gisele yanked her arm back and snatched the needle from his hand, "You suck at this."

In one try, Gisele had it perfectly placed in her vein and secured in it place with tape.

"Okay. you did that freakishly well." Andrew said.

"I know."

"That's it for now, Robbins will stop by later to talk about your scans." Andrew explained.

They thanked him before he left and they fell into comfortable silence. Gisele grabbed the tv remote and turned on the tv.

"Can you turn the light off?" Gigi asked, her head started hurting a little.

"Yeah," Amelia got up, turning off the light, "That's Jackson's, isn't it?"

Gisele was trying her hardest to forget about him, at least for right now, but it seemed the universe had other plans for her, "I don't want to talk about it." she answered, her eyes never leaving the screen.

"Okay," Amelia said, "Sorry I brought that shirt, it was the first thing in your drawer that I grabbed."

"It's okay."

"Have you told mom yet?" Amelia asked, breaking the silence.

Gisele shook her head, telling her mom would mean her nitpicking sisters finding out. They still treated her like she was a little girl which she hated, "No. I probably should but if I do then she'll tell Nancy, who'll want to give me advice on pregnancy then she'll tell Liz. Who will tell Kathleen and we both know she's the worst. She will quite literally treat me like I'm some pregnant sixteen year old. Then again, I haven't actually made a choice, so I don't have to tell her, I mean you didn't..." Gisele grimaced, she hadn't intended for it to sound rude or insensitive in any way, "Sorry, if that sounded insensitive in any way, I didn't mean it like that."

Amelia waved her off, "I know and if that's what you end up deciding then I'll keep it a secret, I mean it's the least I could do after you've kept my secret this whole time."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

There was a knock on the door and soon Arizona entered with a tablet in her hands, "Hey, I just got done analyzing your ultrasound," she made her way over to the light, about to turn it on when Gisele stopped her.

"Don't turn it on please, I'm starting to get a headache."

"Alright, we'll leave it off," Going over to her bedside, the blonde turn on the tablet screen, revealing the resident's ultrasound, "I was right, there are five embryos," Gisele groaned out in frustration, the universe really hated her right now, "You're estimated to be around five weeks along. This next part you're gonna love."

"I'm not loving any of this." Gisele commented.

"I mean you would if this weren't you." Arizona stated, the blonde pointed to the slightly larger blob on the left part of the screen, "This blob is four babies, monozygotic quads..."

There was too much excitement in her voice for Gisele's liking.

She ran her hand through her hair, "Oh my god."

"Wait, identical quadruplets, four identical babies." Amelia said in disbelief, even though she was a Nero surgeon, she knew the odds of that were extremely rare.

"Yes." Arizona confirmed, she then pointed over to a significantly smaller blob on the right, "This one over here is a singleton."

"So you're telling me that if the egg hadn't split four times, I would've just had twins," Arizona nodded, "God is screwing with me."

"I know you know this by now, you're officially considered extremely high risk and I'd highly advise you to multifetal reduction surgery. It's a procedure where-"

Gisele cut her off, "You use an ultrasound probe to see where you're going, then use a small needle and hopefully shove it into my tummy and not my vagina, where you'll then inject a drug into a fluid filled pouch which will quickly stop the fetuses hearts," she recited, having observed Addison do a few of them, "I know and I'll definitely be doing that, right now if possible."

"That's not how it works and you know it," Arizona said, "I'd like to wait till you're at least nine to twelve weeks at the earliest."

"Can we do it at nine weeks cause I have this really important thing at in seven-ish weeks and I really can't be fat."

Amelia slapped her arm, "You're not allowed to call yourself fat, and what are you going to be doing?"

"Just a thing, and I can't exactly back out now. I already committed to this months ago,"

Arizona squeezed Gisele's shoulder, "I'll take it into consideration. You'll stay the night and I will discharge you in the morning since it seems like you're doing better. How's that sound?"

"Good enough for me.'

"Great," Arizona smiled, "I'll send a nurse in to give you something for your headache, get some rest." The blonde bid her a goodnight and headed for the door.

"Arizona," Gisele called out, stopping her at the threshold of the room, "You have my permission to tell Jackson if you see him."

She nodded and exited the room.

"You're gonna be okay, Gisele."

"If you say so." Gisele mumbled as she rolled over to her side, pulling the blanket over her shoulders.

Half an hour later, Gisele's phone started ringing and seeing how her sister was sleeping, Amelia decided to answer. Looking at the screen, she saw Emmy calling.

"Hello." Amelia answered.

"Hello, Amelia?" Emmy questioned.

"Yeah, Gigi's sleeping right now."

"Really because Meredith said she was in the hospital."

"She is... wait, where are you?"

"Seattle, what's the room number?"

"1254, fourth floor."

"Great, I'll be there soon." Emmy said before hanging up.

Arizona walked into the attending's lounge, where Jackson was laying on one of the couches, his arm covering his eyes.

She sat down on the couch opposite of him, "Jackson, you awake?"

    "No, just resting. I have a surgery in an hour," he sat up, "What's up?"

     "I need to tell you something, it's about Gisele."

      "Is she okay?" He asked, worriedly.

    "Yes, as well as she can be with her situation. She gave me her permission to share her medical information with you, at least for now." Arizona went on to explain what was going on in her pregnancy, losing him the moment she mentioned quintuplets.

He paled at the thought, five babies, "Oh, wow, I'm going to have six babies. Woah, I don't..."

    "Actually, she's not. I advised her to have a reduction, which she agreed to, so we're going to do that soon,"Arizona explained, "Four of them are identical, so initially there were only two fertilized eggs but one of them split into four."

    "Wow, just our luck," Jackson moved to stand, "I'm gonna go talk to her."

Arizona grabbed his arm, stopping him, "I don't think that's a good idea, especially not right now. She doesn't seem ready to talk you, just give her some space."

  He found Catherine in one of the varies meeting rooms.

Hearing the door open, she looked up to see her son and immediately knew something was wrong, "Baby, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

He goes over and takes a seat next to her and begins to explain everything Arizona had told him.

She leaned over, gently caressing his cheek, "Everything will turn out just fine, you'll see. But Robbins is right, you should give her some space."

Eventually, Emmy found the room and quietly opened the door, entering she saw her best friend laying other side facing the other wall and in the chair was Amelia, who she hadn't seen in years.

The neuro surgeon looked up from her laptop where she was updating notes, a gorgeous tan woman walked in.

She gasped, recognizing Emmy, she stood going over to her and giving the tall woman a hug, "Emilia? Little Emilia Lopez, who cried because our names were so similar and cried harder when I told her she wouldn't change it."

Emmy rolled her eyes, "I was four."

    "You got tall..." Amelia had to go on her tippy toes just to give the model a proper hug, ".. and hot. What are you doing here?"

      "I've literally always been tall and like I wouldn't drop everything to come support my best friend."

Moments later, Gigi woke and was surprised to see Emmy sitting at the foot of her bed.

"Em, what are you doing here?" She sat up, scooting over making room for her.

Emmy climbed into bed next to her, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"It's really not, if anything you probably hate me more now."

"That's not true."

"Really, because you're pregnant with five babies."

"How do you know that?" Amelia asked.

Gisele didn't have to ask, she already knew, "She hacked into the system and looked at my file." Emmy nodded in confirmation.

"That's breaking so many laws."

Emmy shrugged, "It's actually not that surprising."

Gigi furrowed her brows, "What do you mean?"

"You literally have a family history of multiples," Emmy explained, "I mean didn't your grandma have thirteen kids, five of them quints and like two sets of triplets or something."

"You're right."

"You also have cousins that are quadruplets." Arizona added.

An hour later, Maggie and Meredith walked into Gigi's hospital room.

"How are you feeling?" Maggie asked Gisele.

"Slightly better."

"Good," she looked over at Emmy, "Hi, I'm Maggie Pierce."

"Emmy," she said before looking over at Meredith, "You must be Miriam."

From what Gigi had told Emmy about her sister in law, she was impressed or a fan, honestly she thought the general surgeon was a major bitch.

      "It's Meredith, Meredith Grey."

Gisele took Emmy's hand in her own, interlacing their fingers, getting her friends attention, "Hey, she's not public enemy number one at least not right now."

        "Any change?" Amelia asked about their patient.

Meredith sighed, "No."

      "Wasn't Warren's thing today?" Gisele asked.

      "Yeah, how'd that go?" Her sister asked.

Gisele explained to Emmy how there was a resident in her year that sliced open a pregnant woman and did an emergent c section that resulted in both mother and baby dead.

     "It's still going." Meredith said.

       "It shouldn't be." Maggie said, "This is just Owen being kissed at Riggs. I mean I get that there's bad blood, but–"

Amelia cut her off, "Well, it's really bad blood. Owen only ever told me headlines, and I had to drag it out of him. It was impossible to get him to talk."

      "It's probably because you were talking." Meredith jokingly snarked.

     "Uncool."

      "Be nice."

      "At least she talks." Emmy added, having heard how Meredith would constantly put Amelia down for quite on quote 'not stuffing her feelings' enough.

      "Yeah, and you know Riggs cheated on Owen's sister." Meredith said.

Both Maggie and Amelia gasped in shock, "What?"

         "Who's Owen?" Emmy asked.

         "He's the guy Mae is hooking up with," Gigi lowered her voice to a whisper, "I don't like him."

      "That's why she got on the helicopter and disappeared because she was leaving him." Meredith continued.

        "Still, it's old business."

         "And he lied about it right to my face. He made up some sad story about how he tried to stop her from getting on that helicopter, but she had to save a patient and he had no choice. Made himself sound pretty good."

       "Wow, that's...." Amelia trailed off.

        "Psychotic, I agree," Meredith said, "So, Owen does not trust him, and I'm not inclined to, either."

          "You know, you shouldn't blindly trust everyone all the time." Emmy stated.

         "But that sounds like one person's side of the story, specifically his." Gisele said.

     "So you believe Riggs?" Meredith asked.

Gigi shrugged her shoulders, "I'm just saying, that was Owen's little sister. He's protective of her and Riggs was the one she loved, of course Owen hates him. It's just how I loathed you."

Meredith rose her brows, "You loathed me?"

Gigi nodded, "Yeah, of course, you quite literally hated me just for being here. You made it way harder on the other residents, especially me and Jo when you didn't need to. And let's not forget how you didn't let me say goodbye to my brother when he was dying," there was an awkward silence, "So, again. I just think that's Owens side of the story."

      "She's not wrong." Emmy added.

      "Anyway, so can you guys leave, I'm tried."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 605 37
"Just like a shadow. I'll be beside you. I'll be your comfort. And let it guide you home. I will provide you a place of shelter....If I could be your...
76.1K 2K 24
Y/N is a pediatric surgeon working in a hospital in New York. After her sister's death, she quits her job and goes to her home city - Seattle to reun...
738K 18.7K 57
When surgeon Derek Shepherd finds his wife in bed with his bestfriend he takes his three year old daughter Josie and flees to Seattle in search of a...
144K 2.6K 36
Instead of Derek getting into an accident, what if it was Meredith back in Seattle? Will she survive? *set in season 11 when Derek was in dc