The Challenge

By JessCStories

Lexi Lynn is often overlooked working for famous social media influencer London, her older sister. But what h... More

Synopsis & Author's Note
The Embarrassing Moment
The After Effect
The Terrible Meet Up
The Big Meeting
The Set Up
The Secret
The Brainstorming Process Part 1
The Brainstorming Process Part 2
The First Day
The Art of Being Nice
The Mukbang Challenge
The Surprising Encounters
The Do Over
The Estranged Call
The Things That Are Hidden
The Real Content Creator
The Beach Challenge
The Second Chance
The Next Step
The Night Out
The Non Date
The Over Dramatics
The Trouble With Lateness
The Messy Situation
The Photoshoot
The Hopeful Outcome
The Exclusive Invite
The Turn of Events
The Overlooked
The Love Triangle
The Misunderstanding
The Boiling Point
The Get to Know You Challenge
The Unveiling
The Confession
The Vacation Woes
The Hiking Challenge
The Sleepover Challenge
The Memorable Night
The Next Morning
The New Direction
The Trouble With Love
The Interview
The Reality of Things
The Honest Hearted Ending
FINAL AUTHOR'S NOTE

The Award Show

1K 36 24
By JessCStories

It was official. My life was going to be over.

It was a nice breezy night in Los Angeles and instead of relishing it, I was racing inside the annual "WeView Award Show" event building from the car that had been given for me to use for this special occasion. It was quite a ravishing ride but whoever the driver was, had been going two miles per hour to get here fast through the bustling Saturday night traffic and I was running late.

Not giving up through the dark tinted hallways of the venue, I began panting and panicking worried as I suddenly heard the MC shrieking through the intercom.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome back! Our next category up will for "The Best Videos of the Year!" So buckle up, and get ready for the main event of the night!" He called out.

More sweat, exhaustion, and almost tears started to takeover my body, as I could hear the crowd of 10,000 people shouting, chanting, and cheering happily.

Even my 22 year old legs couldn't take much more of this longer.

However with just hearing that announcement, I was on a bigger time crunch than I thought and had to get back to the main auditorium. This event was huger than anything I would possibly ever do, including my wedding someday.

The WeView Award Show showcased famous social media influencers from their website. Often many people wondered what an influencer was. If they knew of it, they sometimes didn't know much about it.

I on the other hand, were among those fews once upon a time and at this point was really surprised I'd been part of this industry for so long. It was a strange and crazy one honestly.

People from around the world got fans from just doing things in their everyday life, whatever content they wanted to put out to increase subscribers, and they got to make a difference and be a role model to anyone who watched their reality show if one wanted to put it in a fancy way.

The best part of it all...they got paid for basically just existing.

That influencer half the world adored so much and cries at the sight of seeing a second of her...was London Lynn, my older sister.

London was a huge deal to the social media life being a beauty and lifestyle personality.

She had over 30 million followers on all platforms, 10.5 million subscribers to her channel, was always invited to all the hottest parties and events, given all paid expensive trips from Fiji to Hawaii, and got free merchandise from designers and big name companies just by wearing their t-shirts or trying their products.

London was the girl everyone nearly knew or dreamed to be.

For me however, I didn't exist to hardly anyone and I had accepted that throughout the years.

None of that mattered anyway because all I had on my mind right now was one job, being London's personal assistant while waiting for her name to be heard or she would literally kill me.

Make it back on time.

I had already managed to grab her food she had made me ordered for her, so she didn't have to wait too long for the after party if she was hungry.

Last time I was late for something as big as this simply because I had to pee really bad, she had locked me in my own room for a week forced to write 500 sentences on why I should've held it in.

My sister was definitely a tough pill to swallow but it was purely based on her upbringing by our parents and everyone around her.

See, London was viewed always the favorite in the family and got spoiled rotten because she was class president in high school, on the honor roll every year, head cheerleader, had many friends and rich boyfriends, and won Prom Queen. Every. Single. Year.

Meanwhile, I was the girl who got straight B's, my only date was a kid who reeked of garlic like all the time, my teachers and Principal only referred to me as "London's sister", and the closest I got to touching that crown was to hold it for her when I was presenting it onstage.

Now with million of more people in awe toward her...London had a huge ego.

But I always learned in those kind of situations, just handle her with kid gloves. The only problem at the moment, was that this venue was such a maze that I couldn't find my way back.

Swiftly catching sight of two security guards nearby, I rushed to him frantically holding the bag with London's meal in it tightly close to me. I then grabbed his collar anxiously and pulled him away from the other guy.

I hated being rude but if I didn't get an answer, she would never forgive me.

"Please sir! You gotta help me! How do I get back to the main room?!" I asked frantically.

He looked to me and sighed. "You fans are so naive. Do you think we're stupid? We told you, you can't get to your favorite WeViewer until after the show." He said sternly.

I grunted to myself. See what I meant? I got mistaken for a fan half the time.

Sure I didn't look as glamorous and flashy as she ever did, but I didn't think I was so normal looking I couldn't have been another important influencer.

"No! I'm the London Lynn's assistant and sister! I'm Lexi! You literally saw my ID and let me in an hour ago dude." I told him shamefully.

It was the sad and unprecedented truth really with how a lot of people often forgot about me the other half of the time. It came with the assistant job I suppose.

"Did I?" He asked trying to recall. I didn't have time for his recollection. I just had to go.

"Listen sir! I'm really running out of time now! My whole life sits and rides on getting these directions if she has anything to say about it and ya know, I kinda don't want to die tonight. Probably tomorrow if her nonfat soy latte isn't right but not tonight! If you help me, I'll get London to announce you onstage when she win and tell everyone that you are an eligible man who's ready to love!" I urged assertively.

His eyes widened and smiled smugly.

I had to think of something to bribe him with. He clearly looked like judging by his spacey attitude, he didn't have a successful relationship.

"Down the hall and to the left." He replied. What a tool.

I eyed him bitterly wanting to use every inappropriate word I could think of but unfortunately as the time continued to etch away, I ultimately didn't even have time for that.

I sighed and continued running in the right direction as my phone suddenly buzzed off. Reaching over to get it, it was London texting for me to hurry up as I groaned.

Just when I thought this moment couldn't get any draining however...it did. On impact, I had bumped into someone as I fell back on the floor with the bag still closed in hand.

Fortunately the expensive champagne colored dress that was overly beaded and lavish designed for me to wear, curtesy of London not wanting to have me look tragic standing next to her was still surprisingly in good shape.

It definitely was having a run for it's money tonight on me of all people from this to the stained food grease that the sparkles were covering over due to me holding the bag for so long.

"Ow! So sorry! I didn't see you!" I called out to whoever it could be, until I finally glanced up.

When I did, there was a familiar face I was hoping and dreading to not see the entire time. Most importantly, one whom I was specifically ordered to stay away from too in general.

London's arch rival and enemy...influencer star Sebastian Martinez. He was a huge deal too.

Sebastian was known for his lifestyle videos as well but he also always got very commended and viewed for his comedic video commentary on other digital content creators he thought were shallow, clueless, conceited, and unnecessary.

A.K.A everything London did and posted.

He took great pride in his work and wasn't planning on stopping for no one. It was what he called his art.

From his life story videos, I had come to know he was known as the class clown in school, not to mention the most popular in high school with dating almost the entire female student body, so the praise and attention was expected from him as well and he loved it.

With 31 million followers across his social media platforms, 10.1 million subscribers and counting, everyone especially all the girls and women loved to bask in his glory and attractiveness, and he always found a way to make their hearts melt with a classic playerish pick up line.

I was an entirely different story though. In fact...I had developed a severe hatred for him if anything.

But it was a reason that was by far way bigger than any other that I didn't like to talk about. For part of that reason though, it was because of just who he was.

Sebastian Martinez was sarcastic, rude, flamboyant, witty, and overconfident.

Not only did he hate my sister, he also trashed how much my editing and assistant skills lacked and that a caveman could do what I did...but better.

The only thing that sucked truly though, was that surprisingly I wouldn't deny he still was alluringly sexy and was definitely the man candy every girl wanted to be with.

Dressed up in a black suit and tie, he began staring at me and smirking as I started to do the same so intensely toward him. It was a bit of a habit unfortunately I found myself getting into often whenever we saw each other, but I couldn't help it.

I had eyes and those eyes obviously could see everything he was working with and it sure didn't disappoint.

Every part of his chest and arms were covered with muscles and was perfectly toned, his hair was soft and bouncy black locks, and his eyes shined like a mint green color especially in the light.

"Sebastian! Sorry, I didn't mean to run into you." I said, standing back up.

I was more focused on trying to hold back my blood from boiling just for seeing him standing in front of me so casually. Sebastian then smiled sarcastically.

"That doesn't make it better that you still did. Don't worry Lynn, I'm fine. Really. I'll just be sure to send my medical bill to your house for my injuries." He told me in a condescending tone.

I snickered back and shook my head. It wasn't that big of a deal.

"Overreacting much? Oh wait that's just you all the time because you hate life so much, you just have to make sure everyone else does too." I said crossing my arms. He chuckled.

"Of course not! Then they're won't be any room for me to hate their lives for them. Ya know, like I do for your sister..." He responded.

I rolled her eyes annoyed. Typical of him to say.

When it came to Sebastian, I by far wasn't one to fight fire with fire whenever his belittling and harsh comments were always brought to me and London's attention by his fans.

But when London found out his posts about her though a couple of years ago, she quickly retaliated the next night in a very wordy and unprofessional public tweet that made even a construction worker blush.

Then she took that to a text, then wrote him an email before finally sending it in a voicemail too.

Just in case her point didn't come across.

Then though, Sebastian did the same and from then on...they were never the same. He couldn't stand the near site of London and was intent on keeping it that way.

They were sworn enemies to the core and everything the other did, pissed them off more.

If it wasn't for me and his best friend and assistant Jeremy, who was the most chilled and laid back guy I'd had known, him and London would've ripped each other's head off by now. Literally.

"Now if you will excuse me, I gotta let in Madison before they announce the best videos of the year award." He soon uttered. I snickered.

Madison Matese was his 3 month girlfriend soon to be swimsuit model of the nation, as he loved to put it. Like every interview he had done since then. She in my opinion was nothing but a female version of him. Vapid. She always put others down because they were never as pretty as her or ignore them completely.

So I guess in theory, they deserved each other.

It definitely however made me feel some type of way. Even he could've done so much better.

"Wow. Some girlfriend. You mean she didn't come with you? She must be embarrassed to know you as much as I am." I told him curtly. Nailed it girl!

"Whatever. I'll just take your cliche insult with a smile on my face, while counting down the seconds before I win." He replied confidently.

I was honestly surprised it didn't get to him like I intended. It took me almost 10 less seconds than normal to come up with that. I usually just left more of the insults for London. She specialized in them than I could ever.

Gazing toward him bitterly, I smirked and shook my head. It only took 2 minutes before he brought that whole "I win" crap into our conversation. I was tired of hearing it from him and her.

Between those two, they were always nominated for the same awards and categories which made their hatred for each other grow greatly.

"Oh get over yourself Martinez. It can be anyone's game. London did put out the most videos last week." I pointed out proudly.

He then started to observe me from top to bottom knowingly as my cheeks started to turn slightly red, a little nervous at how intent he was fixed toward my direction.

I cleared my throat turning away shyly before regrouping myself back together again.

God his focus was so sexy too. Stupid sexy.

"Oh, that's why my DM's were blowing up of my fans ripping her to shreds. I thought they were showing me how well I educated them." He said casually. I sighed annoyed as he laughed. "Looks like my weekend plans are filled then huh?"

"Are you sure you're not going to be busy with something else? Like maybe, hating on puppies?" I inquired glaring.

"Nah I usually save those rants for during the week." He answered derisively. "See you underachievers when I have my award. If I don't see you onstage to rub it in your faces, I'll just look for the only person in the room that looks full of regret for ever helping London put millions of people through torturing and mindless content she constantly puts out." He finished happily, before walking away.

I shook my head infuriatingly and rolled my eyes as well.

Ugh, he was an even bigger tool.

                                                                             ******

I'm really curious to know, do you have a favorite influencer? :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 7.6K 52
Alexandrea Castillo enters her freshman year of college with one thought-the opportunity to completely reinvent herself. It doesn't take long to rea...
118K 6.5K 45
Love, Lust, and Jealousy. It's a story Cora knows all too well - not because it's her own, but that of her character in Illicit Affairs, the murderou...
10.3M 359K 61
Caden Miller. Hot, cynical, and notoriously labelled the bad boy of Crestmont High. Attention-seekers flirt with him. Idiots fight with him. The ones...
48.6K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...