015. FINALLY FREE

𝟏𝟓. 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄
( CHAPTER FIFTEEN ) — 𝐋.𝐏.

                     "Carlos, what are you doing?" I finally  ask, looking up from my history book

                     "Carlos, what are you doing?" I finally  ask, looking up from my history book. Sitting at the kitchen table, my eyes followed him as he continued to snap pictures of each and every angle throughout the house on his iPad.

"Making sure there's no more orbs," He tells me in an obvious voice. "Don't worry Indie, I think this room is clear from ghosts so they won't mess with you,"

Holding back a snicker, I nod back. If only he knew.

Hearing the front door open, in came Ray holding a brown paper bag. Immediately getting up to help him with the groceries, he shooed me away.

"Your Tia's coming over and she's staying for dinner," He tells Carlos before looking back to me. "Go with Julie. I'll call you guys in when dinners ready but don't come in until then unless you want to be interrogated for the next 4 hours,"

"Can I go too?" Carlos suddenly asks, pointing toward the back door that led to the garage where we saw Julie leave off to minutes prior but Ray shook his head.

"No, you're gonna stay here and suffer through the questioning with me," He tells Carlos who let out a groan but nonetheless nodded.

"Fine. But I expect candy as payment fo—" Before Carlos could even reach the end of his sentence, Ray had pulled out two bars of candy from the bag. Eyes lighting up at the sight, the younger boy skips over and takes the chocolate bars. "You know me well,"

"I would hope so," Ray snickers. "Alright, out Indie,"

"I'm sure meeting her now wouldn't be that bad—"

"No," Ray and Carlos say simultaneously.

"Get out now while you can," Carlos adds. Already tearing open the first wrapper, Ray nods sheepishly causing me to sigh. Closing my notebooks and moving them to the counter, I begin my way out toward the back door. The two were talking amongst themselves before I slipped outside.

I smiled noticing Julie standing just before the garage doors but my expression dropped upon seeing how she seemed anything but happy. Slowly walking over to her, my line of view allowed me to see Alex, Reggie, and Luke in front of her. Uh oh.

"Look, we know we messed up," I hear Alex say, his comment directed toward Julie. Making a loud scuffing noise with my shoes, I make sure that they were aware of my presence. The air was already tense and I wanted anything but to be involved but I couldn't go back inside due to Ray's orders, however, I wasn't going to sit back and eavesdrop.

Julie barely acknowledged my existence, giving me a glance over but her expression softened in the slightest of ways indicating that she wasn't anywhere near mad at me compared to the glare she gave the boys.