021. WE'LL BE ALRIGHT

𝟐𝟏. 𝐖𝐄'𝐋𝐋 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓
( CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ) — 𝐋.𝐏.

                "You know you can't just hide forever right?"

"I can try," I shoot back. Sinking further into my seat, my eyes scan around the lunch room. I did my best to shield myself behind Ricky, purposely making him sit on the side where I knew Julie and Flynn's table would be able to see us.

"They're staring," Big Red comments, popping a fry into his mouth before holding it down to Richie's mouth, attempting to feed the inanimate object. Smacking his hand away from the robot baby, Ricky draws his attention back to me and shifts in his seat.

"Stop moving!" I whisper-yell, kicking his shin from underneath the table causing him to let out a hiss.

"If you keep hitting me I'm gonna drag you over there myself," He shoots back, reaching down to rub his leg causing me to duck with him. Pulling the hoodie up, I place my head down. "You're being ridiculous,"

"Shut up, I know you're not calling me ridiculous when you auditioned for a musical just to get Nini's attention," I retort. Turning so I could see his expression, Ricky paused, blinking a few times but not having a response while Big Red let out a snort.

"She got you there man,"

Rolling his eyes, he flicked a fry across the table toward Big Red who merely moved to the side before it hit him. "Feed the baby," Ricky tells him, getting a mocking smile back in response.

"Anyway," I drawl out. Picking at the small hole that was in the cuff of the hoodie I wore — Ricky's hoodie that he didn't seem to take proper care of from his skating endeavors — I clear my throat. "Speaking of the musical, you have rehearsals after school right?"

"Yeah, Ms. Jen has been changing stuff from the original plot so I need the extra practice with Carlos," Ricky shrugs with a small yawn.

"Isn't that... like basically illegal?" I snicker, watching as he nods back.

"Oh, yeah, one hundred percent,"

A small hum leaves my lips. "Charming,"

"We haven't gotten shut down yet so I think it's fine," Ricky smiles, picking up an apple slice and biting into it but his nose scrunched up in a grimace. Dropping the remaining bit of the fruit down to his plate, he forces himself to swallow the fraction he chewed. "That tastes like chemicals. It's like they're purposely trying to kill us with their lunches now,"

"What'd you expect? We go to a public school," I snicker.

"Does condescending me bring you joy? Do you enjoy bullying me? 'Cause I have to say, I don't appreciate this harassment that's going on in our relationship here Blue," Ricky lists off, placing his head in his palm and awaiting for a response. A boyish smile perked at the corners of his lips, entirely teasing but I simply nodded back.