025. REALITY

𝟐𝟓. 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘
( CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE ) — 𝐋.𝐏.

                        Just as Ricky Bowen had been glued to Indigo's side each and every day, Luke Patterson had found himself appearing outside her hospital room like clockwork

          Just as Ricky Bowen had been glued to Indigo's side each and every day, Luke Patterson had found himself appearing outside her hospital room like clockwork. At first, he, Alex, and Reggie would all visit together, paying their respects to their beloved friend who they desperately prayed would be alright.

But Luke never went inside. He stood at the doorway each time, almost as if there was an invisible barrier that prevented his feet from moving a mere inch within.

And as Alex and Reggie's visits slowly began to lessen over the six days, falling down to a mere once, maybe twice a day, to check on her condition, Luke never stopped appearing at her door. Like a lost puppy peering within, his eyes always fell upon the unconscious girl, focused on the rise and fall of her chest and continuous beep that he was sure would drive him crazy if he wasn't so dependent on that being the indication that Indie was alive.

Over the growing days, Luke felt a brewing resentment for the living boy. Ricky was able to stay by Indie's side, Ricky was able to hold her hand and talk to her, Ricky was the one all the nurses and staff had been talking about — claiming how bittersweet it was to see the love he had for the girl and wishing them well.

And Luke couldn't help it. It wasn't necessarily the fact that Ricky had grown clingy with an overly suspicious behavior for being just a friend, it was the aspect of wanting to be him instead. Oh, how he would give anything to be living.

But more than that, he would give anything to ensure Indie woke up. Even if she miraculously became a ghost, allowing for the concept of them to be more of a reality than ever, he knew that was not something she would want. It was too soon for her story to end, Indigo deserved to live as her life had just properly begun.

On the sixth day, Luke had a growing bubble of anxiety that began to brew in the pit of his stomach. Since the early morning, he had been phasing in and out of the hospital, merely popping in the check that Indie was ok but never going inside. And upon his fourth check-in, he lingered by the doorway as Ricky wasn't alone this time around.

Luke teleported in to see an unfamiliar girl sat across from Indie's bed. He watched the soft smile appear across her lips, eyes holding a glimmer of amusement as well as joy staring at Ricky.

"You like her, don't you?" Gina Porter spoke, the words echoing through Luke's ears like a bad song.

The silence that followed didn't help Luke's mind. He stood at the door, brows frowned attempting to grasp what conversation they were having and how it led to this. It couldn't be true, Luke desperately attempted to trick himself into believing that. After all, Ricky Bowen was Indie's best friend. Hell, he even helped get Luke and Indie together, both knowingly and unknowingly. There's no way he'd be that naive to help the girl he had a raging crush on like that... would he?