019. EMPTY WORDS

𝟏𝟗. 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓𝐘 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
( CHAPTER NINETEEN ) — 𝐋.𝐏.

                 Everything seemed perfect

                 Everything seemed perfect. Which it was, I had my friends, I had the Molinas, I had a home and food, and I even had Luke. For once in my life I didn't have to worry about anything, it seemed to be falling into place for me. Things are perfect.

Until they aren't.

I truly believe my mother is the bane of my existence. Her ears probably ring when things are well for me, she probably stops and ensures that her presence is still well known by giving me a sign that she'd be popping into my life pretty soon again.

This time the sign was a phone call. Just a simple phone call. It occurred while Luke and I were on the date, my phone on silent so I completely missed it. Said phone call could indicate many things, like she was coming home, or she was home. Or maybe, by the stroke of luck she'd be calling to tell me she'd be leaving indefinitely.

Probably not.

Point being, I was fucked. She left no other sign of recognition to me. No more calls, no more texts. Which wasn't usual but then again I always answered the phone when she rang. The way I saw it is I could ignore it, pretend it never happened and hope the universe decides to take it as a mistake and leave it be, or, I could call back. The latter was bound to make me cry, already a horrible option because I know whatever she'd say would effect me even if I didn't want it.

So I'm choosing to ignore it.

"Hey," Feeling a tug at my sleeve, my eyes dart over to a familiar leather jacket and up. Reggie. "You okay? You sorta.. been staring at that pen for the past 10 minutes,"

"I'm fine," I smile, now taking notice of how we were the only ones left in the garage. Shuffling in my spot, I drop the pen on my notebook and decide to take a break from the homework I was yet to complete. "Really Reg, just zoned out for a minute. I'm probably just tired honestly," I add for extra measure.

Taking the bluff, Reggie lets out a small oh before smiling. Leaning back into the couch cushions, he fiddles with the strings on his bass that was perched in his lap.

"Where did Luke go?" I question after a few moments of silence.

"Oh, uh, I'm pretty sure he went to go see his parents again," Reggie answers, lips pursing out for a moment. "Of course he didn't say that but, he had the look,"

"What look?"

"The one where he seems like a heartbroken kid," He mumbles, shaking his head and looking up to meet my gaze, he clears his throat. "Sometimes he just gets quiet and his face, he isn't the best at hiding his emotions. So I think he went to go see them again, he tries to spend a lot of time there,"