Chapter one

I do not own maze runner, James Dashner does. I am merely recreating the story with a twist, it's called a fan fiction. Even though I do not own maze runner, please enjoy my story all the same. :)

January 2015

Authors note cont
So it is now almost 3 years since I first wrote this. And I haven't even written the second book 😭😅 but, I'm gonna go through the whole book and edit and begin the second one. tysm if you've stuck out with me for so long and welcome if ur new. I'm taking my writing from cringe to slightly less cringe :)

December 2017
*~*~*~*~*~*
The darkness enveloped me. My body shot to my feet, shuffling in surprise. I have to run! I thought to myself. But where? It was like un pausing a movie after getting a snack, except I'd forgotten the past hour of everything I had watched. Not only was I lacking the last hour of my memory, I was lacking everything, ever. I try to rack my brain of all the dark nooks and crannies in my memory and find:
Nothing.

Except for one word, and something that seemed like a dream.

Joannah.

It felt foreign, but familiar. And the second thing I remembered. Running from people dressed in all black, quickly typing on a keyboard as an alarm vaguely echoed in the back of my mind. I couldn't remember anything I was typing, whether they'd been numbers or letters. Then, a staggering sprint to a small ladder, climbing into a dark hole. My last look at a world with light: a word written across the wall behind me before I slipped below.

WICKED.

My eyes began to adjust to the dingy, space. With a stumble, my back hit the wall behind me, and I felt something small and square in my back pocket. I reached back to grab it, but a shudder made my hands fumble and it skittered across the floor.

It was too late to worry about now. Running my hands along the sides picking up every feeling. Metal grates, shaking and vibrating. Boxes upon boxes are stacked up in the corner. Frantic hands opened the nearest one up, and my eyes settled upon a few kitchen knives. At least whoever sent me here had the decency to let me defend myself. With shaky legs setting myself down, my knees pulled towards my chest, I set the dagger away from me. Sweat drizzled down my forehead as the heat became unbearable. I could hear my blood pounding over the screeches of the metal box. With nothing to do, For a good 5-10 minutes I cry. Yes, I cry because I have no memory and I'm stuck in a rapidly ascending box. I cry because I am human.

I lurch forward as the box abruptly stops, sending the knife sciddling away. I reach for it, grazing the tip on my finger and hiss in pain, that will have to wait for later. I hold on to the hilt and move behind a box in the far corner, using my hiding stop to my defense. The unknown of what was happening fascinated and terrified me. The result, a swirling in my stomach and a nauseous feeling in my head, but my body and mind being propelled by adrenaline. Light poured in, blinding me as I used the box for a shield. Murmurs erupted from above.

People.

I stay hidden, not taking the chance if they were hostile or friendly.

"There's no bloody greenie!" A voice yells. His speech is strange, but with my lack of memory I can't quite place it. The box jars with vibration as a person lands in the box. Peering from behind the box, I spot a tall boy with blonde hair. He gazed around the box before repeating his previous statement. "there's no greenie..." He says it in more of awe than surprise like before. "Newt, what the shuck are you blabbing on about now?" A deep voice boomed as the box lurched again, indicating a new person. I dare a glance and see a tall, dark skinned boy. I notice that both of them are still teenagers.

My daring glance lasts too long. Newt, I presume, smiles at me before saying, "we don't bite," He takes long strides towards me, hinting a limp, before abruptly stopping. "Bloody... It's a girl!" He shouts. I hear a rile of voices from above. Calls of,
"No way!"

"What are the shuck creators doing?"

"Lock her up!"

"Bring her up already!"

They're all boys. Every, single, one.

"Alby, get over here," Newt said hastily, beckoning his companion. The dark skinned boy proceeds, a look of shock upon his face as well, he quickly replaces it with his stern look as before and orders, "get her"

Newts fascinated expression stays, but he walks over to grab me. I dart up, the knife in my hand, daring him to step closer. "She's armed," he calls. I try to control my hyperventilating, any ounce of curiosity I had been beginning to feel replaced with a primitive instinct of fight or flight. "It's okay, come on out," He said softly, trying to inch closer. yeah, right. Being "locked up" doesn't sound to great. I'm glad I don't say it out loud because I'm pretty sure I'll start crying again. A thought crosses my head, something that i can feel about myself. I'm no weakling and that I'll go down fighting, but from what I can see, these boys are probably twice my size and could easily over power me. I guess I'll have to really on smarts, speed and smallness. "Get the rope," Alby calls. A rope is thrown down and I abandon my fight approach for flight. A quick sprint around the back of the boxes and I fling myself towards the rope a few feet away from Alby's hands.

I propel myself upward and land on lush grass. 50 boys look down on me as I hear remarks of,
"I call dibs,"

"She's hot!"

"I call her,"

"Hey, don't be selfish,"

"We can take turns,"

The crude remarks are enough for me. I run, any where. Many of the strangers let small gasps of surprise escape, but a small few seemed to have been prepared. Behind me, sets of gaining footsteps pound the earth making me glance back. The closest one is a tall, muscly Asian teen, and he's gaining ground, fast. I take a chance and turn around, running towards him, he falters and we crash head on. A shark pain shoots up my jaw as his elbow collided with my face. Wincing and staggering, I push myself up. Directly in front of me, I see an opening in a huge gaping wall. I run, hearing the shouts behind me, adrenaline pumping everytime they get farther away. I'm 5 feet away, when I plummet to the ground. Hands flip me on to my back, pinning my hands above my head. My legs are being held down and my hair obscures some of my view. I blow it away and see newt, on top. He squints at me, huffing between heavy breaths. "nice try greenie, Really thought you were gonna bloody make it,"

Blood leaked down my cheek, and I had a tickling urge to wipe it away. "Where am I?" I ask, voice shaking. "The glade," Alby answered. Newt turned to Alby before looking back towards me. "What's your name?" He asked.

"Joannah," I answered, clinging to the one thing I remembered from today. He smiled slightly, "welcome to the glade, Joannah. Like your trip? No ticket back," Newt bluntly stated.

Alby looked down at me, eyes narrowing before turning stone again. "Throw her in the slammer,"