Chapter twenty-five

I stomped around for a bit, just to get away from Gally. I noticed Thomas slumped by a tree, so I trudged over. "I thought I had to stay away from you," thomas said, eyeing up at me. "He's a slinthead, ignore him,"

Thomas seemed to chuckle sarcastically, "actually, I'm more than happy to stay away from him," I laughed at his remark, "then I'll stick around with you, I'm not exactly on happy terms with him," I explained. "Anything to do with your... Boyfriend?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. I laughed, "I guess. I mean, he was acting way out of line. Like... It was weird,"

Thomas rolled his eyes, "yeah, I think he got that across," he turned to me, "he's a real ice breaker, your brother is,"

I laughed even more, thomas was actually taking the greenie thing well. "Listen, I'm a keeper. In charge of some Klunk. I'm supposed to throw you a celebration. But someone from shuck somewhere, decided I get my supplies late. The celebration will be tomorrow, but we will do the rock thing," I explained. "Rock thing?"

I winked, "you'll see,"

Chuck lumbered next to us, handing Thomas a sandwich," sorry Joanie, would've brought you something if I knew," chuck apologized. I just smiled and shrugged. Thomas took a bite, and his face seemed to praise it. "Ah man, I was starving," he mumbled. "Told ya," chuck laughed.

I stood up, "wow, chuck, your first greenie, you were mine, and now, I'm bestowing you this one," I saluted, then jogged away. I could hear a few snickers behind me. I left to go find someone, something.

What I did find, was Gally. "Joannah," he stated, not even using my nickname. "Don't even try," I huffed, trying to march away, but he grabbed me, his grip much stronger than mine. "Stop," he said, but it was soft, and his eyes were cast towards the ground. "I'm sorry,"

"What the hell? What the hell was that Gally?" I shouted. "Something's wrong. I don't trust him. Stay away, okay?" He explained, still not looking at me. "I'll do what I want," I spat. "I'm your big brother you'll do what I say," I scoffed in astonishment. "That's not the way it works,"

"At least don't date newt, and since when were you dating newt?" He asked, questions spilling out. "A day ago. And gally, I can date however I want," I whispered. "Come on, he doesn't like me at all. Can't say I don't feel the same way. He never really shucking liked me. Especially the changing Klunk," he started, "then you'll learn to get along," I finished. "Joannah, not dating him would be what Adam wanted,"

He didn't.

Did he just

I think he just

I acted before I thought. I pushed him, hard. His sturdy figure towered over me, so I didn't do much damage. I was too distraught. I tumbled backwards, and when he reached to help me, I swatted his hand away. "NO!" I screamed through my sobs, "how dare you?!"

The tears hadn't fallen yet, but the labored breathing had come. "This is not what he wanted, he would've wanted me to move on!" I screamed, and gladers were starting to notice. "He loved you, why would he want you with another guy?"

"Because he's dead!" I sobbed, "and because it's all my fault..." I sobbed, the tears streaming as I remembered what I tried so hard to forget. "Gally I hate you," I had whispered so soft only the two of us could hear. He stumbled back, "what?" There was unspeakable sadness on his face. And believe it or not, I felt just as hurt as he did.

"I hate you," it was not joking like when you say it among your friends. This was anger and rage, all piled up in an emotional 15 year old girl. All the gladers in our perimeter, stopped, to watch the display. It was five minutes, till I looked up, to see gally gone. I went to the bathrooms, made myself presentable, and left. The doors rumbled to a close, and I hung around the back of the bathrooms. I saw gally approaching, but he didn't see me, so I retreated farther away. It was long until I seemed to spot chuck and Thomas.

If I knew right, chuck was gonna do something funny, and right now I needed that. I stayed sitting, a ways away. I also knew who was in the bathroom. So I watched it play out. I was close enough to hear their conversation.

"I love doing this to people. Gives me great pleasure before bedtime."
"Doing what?" Thomas asked, unsure. "Maybe I should-"
"Just shut your mouth and watch." Chuck quietly stepped up onto a big wooden box that sat right under the window. He crouched so that his head was positioned just below where the person on the inside would be able to see him. Then he reached up with his hand and lightly tapped on the glass.
"This is stupid," Thomas whispered.

"I don't wanna get in trouble-I just got here!"
Chuck suppressed a laugh by putting his hand over his mouth. Ignoring Thomas, he reached up and tapped the window again.

A shadow crossed the light; then the window slid open. Thomas jumped to hide, pressing himself against the back of the building as hard as he could. He looked like an axe murderer was ok the other side. The angle of vision from the window protected them for the moment, but him and chuck would soon be discovered.

"Who's that!" yelled gally from the bathroom, his voice scratchy and laced with anger. I saw Thomas' eyes widen at recognition.

Without warning, Chuck suddenly popped his head up toward the window and screamed at the top of his lungs. A loud crash from inside revealed that the trick had worked-and the litany of swearwords following it let them know Gally was none too happy about it. I let out a laugh.

"I'm gonna kill you, shuck-face!" Gally yelled, but Chuck was already off the box and running toward the open Glade. Thomas froze as he heard Gally open the door inside and run out of the bathroom.

Thomas seemed to finally snapped out of his daze and took off after his fried. He'd just rounded the corner when Gally came screaming out of the Homestead, looking like a ferocious beast on the loose.

He immediately pointed at Thomas. "Come here!" he yelled. "It wasn't me, I swear," he said, and I jut realized that maybe this had taken a turn for the worst.

"Wasn't you?" Gally snarled. He ambled up to Thomas slowly and stopped right in front of him. "Then how do you know there was something you didn't do?"

Thomas stayed silent, frozen. "I'm not a dong, Greenie," Gally spat. "I saw Chuck's fat face in the window." He pointed again, this time right at Thomas's chest. "But you better decide right quick who you want as your friends and enemies, hear me? One more trick like that-I don't care if it's your sissy idea or not-there'll be blood spilled. You got that, Newbie?" But before Thomas could answer Gally'd already turned to walk away.

"Sorry," I heard him mutter, and he winced. I have to say so did I. "I know you," Gally added without looking back. "I saw you in the Changing, and I'm gonna figure out who you are."

"Thanks a lot, buddy." Thomas said, turning to chuck.

"Sorry-if I'd known it was Gally, I never would've done it, I swear." He defended. But instead, Thomas laughed. "What?" Chuck asked, a smile creeping on his face.

"Don't be sorry. The ... Shank deserved it, and I don't even know what a shank is. That was awesome," he stated, feeling much better it seemed.

I stood up, gave them a thumbs up, in which they laughed at, then marched off to prepare for the rock throwing.