Chapter eight

The next few days were relatively uneventful. I tried out all the different jobs; track hoes were okay, not really my thing; cooking I was pretty good at, but the insults resulted in newt pulling me off of a smart-mouthed teen; the medjacks were one of my best ones, I seemed to be very god with the injured; with the baggers, I punched a few things to test my strength, which got surprised eyebrows, but not much went on with them; the builders were not bad, I mean, not a lot of intellectual work was going on, but I had time to chat with Gally.

Even though some of the jobs weren't bad, and I was willing to do them temporarily, it was not me. I wanted something else.

Now, don't go and think, she gonna wanna be a runner, because I DONT. In those few days I also learned that I had a horrible fear of the maze. Not like all the gladers, I mean, bad. Just the thought of everything, and that Minho and Adam went out there everyday, hurt.

I had gotten closer to Adam, he was one of my best friends, along with newt, and Minho. Minho and I were always sarcastic with eachother, as if there was no other way of speaking. Newt and I looked out for each other, and we always seemed to light each other's day. Adam and I, are just, I don't know. We joke around and sometimes we just sit in silence.

I was playing with Minho's black spiky hair, when Adam came up, sitting across from us at dinner. "The gatherings in one day, which one you want?" Adam asked, stuffing bread in his mouth. "Number one, try not to choke, and two, I don't know," I said, laughing. "I think your getting medjack, your really good," newt said, joining next to Adam.

I blushed, I didn't get many comments around on skill, but a lot of gladers though catcalls and whistles were compliment enough. "Thanks," I mumbled, suddenly interested in my chicken.

"Then I better not get hurt, 'cos I know you'll make sure everything is extremely painful," Minho laughed, as I slapped his head. A sharp pain in my abdomen made me cringe. The looked at me in concern, and I nodded. "It's fine, I'll be right back," I said, hurrying away.

I curled up into a ball by a tree.

I had gotten my period.

Yay. Sarcasm intended.

I heard footsteps behind me, "you okay?" I looked up to see Gally, his fave laced with concern. "Um... Yeah," I said, the familiarity returned and I couldn't stand it much longer.

He sat next to me, his hand holding my arm. I striking pain went in my head.

I was there, but not there. I was looking through the eyes of someone else. We turned to look at a boy, his hand holding my arm. "Ha-Joanie," he said the name as if it were new to his tongue, "are you okay?" He asked. No we were not, we had just gotten our period for the first time, and no mother to guide, only the staff of a bad organization.

The me part of us was startled, he said my name. That means we, were a younger version of me. "Pe-Gally, no I'm not," I said, little me struggled with the name as well. Gally!? I looked at little Gally, he seemed 15. And if the girl was me... Then I was around 13. "Remember, to call me Gally. I know you do it in public, but with me leaving soon you can't ever use it, not even in our private talks," he weakly smiled, "I know ...it... Happened and I'm sorry you don't have mom, but see. You got your big brother," he said, gesturing to himself. Little me laughed.

I gasped and we were back in the glade. I finally knew our similarity.

Gally was my older brother.

A/N
Sorry for the short chapter, a bit of a filler but I thought the end was important.

Thanks!