Chapter fifteen

I tried to hide my excitement, "alright, so, what building should I work in?" I asked. "Gally will do that for you," he said, and I flinched at his name, I still hadn't forgiven him.

"Dismissed," alby waved off. I saw Gally walk straight towards me so I turned and walked away.

"Joanie..."

I rolled my eyes, "Gally, not now,"

"When are you going to talk to me?" He asked, impatience lacing his voice.

"When I know you won't hurt me!" I snapped, "when I know you won't lock me up, when I know you won't betray me,"

"I'm sorry.... It's just...."

"Just what Gally!?" I shouted. "I saw you in the changing!"

I was shocked by his retort. I've heard of the changing a few times, and it's horrors. I remembered the vague memory of Gally saying he went through it, but I had forgotten. The glade seemed to still. Passerbys went about their business, we never earned much more that a questioning glance.

The red left his face as he calmed down, "I saw you,"

"What did you see?" I asked blandly. His mouth opened and closed. "I don't remember much, but other than a few good sisterly memories... Some fights maybe... I think the creators were there," he explained.

"So?" I asked, feeling ridiculed.

He looked around unsure, "I don't know, I trust you, but just the glade itself is... Weird...." He explained, "I promise, and you know, I would never hurt you,"

"Okay," I was still a little unsure, but pulled him in for a hug. "Let's start making plans," I said.

It took about an hour, near the homestead, was going to be an auditorium, with stands, and a circle in the middle. There was going to be a room for storage, also for rehearsals. I wanted to ask the creators for instruments. From what I've learned, if you put a note in the box we get stuff. The box was coming in two days, which would make exactly a week since I got here. I had to plan quickly.

The bustling around made a calm working environment, and I wished it were always like this. Calm, neighborly, and fun. Well, maybe not fun, but you get it.

I also wanted to get some game stuff,
Balls, rackets, nets. I wanted the glade to not be just a dreary prison.

That's another thing, I wasn't sure why we were here. I mean, maybe we're all criminals, or...

"Al right I'll get them started," gally cut into my thoughts. I nodded swiftly, going to the homestead, writing my note, then dropping it in the box.

I met up with newt, he was helping tend the fields. I silently began to assist him. When Adam died, we both lost a dear friend. My kind kept wandering to the kiss we shared, in his final moments. Always, guilt followed.

*****

Two days had passed, and my supplies came. I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but it was good enough. I got most of the game equipment. When the instruments came I got a guitar, ukulele, some drums (congos and such), pan flute, Slide whistle, and rattles.

The guitar was smoothly cut, it's bark spotless and shiny, same with the ukulele. The Gladers gawked at the new objects as I had some builders help me haul them to the shack.

That's what we call it, as everything here, it got a charming name. The Shack.

The auditorium was known as the fire pit. If we needed, we would collect wood and make a grand fire for celebrations. I don't know when we do such activities, maybe for a greenie. Celebrations don't come easy round here.

I sweated through the breeze less, dense air. It's dew condensation gun my lungs, inside the stuffy shack. Organizing all the instruments took precision, I wanted everything perfect.

****

Two weeks had passed. The greenie was expected next week, and my preparations were being rushed.

I had a few entertainment volunteers. A track-hoe named Ron, also, Jeff participated. There was also victor, frank, and hank.

I sang and played guitar, I was able to teach Ron some ukulele, Jeff played congos, victor played pan flute, frank played slide whistle, and hank played rattles.

When the greenie arrives I was going to have the greenie games, a big celebration. I know what it's like to be a greenie, especially a girl one. Not to mention that everyone calls me greenie. Only a few call me Joannah or Joanie.

*****

I woke up extra early today, the greenies arrival was a big deal to me. I decided to see Minho into the maze.

The dull wind stilled around me as I glanced across the glade, the rising light casting an eerie glow, making the walls look upwards in a vertigo causing view. Minho jogged towards me, "tell me about the greenie later," he said, then added, "if it's a girl tell me if she's hot," he winked, then ran into the maze.

It wasn't until an hour later that I was jolted from my breakfast with newt, by a piercing alarm.