Chapter six

A hand clamped over my mouth, and I grasped at it. "Shh..." A voice hushed.

It was newt. He released the hand over my mouth, "what the hell?" I asked. He smiled down at me. "Didn't want to wake the gladers," he explained. I looked outside. It was dark. "What time is it?" I asked groggily. "Early. I got something to show you," he said, helping me up.

He lead me outside, and I tried not to awaken any gladers. He stopped at the walls, and he drew apart a think patch of ivy. Underneath was a window.

I placed both hands on it leaning close so I could see, but it was dark. "There's nothing," I whispered. He pulled me back. "Wait,"

We waited for ten minutes. I didn't look out the window the entire time. I looked at newt, seeing he was significantly taller than me. He looked about 18, and I wondered how old I was. I didn't really think about that when I saw my reflection. "How old do I look, I wasn't paying attention," I asked.

He tore his gaze away, "I'd say about 15," he sighed. I was surprised. I was pretty young. All of a sudden and eerie red glow enveloped his face.

He put his hands to the window and peered out. He motioned his head for me to come closer.

Putting my face against the window, I saw it.

It was huge. I'd say the size of a large cow, or bigger. It was slimy, like a giant slug. Metal spikes and arms retracted from its body, causing a whrrrrr click when it moved. A red light emanated from its body, spinning about the inside of the maze. When it saw me, it curled up in a ball, like an armadillo, and slammed into the window.

I stumbled back, gasping. "What kind of pet is that?!" I shouted, raising myself up. "Not any pet of ours," newt mumbled.

"It's the bloody creators', we call em' grievers, " he muttered. I looked out once again, as it kept hitting the window. I knocked on the glass. It's foggy surface holding. I raised questioning eyebrows at newt.

"It won't brake," he said. I nodded.

"That's what's out there?" I managed. Instant worry made me think of Adam and Minho. "Yeah..."

"How do the runners survive?" I asked. He looked towards me, "they always come out at night, and don't usually show up during the day," he sighed.

"Usually?" I ask. He shrugs. I looked at him in disbelief. "How can you shrug it off when you send your friends on a death wish, everyday? How can you just shrug it off when you send Minho and Adam in there?" I spat. He looked me straight in the eye, "listen greenie, you think I don't know that? I used to be a runner, until I busted my leg, running from that thing your complaining about. Only the smartest, fastest, top of the line go in there. Someone has to do it or we might as well give up! That's they only way out of here. Minho and your boyfriend will be fine," he retorted.

"My boyfriend?!" I spat. "I've been here for two days!"

"Exactly greenie! Don't go bloody making assumptions went you don't know Klunk! Your just have to bloody shape up, and learn how everything works. Get along with all those other shanks, and slim it. Got it?" He concluded. I narrowed my eyes and strode off.

A couple minutes before the doors opened I caught Adam, stretching in front. "So, gonna take a stroll with death machines?" I spat.

He looked at me confused, till he turned pale. "You saw, then?" He asked.

"Uh, yeah I saw! Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. "You were supposed to wait," he said. "Adam, I've known you for 2 days, your one of my only friends, and you don't tell me your going to a death trap everyday?" I sigh.

"Trust me, it's not that bad," he explains. "Just find a way out of you have to," I weakly smile. The doors open, and once again. I gawk in awe. Adam turns to leave, but before he goes I reached towards him, turning he to face me.

I wrap my arms around pressing my head to his chest. I give him a hug. At first he was surprised, but hugged back.

Then he turned away with a smile, and ran into the maze.