Chapter twenty-four

The boy stood up, twirling around the glade, his eyes wide in astonishment.

"Look at the greenbean. Gonna break his shuck neck checking out the new digs,"

"Shhh, Gally," I scolded. Everyone watched intently. I rolled my eyes as Minho showed of his muscles, trying to look intimidating. "Where am I?" The boy asked.

"Nowhere good," Alby started, "just slimy yourself nice and calm,"

"Which keeper he gonna get?" Someone shouted.

"He looks like Klunk, either a slopper," then paused as him reconsidering his decision, "or maybe he can go sing with the Fires,"

I spun around, "or maybe you can slim it, slinthead. You're not a keeper at all, are you?" I retorted, em getting a chorus of 'oooooo's.

"Even do that much," Gally mumbled.

"Gally!" I shouted, scoffing. What was wrong with him. Something was definitely off.

"Keep yapping and next break'll be cut in half," Alby shouted.

"It's a long story, shank," he continued, "Piece by piece, you'll learn-I'll be takin' you on the Tour tomorrow. Till then ... just don't break anything." He held a hand out. "Name's Alby."

But the boy didn't shake it. Though I know I shouldn't, it made me like him even more. Instead, he turned around, and sat by a tree. "Then tell me," he stated. "Seriously, where am I," he asked.

"If you ain't scared," Alby said, "you ain't human. Act any different and I'd throw you off the Cliff because it'd mean you're a psycho."

"Alby..." I warned, "shuck it, ain't no way to start these conversations, you get me?we don't kill shanks like you here, I promise. Just try to avoid being killed, survive, whatever," he finished. I rolled my eyes.

Greeeeaaaatttt leadership skills. "Man, nick would've been better at this, we had different circumstances with the two newest, right after he died,"

The boy paled. "Okay... Alby, I think newts got it," I laughed nervously. And to make a lasting impression, I ruffled the boys hair, winked and walked off. I could see a few boys smirk, and laugh. By now, they were like my brothers.

Newt and Minho weren't my only friends, if your were wondering. Just my best friends. Oh...and newts my boyfriend. I twirled and giggled at the thought, then walked over to a few boys.

Jack and winston stood, chatting. "'Sup boys," I shouted, they waved me over. "What'd ya think of the new greenie," jack asked. I thought about it, "funny,"

They chuckled, "sorry, about..." I put my hand up, cutting off Winston. "It's fine, just makes me wonders what's going on," I nodded. "That makes all of us," jack chuckled.

All of a sudden, a piercing scream shrilled the air, causing my bones to jolt.

"What the hell was that?!" I shouted, and jack and Winston gave eachother a look. "No one told you?" Jack questioned. "Tell me what!?" I demanded. "Ben got stung yesterday," Winston concluded. I choked. "Yo, you okay?" Jack rushed over. I waved a hand, "I'm fine... Just,"

I shuddered, I hated the grievers, and I hated the maze. It made my brother go through the changing, killed Adam, and it hurt one of my friends. Since Ben was a builder, and I hung around Gally, we had started talking. "I'm gonna go see him," I stated, striding towards the homestead.

"Sorry but you can't," Winston said, stepping in front of me. "This is probably why no one told you," jack stated, shaking his head. "Try to stop me," I said, pushing a finger into Winston's chest. He put his hands up, and backed away.

He knew what I could do.

I was charging into the homestead when I heard a commotion going on inside.

I tried to slink through the doorway, being unnoticed. "Hey, look, it's the greenbean,"

I was about to retort that I wasn't the greenbean anymore, when I realized they were talking to the new boy. And the one talking was Gally. "This shank probably klunked his pants when he heard old Benny baby scream like a girl. Need a new diaper shuck-face?" He finished.

I watched, appalled at my brothers behavior. something was VERY wrong. Before I could tell gally off, the new boy spoke, "my names thomas,"

Thomas looked about 5"9, brown hair, and seemed sixteen. He stepped forward, going for the stairs, before Gally stepped in front of him,

"Hold on there, Greenie." He jerked a thumb in the direction of the upper floor. "Newbies aren't allowed to see someone who's been ... taken. Newt and Alby won't allow it."

"What's your problem," Thomas retorted. "I don't even know where I am. All I want is some help," he explained. I felt a sense of pity towards the boy, a feeling as if I knew that this whole situation was not how he usually acted.

"Listen to me greenbean," Gally spat, wrinkling his nose, as of snarling, "I've seen you before. Something fishy about you showing up here, and I'm gonna find out what,"

"Gally?" I questioned, surprise embedding itself in my voice. He spun to me, "Joanie..."

Before Gally could continued, Thomas spoke, red in the face, "I've never seen you before in my life. I have no idea who you are, and I couldn't care less," he spat.

Gally turned back to the boy, momentarily forgetting me. "I've ... seen you, shank. Not too many in these parts can say they've been stung." He pointed up the stairs. "I have. I know what old Benny baby's going through. I've been there. And I saw you during the Changing."

He reached out and poked Thomas in the chest. "And I bet your first meal from Frypan that Benny'll say he's seen ya, too."

"Gally! Stop!" I shouted, rushing up to him. "And this here, is Joannah. She's my sister, and you'll stay away from her," Gally said.

The boy, stayed silent, never breaking eye contact. "Griever got ya wettin' yourself?" Gally said through a sneer. "A little scared now? Don't wanna get stung, do ya?"

I pushed Gally aside, "what's wrong with you?" I asked, my brow furrowing. "If Newt went up there, then I wanna talk to him." Thomas stated, coming out of his silent stupor. "I'm going with him," I stated, making my way to the stairs. Gally grabbed my waist pulling me back, "no,"

Thomas gave him a cold glare, "he's the greenie, let him have the honor of going first," he started, then turned to thomas, "You know what? You're right, Tommy-I shouldn't be so mean to Newbies. Go on upstairs and I'm sure Alby and Newt'll fill you in. Seriously, go on. I'm sorry,"

I thought Gally had officially come to his senses, but if he had, he would've let me go. He still held a firm grip around me. "What's your name?" Thomas questioned.

"Gally. And don't let anyone fool you. I'm the real leader here, not the two geezer shanks upstairs. Me. You can call me Captain Gally if you want."

I jolted out of his grip. "That's my boyfriend you're talking about!"

Oops. I hadn't told Gally yet about Newt and I. He seemed about to explode, as he grabbed my wrist.

"This looks like a personal matter. So okay, captain Gally it is," he retorted, and make an exaggerated salute. Snickers broke out, and I would've joined if I wasn't in so much trouble.

"Just go up the stairs," Gally said. "And stay away from me and my sister, you little slinthead."

Thomas, advanced towards the stairs, but chuck began to argue. I didn't pay attention as I clawed my way out of gallys grip. I hadn't realized when Thomas started up the stairs, and I knew this was bad. Especially when Gally yelled, "The changing! Look forward to it, shuck face!"

Thomas disappeared up the stairs, and I turned my attention to my brother. "We need to talk," he growled. "Yeah right, slinthead," I snarled, as I wrench his grip off of my wrist, and pushed him away.

I marched to the door, and slammed it, just as I heard shouts emerge from upstairs.