Chapter fifty-one

This is so good.

I thought, as I basically breathed down the dinner frypan had left for Thomas and I. Knowing we would be late, he left a scrumptious meal of roast beef and potatoes. A quickly hand scrawn note attached to the counter, told us there were cookies in the cupboard. Thomas and I had more than we should've, but hey, we were in jail for Petes sake.

It appeared that frypan really was on our side. I'm not complaining! He's a great guy, and I'd rather have him, than some back stabbing baggers. That's another now too. It seems that Andys little minions have thought it fit, to annoy me to the point where if it were court, I would dare call it harassment.

The walk to dinner was one of catcalls and jeers, and dirty looks on my part, nothing new. After dinner, Thomas just kind of skunked away, and after spending a full day with the kid, I think we needed a break.

Don't get me wrong, Thomas is great. But you don't really know a person until you share a heart to heart conversation about which kind of bacon is better, soggy or crispy. And I definitely scored a point for the soggy team that night.

The Gladers seemed to wind down, as if their batteries had run out. I thanked for the silence, and decided to make my way upstairs. I had thought about sleeping in Adam and I's spot, but decided against it. For some reason, I owed it to Newt for me to spend time with him. I had been particularly distant.

Newt was making the bed when I opened the door, the creaking making him turn in surprise. "Joanie," he said, the way he said it was more of a sigh, and I couldn't help but feel a rush of bubbles inside my gut.

Wow, it's been a while since I've felt that. What's it called?

Joyous excitement.

Joyous because because being chased by Grievers and constantly almost dying isn't the best excitement.

"I'm beat, honestly, I thought I would be able to relax in that hell-hole of a jail," I laughed, stretching my arms. Newt smiled as he returned to his business, and I to mine.

My clothes were crinkled in my drawer, I guess I hadn't thought on organizing too much.

Newt turned away as I changed, and when I finished, quietly walked up to him.

"Joannah, you're bloody taking forever," he groaned, and I could tell how impatient he was. Stifling a giggle, I reached up behind him and poked his side. "Boo," I whispered. He stumbled forward, tripping over his own feet. "Bloody hell!"

A huddle of a Newt pay decrepitly on the floor, a look of surprise struck on his face. The held in laughs exploded out of me, and everything wrong in this world seemed to disappear. For right now, it was only me and my clumsy boyfriend sprawled out on the floor.

"Thank you," he got up, brushing of his pants, "i shucking thankyou for that,"

"It was definitely my pleasure," I snickered, and before I knew it, his lips were connected to mine.

I slyly smiled as he pulled away, "didn't you say you would make it up to me. In the slammer?" I whispered, careful not to wake the Gladers in the adjoining rooms. Oh whatever, they probably heard Newt plummet to the ground.

"Sorry, I don't recall," he sighed, turning his face into a joking frown. I rolled my eyes, walking away from his embrace, "I guess that's too bad," I murmured, opening the door. "Alright, alright. You bloody win," he said, jogging over. He placed his arm above me, silently shitting the door.

"Get in bed," he said, and I almost choked on air. "Excuse me?" I gasped, struggling for oxygen. Newt looked at me slightly confused, before leaving a horror strucken look on his face.

"What? No! Bloody hell, Joannah," he groaned, rubbing his hand across his face. "Just trust me,"

I eyed him carefully before climbing into the bed, "you do anything I don't want you to, and I start to scream," i chortled, a joking edge to my voice. "Honestly, if push comes to shove, I'm more shucking worried about what actions you might take," he laughed, getting something from behind a box.

I stretched upwards to see what he was getting. He glanced behind him, and I took note of a mischievous glimmer behind his pains stricken eyes.

I wonder when was the last time that sparkle was there.

"Ay! No bloody lookin'" he called and I reluctantly turned away. I felt the bed sink down and creak as he threw himself down.

"Okay now,"

I'm his arms, he held two plates.

Of bacon.

My eyes crinkled in a smile, the green irises moving from the bacon, to Newt. "Tommy told me about your discussion, so I thought, what better way to make it up to you," he said, and my heart swelled with joy.

He actually cared.

You know you've hit gold when a guy gets you bacon.

I grasped the cold plate, the bottom hot with fresh bacon. Hastily picking up a piece, I bit into it, and was met with a crunch.

"Are you shucking serious," I mumbled, my mouth full with crispy bacon pieces. I shoved it down my throat before thrusting the plate back to Newt. "You suck," I groaned, disappointment settling in.

I wanted soggy bacon...

He's crossed the line. He brought bacon into the picture. "You're sleeping on the floor," I demanded, grabbing his pillow and tossing it across the room. "Hey! Hey!" Newt laughed, and I gave him a death glare. "Here, it was a joke. This is soggy bacon," he explained, holding the second plate like it was gold.

Hesitantly taking it from his arms, i cradled the dish. Two fingers latched onto a bacon, and I bit into it.

Yesssssss.

Newt watched expectantly, and I peered up at him.

"Good boy,"

A/N

IM BACK!

Don't know who missed me, but I'm glad to be back anyway! I would really appreciate feedback on this chapter, considering it is the Phoenix in my writing rehabilitation. Please vote and COMMENT! Love you all, stay awesome TMR fandom!

- :)