Chapter fourty-seven

The dawn crept of from the window, shadows creeping towards me in the stiff air.

"Good morning," a voice grumbled from across the room. Newt stood by the door, already ready, with his hand resting on the knob. I rubbed a hand across my eyes and groaned. "Hi," I chuckled. "You should go and get some bloody breakfast. Got a lot of stuff ahead of you," Newt said, before heading out the door.

"Well, someone's in a rush," I mumbled, as I stumbled out of bed. I took a 10 minute shower, then It took me another 10 minutes to look at least presentable. In the two months that I'd been here, Gally had ordered for a separate private shower for me. It had a lock, and the walls had zero spaces. I had accepted it graciously, and appreciate it everyday.

I trotted towards the kitchens, and grabbed a few quick things to eat. I saw Thomas and chuck sitting at a bench, and decided to sit with them. It's not like I'd be welcome anywhere else.

I plumped down in the seat and chuck gave me a wide grin. Thomas looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "You um... Okay Joanie?" He asked, trying to be casual. I sucked in a quick breath, "yeah, you?" I asked, and Thomas just nodded, and took a bite of eggs. "Hey chuck," Thomas said, turning his attention to the boy beside me, "did they ever find gally?"

I stiffened and stopped eating while I listened. "No. I was gonna tell you-someone said they saw him run out into the Maze after he left the Gathering. Hasn't been seen since."

Thomas dropped his fork, which was a similar reaction to mine. My head snapped in the direction of Chuck, "no..." I mumbled, complete awe and disbelief taking over me. "What? You're serious? He went into the Maze?" Thomas sputtered, his surprise as large as mine.

"Yeah. Everyone knows he went nuts-some shank even accused you of killing him when you ran out there yesterday." Chuck grumbled, and I shook my head. Though I lived Gally, I never really got along with his friends. We were acquaintances until... All this.

"I can't believe ..." Thomas stared at his plate, and I'm sure he was pondering how so much could be rested on his shoulders. I tried to hold back the tears.

"Don't worry about it, dude. No one liked him except for his few shuck cronies. They're the ones accusing you of stuff."

Chuck immediately looked at me, guilt spreading across his face at a rapid rate. "I don't mean you! I'm sorry, Joanie. Sometimes I forget to close my shuck mouth. It's just... He was a bit... Bitter..." He said, struggling with the right word to describe my brother.

Thomas lifted his gaze. "Ya know, the guy is probably dead. You're talking about him like he went on vacation."

A contemplative look came over Chuck. "I don't think he's dead."

"How? He's gone," I mumbled to myself, not meaning the others to answer or hear. I began to pick at my food, trying to ignore the dead inside of me.

"Huh? Then where is he? Aren't Minho, Joanie and I the only ones who've survived a night out there?"

"That's what I'm saying. I think his buddies are hiding him inside the Glade somewhere. Gally was an idiot, but he couldn't possibly be stupid enough to stay out in the Maze all night. Like you guys," Chuck explained, pointing back at the dark corridors of the maze. The kid had a point. Gally and I were blood, so he wasn't completely stupid. Even if he did go in the maze, he might've survived because he might have skills like me, but I also had Thomas and Minho.

I hung onto the hope that he was still in the glade, the chance was a thread, and my life hung on the balance. Thomas shook his head. "Maybe that's exactly why he stayed out there. Wanted to prove he could do anything I can do. The guy hates me." A pause, and out of the corner of my eye, Thomas sheepishly turned to me. "Hated me."
"Well, whatever." Chuck shrugged, and casually shook it off. "No offense joannah, but If he's dead, you guys'll probably find him eventually. If not, he'll get hungry and show up to eat. I don't care."

Thomas picked up his plate and took it to the counter. "All I want is one normal day-one day to relax."

I snorted as I followed him, "Preach,"

"Then your bloody wish is granted," said a voice from the kitchen door behind him. I recognized the way he talked, and turned to Newt. I had temporarily forgotten about the ordeal with the voices. Thomas reminded me of it, and by newts reaction, he had also tucked into the recesses of his mind.

"Come on, ya buggin' jailbirds," Newt said. "You can take it easy while you're hangin' in the Slammer. Let's go. Chucky'll bring ya some lunch at noon."

Newt began to lead the way. Maybe some time in prison with out the commotion of the glade would be relaxing, and clear my mind. Hopefully teresa won't try to invade my brain bubble; if that's what you can even call it. Thomas and I might be able to work out what's happening, and perhaps with us locked up, the day actually might be calm.

Haha, yeah. That's likely.

No matter how hard I wish it to be, nothing in the glade will ever go back to normal.

I had a feeling everything would be going downhill from now on.

A/N

Okay, kinda short chapter. I know I might say this a lot but please vote. And most of all PLEASE COMMENT. To see a person comment really lights up my day. So pleaseeee, all you readers, just take ten seconds of your time to comment and vote.

Thanks!

-:)