Chapter 36

Alex and Nova ran up to Shepard and Joseph. "Shes in here but the door isn't budging." Joseph said as Shepard was tugging on the doors. Alex looked in through the window before running over to the others pushing over Shepard and Nova from the door. "Guys stop, theres guards in there!" The others stand and go to the window piling on top of one another staring in through the window.

   "You thought your friends could save you puny human? Pathetic, I knew I should have killed you when I had the chance!" The brute motioned an elite over. Aloe stood up and fully and snarled. "Shame, because my Spartans are stubborn. If they don't leave with me, then they'll leave with this entire placed leveled and then some." She smirked as the elite ignited its energy sword. "Bold words for a prisoner. If you desire to die believing in your ridiculous ideas, then so be it." The brute turned away to walk through the door. "Get ready guys, he's coming." Joseph said as the four Spartans crouched and drew their weapons. As soon as the door swung open the Spartans charged in. Joseph igniting his energy sword and stabbing the brute though his stomach. Nova began shooting at the elite, but it dodged every shot before raising its sword and swinging down. Aloe went to try and head butt the elite but as she did the sword missed her head but still sliced through her. A clean, swift strike, right through Aloes right shoulder severing her arm entirely. 

   The blood curdling scream echoed through the building. Aloe fell to her knees as she held the spot where her arm used to be. "ALOE!" Nova screamed before unloading the rest of her magazine into the elite. She ran over to Aloe who was now on the floor gritting her teeth only a few tears streaming down her face. "Aloe, no no, youre gonna be okay. I'll bring you home and-" Aloe looked up at Nova and her eyes were completely soaked with tears. "N-Nova...I'm, scared..." Both girls stayed sitting there for a moment as Shepard and Joseph stood guard at the door. "Common you guys, we gotta go..." Alex said helping Aloe to her feet with Nova. 

XXX

   Alex, Joseph, and Shepard stood silently in the mess hall of the Melting Pot, Shepard gripped his cup and slowly began crushing it. "Shepard, I'd prefer you didn't crush another cup..." Alex spoke as he took a bite of his food. "Excuse me!? The Colonel just had her arm cut off and you two are acting like it's nothing!" Joseph shoved him. "Of course we care! But Aloe isn't dead, we got her home alive, and I'm certain that Nova can fix that." Alex nodded. "The mission could've gone better but the point is, we saved her." Shepard let go of his cup and stood up. "I'm going to the firing range..." Alex and Joseph watched as he walked away. The two Spartans looked down and continued to eat. "Let's hope this...isn't forever..." Alex said softly. "Agreed." Joseph sighed and looked towards the door.