Prologue

August 30
    2552
    Planet: Reach

     The dark gray clouds covered the skies, ash scattered like snow in the winter, and the sounds of gunfire filled the land. Four Spartans holding ground in an abandoned house. "Will they ever come back for us!?" A female spartan asked, her black armor worn and battered, her light blue visor slightly cracked. "They aren't, they wont, its us versus them." Another spartan spoke, his armor a brown and white color, him standing by a window firing a DMR focusing on Elites that were closing in. "We need to find our own way off, this house wont keep us safe for much longer." Another female spoke, her armor black and pink. "I see an aircraft! In the distance, we move for it now!" The last spartan spoke, her voice demanding yet reassuring. Her armor a clean white and yellow, big and unscathed. Her name, is Aloe.
     The four Spartans ran, the house crumbling from the plasma that was slowly eating away at it. As they approached the craft, it soon came to light through the smog. Nothing but a simple Banshee. "A, Banshee..." The Spartan with black and pink armor spoke, the disappointment clear in her voice. "It's all we got....we need to come to a vote on who will leave." Aloe sighed. She looked around and swallowed her fear. The Covenant were beginning to retreat, the gunfire slowing to a halt as the Spartans looked around. "Why, why did they stop?" The male spoke looking back at them retreating. "They are going to glass the planet..." The female in all black watched the sky, it darkening ever so slowly.
    As the three Spartans watched the sky Aloe was collecting sticks, four of them each a different size. She arranged them in her hands and sighed softly, she whispered to herself. "I am sorry my team...but I am too afraid to die here..." She stood up and walked to her team. "Alright, this is how we're going to settle it. Drawing sticks, the one who gets the longest stick can leave." Her team turned to face her, they nodded and picked a stick one by one. Each Spartan looked at the stick they chose, Aloe gripping her stick tightly. "M-mine, is the longest." Aloe chocked looking at her team. The other three nodded and stepped back, each one snapping off their dog tags and holding them out for Aloe to take. Aloe had reached her hand out to take them, it shaking all the while and she griped them tightly. "I'm sorry, I won't let them forget you. You all, you guys....were the best." Aloe said in a soft and shaky manner. The rest of her team nodded, the Spartan in black waved her hand. "Get along, before you are glassed along with us." She cooed at Aloe. She nodded and ran to the Banshee, hopping in and blasting off.
    As Aloe was beginning to reach the atmosphere she could see the super carrier hovering over the planet. She turned her head away from the large purple beast that was ready to take its prey. "Goodbye..." Aloe turned the Banshee away, and as she did the sound of the glassing beam fired. It was swift but it felt as if it lasted forever. When she had opened her eyes again to look back at Reach, it looked like nothing. A giant ball of, glass.
    The Banshee landed on the Pillar of Autumn, Aloe jumping out stumbling on her feet. Different Marines came running up to her as the Autumn went into slip-space. "You just barely made it Spartan! We were just about to leave you behind!" One Marine spoke helping her across the platform. From her free hand, the three dog tags dangled making soft clinking sounds as she moved.