Chapter 26

The Pelican made a slow decent on the smog covered ground. The sound of the boosters powering down echoed throughout the empty land scape. Aloe was the first out of the aircraft as she took a careful look around. "Something tells me someone beat us to the punch. Guess Its back to salvaging whatever there is left." Nova stepped off as Shepard bumped her so she would stumble onto Aloe. Aloe caught her and she looked over to Shepard. "Hey, if theres anybody you should bully it outta be Alex." Alex stood up fast and threw a grenade at them. Shepard caught it and hinged it to his belt. "I mean shes not wrong kid. But sometimes I like to keep my horizons open." He chuckled as he stepped down to their level crossing his arms. "And its not like you two let go of each other yet." Aloe and Nova perked up before taking a step away from each other. "Ha, now common you two." Joseph walked off and shoved Aloe and Shepard playfully.
    As the Spartans walked through the empty city Alex turned around seeing that a few building were leveled, the way they had fallen seemed to be as if they were stomped on. "You know, I'm happy whatever came here isnt here now." Alex said turning back around. "Dont say that kid, you might jinx it." Joseph said as he was following Aloe. Soon they came to a hault Aloe turning around to face her team mates. "We need to split up. We wont find anything like this, if you find anything head back to the Pelican. We will meet up there." The others nodded as Shepard put his arms around Joseph and Alex's necks. "Common, us guys gotta stuck together." Joseph chuckled and nodded as Alex pushed Shepards arm off him. "Oh yeah, common guys." Joseph chimmed in as the three Spartans walked off. Nova and Aloe slowly taking a step back. "Well that was weird." Nova said as Aloe turned around to start walking.
    As the two girls walked around Aloe was in deep thought. "The boys are getting really pushy when it comes to Nova and I. I'm sure it is nothing but a partnership between us, but everytime shes close my chest does tighten maybe I should ask Nova if I am ill or-" Her train of thought was broken when Nova tugged her back behind a wall, with no time to think or respond Aloe was on top of Nova almost like a human shield. "You almost walked in front of those aliens. This place isnt empty." Aloe shook her head looking down at Nova before slowly leaning to peek from behind the wall. Banished were walking around making repairs to a Scarab. Its head moving around as if it were looking around. Aloe moved her head back behind the wall looking back down at Nova. "Thats a Scarab, not one I've seen before but its build is unmistakable." Nova stuttered softly before slowly looking up at her. "Oh...oh a Scarab!? Those things are alive right?" Aloe tilted her head a bit before nodding slowly. "Somewhat, its like a Hunter." Nova perked up and her hands slid up Aloes chest plate. "Distract them, I have an idea!"

XXX

    Shepard, Joseph, and Alex were all lounging about against a fallen building. "So they are a thing right?" Alex asked as he took out his thermos to drink from. "I'm sure they like each other but they are too afraid to admit that." Joseph said as he took his helmet off. "Thats why I'm trying to get them closer together." Shepard said chuckling. "After all, it wont happen if they arent nudged." Joseph nodded a bit reluctantly. "As much as I hate to agree with him, hes right. Aloe is a Spartan 2, so she has no idea what that feeling shes feeling is." Alex closed his container looking up at them. "So she really needs this then huh?" Both Shepard and Joseph nodded. "And what about you guys? Dont you guys need someone in your lives too?" Shepard and Joseph looked at each other and shrugged. "Theres a few new girls on the ship now, I'll see what i can do with them." Shepard shot finger guns at Alex as Joseph shook his head. "Ill do the same but with a different approach." They all laughed as Shepard stood up straight raising his hand. "Boys, we have company." Before the others could respond a bunch of Brutes surrounded them aiming their spikers at them. "Yes you do, little demons." A brute walked up to them as he placed his gravity hammer on his shoulder.
    The three Spartans were being escorted to a base, all of them chained up as a few brutes stood guard around them. "So, looks like we are kinda fucked." Joseph said as he moved around in his restraints. "I thought Aloe said this place was empty." Alex groaned leaning against the wall. "Cant really trust the colonel now, shes got a girl on the mind. I know exactly how that can be." Shepard smirked a little. "But you know, this place was dead when we arrived so you cant blame her." He continued as the brutes turned and forced them up. "Move demons, Decimus will enjoy the new prey." Alex turned back "Who's, Decimus?"
    As the Spartans were brought to a tent a brute with heavy armor walked out. "Spartans..." Shepard and Joseph stood up a bit taller as Alex shuffled back a bit. "We found them around the base sir, trying to steal our equipment." Decimus chuckled and leaned over. "Then it seems we must punish them." The Spartans stepped back. "That's gotta be a no." Shepard spoke as Joseph and Alex looked at him. "No?" Decimus stood up and laughed. "You speak like you have a choice Spartan!" The other brutes began laughing as Shepard took a step back. "We do actually, we are never allowed to do anything without the Colonels say. Oh and could you take a step forward please." Joseph and Alex looked at Shepard as if he were crazy. Decimus stepped forward growling. "I will show you demon, wh-" before he could finish a blast made him go into a nearby weapons cache. Aloe stepped forward and loaded her scattershot. "Didnt you hear him, they are only allowed to do what I tell them too." Decimus stood up and pointed his hammer at her. "Kill them!" The other three Spartans ran over to Aloe as brutes began firing at them. As Aloe provided them cover, the needles breaking and bouncing off her armour, a Scarab slowly began to rise up from behind them. Its eye looking over the land as the brutes looked up at it before it began firing at them, its laser clearing the space. Alex, Shepard, and Joseph watched in awe as Nova climbed on top of its head. "Common guys! Lets get going!" The Spartans began running towards the Scarab as it slowly turned to walk away.

XXX

    While the Spartans sat inside the Scarab Alex took off his helemt taking a sigh of relief. "So do you girls mind telling me, how did you get a Scarab!?" Alow shrugged and leaned on the wall. "Ask Nova, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it." Nova climbed down and dusted herself off. "Easy, its a living thing. It just wanted some love and food." The Spartans stared blankly at her before the all groaned together. "You guys should try something that doesnt involve guns sometimes. It'll get you places." Nova laughed as she climbed back out of the Scarab.
    As they reached a barren part of the land the Scarab slowly rested on its belly. The Spartans climbed out and rested on its back. "So we gonna name this thing? Since its the only one we're gonna have." Shepard said looking around. Joseph and Nova tapped their chin before Nova brightened up. "Puffy Fluffy!" Joseph laughed nodded. "Perfect!" Alex and Aloe both face palmed as Shepard shrugged. "Okay whatever you two say." Shepard shook his head. As the others were laughing Aloe slowly looked over to Nova. "Doctor, when we get back to the ship, can we discuss something. I fear there might be something wrong with me." Aloe looked down at herself and Nova nodded. "Oh yeah, sure thing." Nova smiled at her, Aloe slowly began blushing as she smiled back trying to cover it. "Thank you doctor." Shepard and Joseph looked at her then each other smirking. "Lets see if we can get the Melting Pot here faster." Joseph added with a smug expression.