Chapter 22

The Melting Pot was closing into a planet. As Aloe looked at the environment she squinted. "Is it me or is the air, thicker?" Joseph looked around and nodded. "Its just probably how bad those weird covenant bastards left this place is all. Also, mind calling the others? We gotta land." Aloe nodded and called the others. "You know Joseph. This place still gives me bad vibes. Even if its barren."

XXX

As the ship slowly descended the others looked out the windows. "That's some heavy fog. You'd think it would lift after months of you know, not being touched." Alex said as Shepard walked up behind him. "Plasma isnt exactly, healthy for planets kid. Especially after a giant siege like that one." Alex sighed as Aloe clapped her hands together. "Alright kids, remember, we are here to loot anything the covenant or the UNSC left behind. If it works or is even in one piece, bring it back here. And if you find people, take them too." The others nodded as Shepard chuckled. "Take them too, you gotta say it like that." Aloe grunted and put on her helmet. "Its too early to hear your back sass. Common Spartans lets move out." Shepard smiled and put on his helmet as the others followed behind.

XXX

The spartans were walking the terrain, heading towards the old base they were sent to protect oh so long ago. "So, you guys fought here? What happened?" Nova asked as she looked around. "Its a long story kid, but basically, we were sent to protect this place and at the tail end it was raided by these weird looking troops." Aloe said as Alex walked to up to a certain building. "And, we lost one of our own that day." Aloe added softly watching Alex. "Oh, that was your old medic huh? I'm sorry." Nova said as she gripped her railgun. "Don't worry about it, you are entitled to know." Aloe responded as Shepard came back holding a crate. "As you guys were standing here I found one crate that could be useful." Aloe walked up to it and nodded looking it over. "Nice, now find more and bring it back here." The others nodded as Joseph stood still. "Joseph, hey, you good?" Shepard walked up to him before following his gaze. "Fuck." Both said in a soft manner as a small flood spore was leeched onto a wall. Aloe walked up to them before noticing it too. "Lets make this mission quick. Nova, Alex, you two stay together here. Joseph, Shepard and I will go on ahead. And Alex, when you see them, run back to the ship." Alex tilted his head. "See them?" He asked before Aloe stormed up to him. "And you bring Nova back in one piece, am I clear Spartan?" Alex took a step back before he nodded. "Let me here you say it." Aloe leaned in a little to look him in the eyes. "I will bring Nova back in one piece when I see them." Alex responded before Aloe leaned back and motioned her hand for Joseph and Shepard to move forward. "Keep your armor on at all times, and keep your comms on. We will be back" As Aloe walked off Alex seemed to stiffen up. "Alex, do you know what she meant by that?" Nova walked up to him as he slowly took a step back. "T-the Flood."

XXX

As Joseph, Shepard, and Aloe slowly made their way across the land they reached the place where they had taken off in the Pelican. Aloe slowly walked to the spot where she had watched Larson die. As she did she gripped her gun looking around. "Theres no body. No trace of it." Joseph walked up to her and patted her shoulder. "Sorry boss, guess we just gotta keep moving." Shepard nodded as he pointed to an abandoned covenant base. "Maybe we should start there. Maybe the Flood just got here and we can still make it out before they find us." Aloe nodded softly before she started walking off.
As the Spartans busted down the door to the base the base echoed with the sounds of the metal hitting the floor. "Okay, not the most pleasant of entries but effective." Aloe looked at Sheaprd as he pulled his smg out. They slowly began moving down the hallways, Aloe stopping them as the sound of faint squishing could be heard. "So, guess your theory was wrong Shepard." Aloe sighed as she held up her lightrifle. "Joseph, stay here. So we can have a faster escape." Joseph nodded holding up his carbine. Aloe and Shepard began heading down the hallway again. As they did they could see a mass of flood as other forms walked around it. "Shepard, we gotta blow that up. Leave nothing behind for them to grow from." Shepars nodded as he unhooked his grenades before Aloe stopped his arm. "Wait, wait...do you see that in the mass?" Shepard leaned forward before his arm lowered. "Combat medic Larson." He sighed before he gripped his grenade. "We need to get her tags, and then we blow this place to Hell." Shepard nodded before both of them jumped off the ledge.
As Joseph leaned against the wall humming softly to himself, the sound of an explosion was heard. He lifted his carbine and aimed down the hallway. As he did the sound of scuttling came from behind him, he turned and began shooting at the infection forms charging at him. He began backing up as they blocked the exit, Aloe and Shepard bumping into him seeing them block the hallway. "I wasted all my grenades, I cant blast through it." Shepard shot into the large wave of infectors. "Well, we fight boys, fight until the end." Aloe said shooting her rifle. "Yes sir." They both answered as they continued shooting. As the flood closed in an explosion blasted through as an ODST walked up to them. "You looked like you could use some help here Spartans." They removed their helmet as Aloe sighed laughing a little. "Well look who it is. What goes around comes around." The ODST that Aloe had saved in the past stood before them. A few troops were standing behind her shooting away flood. "A pleasure to meet you again ma'am, allow me to escort you and your team out of here." Aloe nodded and followed her out of the base.

XXX

Alex and Nova were sitting on the ship, Nova holding her arms looking rather scared as Alex watched out of the windows. "Dont worry Nova, we're safe in here." Alex looked back at her as Nova took a breath. "I never wanna see one again after this..." As soon as she finished speaking Aloe busted through the door as Jospeh ran to his console starting up the ship. "Now! All hands get this ship flying!" The ODSTs had gone to a console starting up the ship. In time the ship took off as flood was closing in on it.
The Spartans and troopers took a breather as the ship exited the atmosphere. "So, whats your name trooper?" Aloe asked as the trooper took her helmet off. "Noel, nice to properly meet you Spartan." Aloe took her helmet off and sighed catching her breath. Shepard looked at both of them squinting. "You sure we met her before, I dont remember her." The other Spartans slowly looked at him. "Really, that was like one of our first missions." Alex said as Shepard shrugged. "Don't remember." Nova stood up and went over to Noel. "As they talk this out, I wanted to welcome you. As part of, this crew. The crew of Fire team, uh." The other four Spartans looked over. "Fire team KZ00." They said in unison. "Yeah that." Nova rubbed her neck as Noel smiled. "Glad to be here Spartan."