20. Code Blue

[ 20 ]

[ 20 ]

-

"We have a good news and also a bad news."

Swallowing thickly, the group gathered inside the living room exchanged nervous glances at each other before landing on the four scientists standing before them. Held delicately in Taehyung's hand was a small vial consisting of the transparent liquid they had worked so hard to create, and after sacrificing their sleep schedules for months, they had finally succeeded.

"Is that... the vaccine?" Jimin asked.

He was amazed yet afraid of what was about to come.

"Yes. We tested on all ten lab rats and they didn't turn into rat zombies after observing them for two weeks now." Seokjin elaborated, the usual mischievous aura he had not found at the moment.

"Then, what's the bad news?" Yoongi let out a shaky breath.

Nari fiddled with the hem of her shirt before speaking. "We are yet to test it on a human."

The room fell silent at that. All of them knew that this day would come, and now that it had finally arrived, the thought of becoming the first person to get vaccinated for the infection still going about out there terrified them.

"Let me do it." Jungkook volunteered after giving it a thought.

"What? Are you crazy?" Jaemin gawked at him in disbelief.

"We can always go out there to scout for any survivors." Namjoon suggested. "We'll let them stay with us, but only if they agree to let us inject this vaccine into their bodies."

"Yeah... that will actually work." Hoseok agreed.

"Yoongi hyung and I have been going in and out of the house for the past few months to collect zombie samples, but not even once, did we meet a survivor before." Jimin stated, and Yoongi nodded his head. "The chance to find a living human out there is basically zero to none."

"Then what should we do?" Taehyung glanced at the vial with saddened eyes.

"Like I said, I'll volunteer." Jungkook spoke up again, the determination in his gaze baffling everyone else in the room.

"Thank you for volunteering, Jungkook. But, I think we all agree that we will only do that as our last resort." Seokjin patted the boy's head gratefully.

That night, Nari who was sleeping with Jimin cuddling her in their room jolted awake suddenly when a sharp pain tore through her body from her lower abdomen. She pressed onto her tummy in discomfort, and she wondered whether it was her menstrual pain being up to no good again.