5. Specimen B

[ 5 ]

[ 5 ]

-

An alarm was what had jolted Nari out of her dreamland. No, it wasn't her usual wake-up call alarm, it was the irritatingly, unnecessarily, loud and strident alarm reverberating inside the underground base signifying that something had gone terribly wrong.

Clumsily wearing her sneakers, she grabbed her phone and pressed onto the button to unlock her room door, revealing mass of people shuffling while shouting incoherent words over the still blasting alarm. Nari muttered apologies as she squeezed through the people to reach Taehyung's door, knowing that the boy was probably still dead asleep since he had once mentioned that he was a deep sleeper, and even gave Nari his room passcode to wake him up in case of an emergency as such happen.

"Tae!" Nari yelled out as soon as the door got unlocked, but the said man was still snoring softly underneath his bedsheet. "Taehyung, there's an emergency and we gotta check on the lab!"

"Huh— what?" He peeked an eye open groggily, his messy bed hair sticking out in every direction. "Nari? Why are you here?"

"Wake up you idiot!" Nari smacked his arm, and the excruciating pain instantly woke him up, his eyes enlarging twice in size when he registered the chaos going on outside.

"Oh shit! What's going on?!" Taehyung blurted while slipping into his own shoes, and followed Nari out of his room. "Holy shit."

"We gotta go to our lab!" Nari pleaded him, and they immediately dashed down the opposite way where most of the soldiers and guards were rushing towards the exit.

They both gasped in bewilderment when they found their lab door already opened, the passcode and identity scanner all wrecked with sparks erupting from the cut wires. Running into the lab, they wasted no time to scavenge for the most important thing left behind - the cure.

To their dismay, the lock of the tiny refrigerator where they had been keeping the vials containing the trial cure was already broken up by the time they reached there. Nari let out a helpless cry whereas Taehyung slammed his fist angrily onto a nearby table.

"Damn it!" He shouted, fury burning within him to see his months of hard work stolen just like that.

"We gotta check on the secret room too Tae." Nari shook his arm weakly, and with a nod, Taehyung wrapped his arm around the girl before leading them towards the hidden door where it would bring them towards the corridor that would end with the secret room where they kept their human specimens inside.

As if things couldn't get any worse, the scientists halted their tracks in shock when they realized that the hallway which would lead to the hidden door was painted with blood, along with three dead guards lying on the ground in various angles. It was too quiet - with the alarm sound now switched off - way too ominously quiet for an aftermath of a battle scene before them.