Chapter 54

"I'm sorry for canceling on you like this," Michael huffed through the phone which was pressed between my shoulder and ear as I stirred my mug of coffee. I was surprised Michael was even awake seeing as it was ten in the morning. We had planned to go see a movie around noon but that unfortunately wasn't happening anymore.

"It's alright," I assured him, moving so I could hold the phone with my hand. I carried my mug in the other as I sat on the barstool in my kitchen and said, "We were just going to hang out. It's not a problem."

"I guess," he sighed and I could imagine his disappointment as he scratched the back of his neck. We were supposed to spend the Saturday together but Kate came down with a fever. Michael said earlier that she had a temperature of one hundred and two degrees and a major headache. "Rain check?"

"Sure," I laughed softly, taking a sip of my hot coffee before setting the mug down again. "Now go! Kate needs you,"

"You're the best," he told me sincerely, a door slamming shut in the background as he spoke. "Thank you for understanding."

"Anytime. Oh, and tell Kate to feel better for me," I said and cracked a smile before we said our good-byes and hung up.

I'll admit, I was a little upset that Michael canceled on me but I understood why. Kate was sick and needed her big brother to sit around and watch movies with her and make her soup. It was sweet, but I had no idea what to do with my day now. I could call up Luke but he'd most likely be with Abigail, so I figured Caroline and I could have some girl time if Ashton wasn't stealing her away for the day.

Through several texts, she eagerly agreed to meet me at a restaurant on the corner near school. It was a cute restaurant with basic bar and grill type foods. It was one of the more American based restaurants so it felt like home for me.

When I stepped through the double doors of the restaurant around noon, a hostess kindly told me that my friend was already seated at a table. She led me to Caroline, where I was greeted with a huge smile.

"Hey!" Caroline beamed as I sat down across from her. The hostess kindly left us alone, turning on her heels to return to the front entryway.

"Hey!" I smiled back and pushed my hair over my shoulders. As I did, Caroline slid a drink toward me with condensation trickling down the side.

"I figured you'd want a soda," she shrugged and I nodded happily, taking a sip. It was refreshing since I'd only had coffee today.

"Thanks," I scooted the glass away from me and picked up my menu instead. I peered over it and asked, "Were you waiting long?"

"Nah," Caroline shook her head but I noticed her drink was halfway gone. I wasn't late so she must've been early, which was confirmed when she already knew what she wanted to eat. "I think I'm going to get the chicken and fries. I saw a waiter bring it to another table and it looked amazing,"

"Sounds good," I murmured as I kept looking through the menu. Although a burger or quesadillas sounded delicious, a simple salad was the healthiest option. I knew if Michael were here that he'd roll his eyes and make me eat more. Good thing he wasn't. "I'm getting the salad, I guess."

I closed my menu and placed it on top of hers to make it easier for the waiter whenever he came over. Little things I could do for waiters and waitresses made me feel helpful.

"So how come Michael canceled on you?" Caroline asked since I gave her minimal information over text. She seemed slightly judgmental of him for it but I didn't mind.

However, I didn't think Michael wanted it known to everyone that he had a little sister because it was such a big secret to tell me, so I stammered, "H-he, uh, felt sick."