Chapter 8

This is where my editing stopped, so please stick with me through poor writing:

I hurried into math class, my brain rewinding to certain things I said with Michael. The way we talked without a particularly bad moment. I liked talking with him like that.

My thoughts of our conversation stopped when I noticed a tan girl with wavy brown hair to her elbows and blue eyes in jean shorts and a plain yellow t-shirt sitting in the back of the classroom. She was stunning, that type of naturally gorgeous person even though I could tell she barely wore any make-up, if not, none. She sat directly next to the desk I sat at yesterday. I vaguely remembered her. She originally sat up front on the end of a row of desks, but I don't remember the name of the girl that sat next to her. As I made my way toward her to my seat, she looked up and smiled.

"Hi," she greeted me, and I smiled back as I sat down.

"Hi, I'm Leah," I introduced myself, setting my backpack on the ground. She nodded like she knew.

"Caroline," she said. "I noticed you sat alone last class and, well, the class before. I didn't think you'd mind if I sat with you. It sucks sitting alone,"

"Yeah, I don't mind at all," I was grateful for Caroline's kind heart. Although being alone was good for thinking, it definitely got boring.

"You're new aren't you? The American girl?" she asked which made me sigh since I've heard that a lot.

"Yes, that's me," I confirmed her suspicions.

"Do you know many people here, yet?" she asked, moving on quickly, and I almost laughed. I know a few interesting ones.

"Not really. I know a small group of guys but that's it. It was kind of random how we met, but they're not all in my grade." I explained and she nodded again just like before. I could tell Caroline was a good listener.

"Oh, okay. I'm kind of like that too. I mean, I've gone here since ninth grade but I have a small group of friends. Not guys, though, of course." she told me, blushing near the end.

"What do you mean?" I questioned Caroline. She tucked her brown hair behind her ear before looking up at me.

"I'm not good around guys, I guess." She left it at that, but I understood. I thought back to only a few days ago and my first time talking to Luke and Michael. It was awkward...

"No, I totally understand. It can be intimidating," I comforted her, although I barely knew her. She was quick to welcome me though, which I really liked. Caroline looked like the type of person that I would like to be friends with: sweet, somewhat shy, so not very talkative, and a good listener. What I didn't understand is how someone as pretty as her could have trouble with boys.

"Exactly!" Caroline beamed at me, showing her perfect teeth. They were completely white and not a single tooth wasn't straight. It bothered me how gorgeous she was, yet she was so nice that I couldn't dislike her.

"Thank you," I said randomly and she looked at me with confusion. I repeated myself, but with more detail. "Thank you for sitting with me when no one else would."

Caroline grinned at me once more. "No problem, Leah."

***

Math ended and Caroline walked with me to the door of the classroom. She was my height, yet maybe an inch shorter. Her yellow shirt made her stand out, but by her personality, she didn't want to. Throughout math class we whispered to each other and I learned that she's a very bright, happy, and polite girl but she's extremely shy. She doesn't like being put on the spot and is most definitely the type of person who would rather ask the questions than be asked them.