Chapter 49

"Leah," Michael's voice woke me from the best sleep of my life which might be odd because we were on a trampoline. The mesh didn't exactly make the best back support but Michael made it okay because we switched sleeping positions through the night with my head now on his warm chest and my arms draped over him. My feet were tangled in the blanket that Michael must've pulled over me when I fell asleep. "We've got to get up."

I opened my tired eyes, blinking several times with my chin on the middle of his chest, to see Michael smirking down at me as he tucked my hair behind my ear. I was surprised that this time I didn't blush at his simple action.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked, looking around us. The darkness covered the trees and sky like a veil, only allowing their silhouettes to be seen. "It's still dark out."

"Yesterday was Sunday. We have school today." Michael broke the disappointing news, sitting up with me still drowsily laying on him. I rolled from my original position on his chest to his lap in my sleepy state. "It's a little before six. The sun is going to come up any minute."

"Screw the sun. Two more minutes," I pleaded, Michael chuckling. I kept my eyes closed, turning to bury my face in his stomach while Michael tried to comb out my hair with his guitar-playing calloused fingers. I had no motivation to get up because first, I hated school and second, I was lying here with Michael. There was no down side to staying on the trampoline forever.

"We have to stop waking up like this," I mumbled into his shirt, thinking about how many times we have cut it close for school like at the beach and when he snuck into my house at two in the morning.

Michael agreed as I slowly detached myself from him, sitting up with slumped shoulders. He handed me a bottle of water that we stashed last night in the corner of the trampoline.

"Thanks," I said groggily, getting over the fact that it was almost six in the morning. I leaned against his arm as I took my time, sipping the water bottle that wasn't as cold as I wished it was.

"Did you sleep well?" Michael asked in a soft voice for my sake.

"Yes," I said truthfully because I always slept best when Michael was near me. I wondered if it was the same for him. I couldn't help but think that he was completely out of my league with his charming looks, strong cologne smell, and punk attitude despite his sweet personality. I didn't understand why he would want someone like me, but I wasn't about to question it.

"Do you want me to drop you off at your house to get ready?" Michael asked like he always does when this happens. We really did have a habit of getting ready for school together.

"No, I'll just go in this. It's fine," I assured him, glancing down at my jeans and t-shirt. Who cared about make up and decency? At the moment in my tired state, definitely not me. "I'll just need to brush my teeth and hair."

"Okay," Michael said, completely carefree and awake. His attitude and appearance today made him look the happiest I've seen him in days. I wondered if it had to with what he asked me last night. Just thinking about it made buzz with excitement because the boy with tattoos and red hair in front of me was my boyfriend.

Michael, oblivious to the fact that I was thinking about him, climbed out of the small trampoline exit, landing on the wet dew covered grass. As I followed, I felt his hands grip my hips to help me out, setting me down on the ground beside him.

"Thanks," I breathed, earning one of my favorite lop-sided smiles.

With his hand on the small of my back, Michael guided me from his backyard into his room. As he changed, I took the liberty to brush my teeth with an extra toothbrush in one of his bathroom drawers.