Chapter 64

The disappointing news had spread that Ashton wasn't coming with us on our camping trip over the weekend. No matter how hard Michael tried to convince him, he refused and seemed pretty set on his decision. He told Michael that he just wanted some space and time to be alone.

I didn't actually think the trip would happen until Friday morning when Michael bounded over to my locker with a breathtaking smile and reminded me to pack a sweatshirt since it would be colder when the sun went down. This thought made me whine because I wasn't the outdoorsy type, meaning this trip did not hold much promise for me. I didn't like bugs or sleeping in tents, but then again, I had slept on a trampoline with Michael and that was more than perfect.

Friday night, after school, we all headed home to gather our belongings and prepare for our overnight adventure. Michael kindly drove me to my house, helping me decide on what to bring like pajamas, clothes for the next day, and toiletries. He then gave me a lift to his house in order to do the same, but instead of helping, I lounged on his bed and took interest in the objects around his room that I never noticed before.

Calum later picked us up in his dad's expensive truck which had enough seats for all of us to squeeze into. Michael and I were last to be retrieved so we volunteered to take the third row, meaning the very far back seats with minimal leg room, while Luke and Abigail took the second row, and Caroline and Calum made up the front. I couldn't help but sadly notice the extra seat in the second row that Ashton could be sitting in, cracking nature jokes and explaining the importance of bug spray.

My phone read six o'clock when we were all on our way toward our location. We had decided that same beach where we built the bonfire would be the perfect camping location: remote, quiet, and full of warm sand to cushion our backs underneath the tent floor.

The sun was bright and surrounded by a soft pale pink sky mixed with cream sickle orange swirls as I linked my fingers through Michael's, resting my head on his shoulder and watching the burning star begin to sluggishly fall before my eyes. We remained this way for the car ride, his warmth keeping me content while I held his hand, playing with his fingers, and he pressed his cheek to my hair.

Once we arrived at the beach, we hurried to unpack the tents from the truck along with all of our belongings. We were racing the setting sun which was kissing the line of earth, it's light pressed up against the body of the ocean, and then soon to be easily slipping past it, leaving nothing but darkness and stars behind.

Everyone crowded around the back of the truck and held out their arms as Calum gave us something to carry. He conveniently handed Caroline the marshmallows and other s'mores ingredients while giving the rest of us heavy things like chairs and our bags of clothing. I was stuck lugging Caroline and my own bags with a chair slung over my shoulder as she skipped ahead of us all with barely any weight in her arms.

Trudging out into the sand, I felt it tickle my toes and seep through the gaps between them while Michael laughed at me. I was doubled over and trying to keep the chair balanced as I pulled the bags through the sand. Seeing my trouble, he easily lifted the chair off of me and carried it along with his other objects.

"Thanks," I huffed and watched as he effortlessly tucked the belongings under his arms and walked twice as fast as I did with long strides.

Meeting together at the perfect spot of flat, even sand, all of us dumped our things and breathlessly stared at it with dread.

"How about we set up tents before the sun goes down?" Caroline suggested and earned several nods from us. Luke grabbed one set while Michael took another, both of them heading in opposite directions for their own territory to pick. "Wait, who's staying with who?"