Chapter 52

Michael and I let ourselves into the house, not bothering to knock because no one would be able to hear it. As the door swung open, the heat of teenagers dancing everywhere hit us and the loud music was almost deafening. The room had a green tint from the colored lights probably bought from some Best Buy, and there was trash randomly scattered on the floor. I took a deep breath along with Michael who probably felt the heat too because he maneuvered behind me to help me out of my coat after kicking the door shut with the heel of his foot. I would've thanked him but the music was too loud and I would've had to shout.

Taking my jacket from Michael, I sent him a grateful look and lazily laid it on the back of some chair in the entry way. I figured I could find it later, and if I didn't, it wasn't that big of a deal. I had plenty of other, more stylish, black coats that weren't from my family's tradition of secret santa.

Michael and I began to push through the highschoolers who were dancing and chattering as loud as they could. They all bounced to the beat, girls flipping their hair while guys' wandering hands found their hips. It actually looked extremely fun, and like something I wanted to do with Michael, but we had to find Luke. As much as I wanted to just forget about everything and go dance, I couldn't. Luke said he'd be here but I don't think he expected us to come too.

We were herded into the kitchen, a slightly less crowded area that was easiest to find. We didn't particularly mean to find it but it wasn't really a choice as we were bumped and somehow led here. There were red solo cups decorating every flat surface but as I took in our surroundings, no one seemed too drunk. A few stumbling people here and there, but overall, the kitchen wasn't that bad. I wasn't sure if I was happy or not about that because most intoxicated people make me laugh if they're the sweet, funny drunk. It was the Damien type I had to worry about, but that wasn't very common.

"Do you see Luke?" I asked Michael, raising my voice over the music. It wasn't as loud in the kitchen, but it was still louder than an average party. This cheerleader really knew how to have a good time.

Michael furrowed his eyebrows, leaning closer to me in confusion. I repeated my question to which Michael's lips parted in understanding. He looked around him, using his height to his advantage as his eyes wandered throughout the room before shaking his head. I thought about texting Luke but I figured he wouldn't hear his phone or feel it buzz.

"Should we split up? You know, cover more ground?" Michael said loudly, leaning in as he did. I bit my lip as he pulled back to see my face. Splitting up seemed like the best decision but I didn't exactly want to battle this party on my own. Pushing through teenagers alone was not how I wanted to spend my night, but if it meant we would find Luke, it was what needed to be done.

"Yeah," I nodded just incase he didn't catch what I said. Michael took a breath in preparation, running his palms over his hair to mess it up to perfection before reaching in his pocket for his phone. He held it up for me to see.

"Text me if you find him!" he shouted, pressing up against the counter to make room for a girl shuffling past us. Her pink crop top rode up as she waved down some friend with a huge, partly woozy grin. Michael then circled his fingers around my wrist, his eyes looking into mine seriously. "I'll see you soon,"

I nodded, picking up a random cup beside me and downing the liquid in it because I knew I'd need the alcohol later. It burned my throat causing me to squeeze my eyes shut for a few seconds. Michael laughed but with that we both set off in different directions. Michael headed back out into the room we came from, his tall head bouncing above the rest. I was hoping the same would be for Luke as I disappeared from the kitchen into some hallway. A few people were wandering down it, a couple quickly ducking into a room at the end of the corridor. I figured that wouldn't be where Luke was so I spun around, moving from the hallway to a large room connected to it. The room had just as many people as the first main one where Michael was searching but it was decorated differently. It didn't have the cheap colorful lights like the first one, but it did have more furniture. Friends were lounging on the couches and others were spinning slightly on the barstools in the corner or just buzzing through the room aimlessly. The main majority of people, however, were dancing like in the first room.