Chapter 35

"Michael, don't!" Luke shouted, rising from his chair. He gripped Michael's bicep, pulling him away from Damien before he could punch.

"I can take him!" Michael struggled in Luke's arms, fury blazing in his eyes. His nostrils flared.

"Shut up," Luke snapped as Ashton and Calum finally came to their senses and stood. "You know you can't,"

It was true. Damien was much bigger and better built than Michael. I'd be scared for him if he actually began a fight. At the party when he threw him off of me, Damien was too drunk to do anything, thankfully.

"You want to fight, Clifford?" Damien cackled, holding out his arms as if he was welcoming him.

"Luke, let me go!" Michael jerked his body to get away but Luke kept his grip on Michael's arms.

"C'mon, kid, let him go," Damien spoke to Luke.

"I'm not a kid," Luke narrowed his eyes. "And I'm not letting him fight you."

"It's not for you to decide," Michael chimed in. "Plus, even you can't deny he needs a good punch right in the jaw."

My eyes widened in horror and took in all the action, moving from Michael and Luke to Damien. I was more than relieved that Luke stepped in because I didn't think of Michael as a violent person and did not want to start.

"Damien, I think you should leave," Ashton said lowly, gesturing to where he came from. Calum nodded in agreement while Ashton glanced back at his girlfriend to make sure she was okay. Damien pondered the idea for a moment before peering at me.

"See you around, gorgeous," he smirked and Michael fought Luke's grasp again, trying to break free.

"Shut the fuck up!" Michael shouted at Damien and I was surprised Luke was holding him back. I knew Luke was not weak, but he was able to restrict Michael.

Damien just laughed, plucking a unopened beer bottle from our stash and walked off.

"That asshole!" Michael spat.

His anger was completely unnecessary and it made me want to knock some sense into him. I wasn't defending Damien, because I hated him, but Michael was overreacting. At least Luke understood, being the first to pull Michael out of the mess he was bound to make.

"Michael," I called his name stiffly to which he turned his head. I held out my hand and Luke stepped back, allowing Michael to take it. I was almost afraid he'd bolt after Damien. "Let's go for a walk," I suggested, sounding like my mother whenever I did something wrong in public.

Michael's eyes held mine with uncertainty. I was sure my uneasy feelings were clear as I looked away and silently dragged him behind me. The group awkwardly watched us as we disappeared into the darkness and began walking down the never ending shore of the beach.

"What the hell was that?" I asked quietly once we were alone and dropped his cold hand. He looked at me with confusion, his eyes questioning me as we walked in the wet sand. The water occasionally reached up and rushed over our toes.

"What do you mean?" he asked in shock.

"You acted like you wanted to tear his head off!" I laughed without humor. How could he not understand?

Michael stopped me from walking with his hand, forcing me to make eye contact.

"That son of a bitch drunkenly kissed you against your will and now he has the audacity to come by and talk to you like...like some girl that he can take advantage of again!"

I bit the inside of my cheek, crossing my arms.

"You were ready to punch him, Michael! Since when did you become violent? Since when did you solve your problems that way?" I raised my voice.