Chapter 41

Michael and I woke up in time for school much to my disappointment. With a gentle shake on my shoulder, my eyes fluttered open and he told me it was important that we go, which was definitely not something Michael would normally say. I think it was just because he couldn't afford to miss another day with his grades, which reminded me that I actually had to help him study since our last try didn't go as planned. I hoped he didn't mind.

"Do you actually want to get some studying done today?" I asked him from the passenger seat as he drove, still not over his piercing which was on the side of his face that I could see. It reflected the sunlight from outside the window, the glint attracting my eyes.

"Sure," he shrugged and pulled up to my house carefully. We both agreed we'd be fast, just allowing me to change and grab our backpacks from my room. I was sure my parents were still furious with my little scene yesterday.

After climbing out of his car, Michael and I made our way to my front door before I unlocked it with the not so secrete key hidden underneath the welcome mat.

I didn't bother being quiet as I opened the door, knowing they'd probably be aware I was home anyway.

We scurried up the stairs and saw my father in the room that he and my mom shared, fixing his collar in the mirror. He was bent over at his waist, leaning forward to fumble with the button. I pushed Michael ahead of me, quickly slipping by my dad because I wasn't in the mood to deal with him. We hurried down the hallway and I looked back to see if he saw us. He didn't.

Once in my room, I flicked on the lights and Michael began to put all his books in his back pack, zipping it shut. He did the same for me while I picked out clean clothes.

I grabbed a pair of two year old skinny jeans and a t-shirt, not bothering to check what type it was.

Because we didn't have much time, I unbuttoned my pants, "Just don't look," being the only warning I gave him before sliding my jeans off. I replaced them with the more comfortable and clean pants. Doing the same with my shirt, I pulled it over my head, exposing my back to him. Once I was finally changed, I spun around to look at Michael who was watching me with wide mischievous eyes. They were supposed to be closed but it was early in the morning so I ignored that fact. "Give me five minutes and we can leave."

I did the best I could with makeup and hair in five minutes, pulling it up into a high pony tail and applying fast mascara. Shoving my feet into my favorite pair of Toms, Michael followed me to the door and handed me my backpack. I thanked him, slinging it over my shoulder and turning off my lights.

"You're home!" My mother said surprised, catching us as we left my room. My door swung shut behind me as my mother peered at his with curious eyes. She was carrying clean clothes in her hands because she must've done the laundry while I was gone. I've always loved the smell of the lavender detergent she used.

My mom widened her eyes when she saw Michael, taking in his new look. I quickly forgot about my favorite lavender essence and gave her a small apologetic smile, rocking on my heels.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry for staying out, mom..."

"We'll talk about it later," she dismissed me stiffly. "You should get to school." she told us, her eyes lingering on Michael for a second too long before heading off to put my clothes away. It seemed like she didn't want to talk once she saw Michael. I thought they hit it off well earlier.

"Dear, who are you talking-" my dad called, walking into the hallway. He stopped in his tracks when he saw us. "What in heaven's name?" my dad said under his breath.

His eyes trailed over Michael from his dirty converse, tight black skinny jeans, and Sex Pistols shirt to his tattoos, piercing, and red hair.

Michael swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing slightly. He ran his hand across his jawline, the short scruff from not shaving prickling his fingers as he did.