Chapter 5

Michael was out of the room faster than I could follow since I had to gather my books and take them to my locker. Angrily stalking out of the room, I made my way down the hall to the metal locker and shoved the books inside. The only positive thing running through my mind was that Luke was saving me a seat right about now, although I planned on doing something before going to see him. I was pissed and intended on confronting Michael because of the humiliation he purposefully caused.

I knew I might have been overreacting, but I wanted to know why he did it. Was there something about me that seemed particularly good for pranking or causing embarrassment?

As I walked quickly with a purpose to the cafeteria, I saw Luke sitting at the same table as yesterday with Jack, Andrew, and a few other friends. I managed to duck past them without catching their attention, and proceeded to find my obnoxious biology partner.

They weren’t difficult to spot since in the far corner of the cafeteria, Michael was sitting with Calum and another boy, who I assumed was, as Sabrina gossiped, Ashton fucking Irwin! Michael's hands were waving in the air and he was laughing just like before. He looked so animated, so into his story that he was telling, that I almost didn't go over, but my anger felt as though it could overflow inside me. I briskly made my way over to the table of three and glared at Michael, my hands crossed over my chest.

Calum looked up first with a small smile just like he did in English class, and I meant to return the kindness but my intent was clear. I kept my eyes on Michael, who finally peered over at me once Ashton did as well.

"Ah, just the girl I was talking about!" Michael leaned back and gestured for me to sit down with them. I shook my head, not keen on having an awkward lunch with the three popular guys of the high school. Plus, I had better, nicer friends waiting for me across the room.

Seeing my refusal, Michael used an annoyingly sweet voice and asked, "Leah, you do know it's rude to reject someone when they so politely ask you to sit, right?"

I sarcastically smiled at him and made a dramatic event of sitting down by slowly pulling out the chair. I crossed my legs and looked at him.

"Michael, you do know you're considered a prick when you mess with new students, right?" I mocked him, and Ashton peeled over with laughter. Although I didn’t know him, his reaction caused me to like him already.

 Ashton watched us like we were a TV show while Calum’s lips were turned up in a slight grin before looking down at the table with amusement.

"Leah, calm down! I was just having a bit of fun. You need to learn how to take a joke." Michael said, twisting the cap off of a bottle of coke. It fizzed a bit, but he brought the bottle to his lips, and I watched the dark liquid flow out of the container and into his mouth. He let out a sigh of happiness and set his drink down.

"Sure, Michael. I'll gladly learn how to take a joke!" I said honestly, but continued. "I really will, but not when that joke involves getting laughed at and reprimanded by your teacher in front of my whole biology class!"

A glimmer of guilt filled Michael's eyes, but it quickly disappeared as if he didn't want anyone to see. Calum stayed quiet along with Ashton, but their eyes flicked from their best friend to me.

"Okay, I understand. Just calm down," Michael said, but he was much softer this time, almost like he was talking me off the edge. His normally gruff tone was now silky and easygoing.

Noticing his change in attitude, I sighed and asked, “I guess I just want to know why you did it? Was it just to make me into a walking laughing stock?”

Michael rolled his eyes, obviously finding my reaction to be overdramatic. The thing is he’d probably react the same way if he were me: new and cautious in a different school, or country to say the least.