Chapter 24

My books practically fell out of my locker, tumbling forward into my chest. With a huff, I shoved them all back in only taking the one's I needed for math. Gently closing the locker, I spun on my heels walking quickly down the hallway.

"Hey, Leah!" Caroline called behind me. I stopped, retracing my steps to meet her at her locker. "Do you have a class now?"

"No, I was just grabbing my books. I was going to the library, actually." I told her, restacking the books and folders in my hands.

"Great," she grinned, not bothering to be quiet as she slammed her locker door. "I don't have a class either." I silently wondered where Ashton was because it was weird not seeing him hanging all over her, or vice versa, but I pushed the thought aside.

We started down the hallway together in a comfortable silence, watching different friends converse and idiot guys shove each other on their way to class. We turned right to find the library, the most silent room in all of the school.

"Honestly, I do my homework and stuff but even don't hang out in the library," Caroline laughed, finding a far table in the back where we could sit and talk quietly. I let her statement go, not bothering to tell her how much work you can get done in here. "I haven't seen you, like, all day. Why weren't you at lunch?"

I shrugged, not really wanting to talk about it.

"I wasn't hungry," I somewhat lied. Honestly, I was avoiding Michael for the day since he hadn't found me to talk since last night's awkward event. He'd come to me when he was ready to explain whatever the hell happened.

"Oh," Caroline frowned. "Anyway, what are you wearing to the dance on friday?"

"What?" I sat forward, staring at my friend. Dance? I hadn't heard about one and worse, I've never been to one.

"You know, the back to school dance? Happens every high school year in September?"  she said to get me to remember. I relaxed my back against the chair.

"Homeschool," I sang to remind her.

"Oh, I forgot!" she giggled. "Well, on Friday we have the back to school dance. It's always really fun, I promise."  Caroline smiled widely, pulling out her phone in her pocket to show me the dress she's wearing. "Don't worry, it's not super fancy. Just a cute dress will work."

"Care, I don't know if I want to go," I said, sad to disappoint her. I've never been to a dance and was a little intimidated. I could just stay home and watch Netflix on Friday instead. That's what I normally do...

"No, you have to!" she whined, covering my hand with hers. "You're one of my best friends. Please?" 

I sighed moving my hand out from under hers. Could a dance really be that bad? I mean, I've seen the cheesy movies that interpret high school completely wrong and make dances seem like the best things about school, but I wasn't sure. Plus everyone would look so much prettier than me but I figured it wouldn't be the worst night of my life.

"Fine," I said after much consideration. "But I'm not going with a date or anything."

"You don't have to!" she squealed, wrapping me in odd, sitting hug. "I'm so excited! We can get ready together after school on Friday and then drive over to Ashton's where all the boys and us can drive together!"

My heart dropped into my stomach. Would Michael be back to being my friend by then? Would it just make things awkward?

"Can't we just drive ourselves? It's pointless to go there first..." I reasoned with her but Caroline shook her head, her perfectly straightened, silky brown hair swaying from side to side. I've always wanted gorgeous hair like her's.

"You may not want a date to the dance but Ashton is mine," she told me with a sympathetic look. "Please? It'll be great, I promise."

"Alright," I agreed. I swear, I can't say no. I'd  give in to about anything. Anything but Michael trying to kiss you, my conscience rudely echoed in my head. I needed to tell someone about what happened, just to get it off my mind. "Can I tell you something if you promise not to tell anyone? Not even Ashton."

She nodded seriously, leaning in like it was some huge secret.

"You can always trust me, you know that." Caroline replied softly. I nodded, taking a breath like I was diving into a pool. 

"Michael triedtokissme," I mumbled quickly without making eye contact. Caroline gave me a confused glance, leaning forward even more.

"What?" 

"Michael tried to kiss me." I said much slower this time, thankfully able to hold in the blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Oh my god," she covered her mouth which held a crazy smile. "Oh my god! Is he a good kisser?" she gushed, grabbing my shoulders. "'Cause he looks like it."

"Tried. He tried to kiss me, Caroline," I corrected her, the corners of my mouth turned down. It made grimace just thinking about it.

"Well then what happened!?" she screached, earning a 'shh' from the librarian. "Sorry," she whispered.

"I stopped him," I said plainly now becoming very interested in the hem of my shirt. Caroline eye's grew larger, staring at me intently.

"You what?"  she asked with a crazed expression. "Nevermind, I just- I don't understand," she exhaled loudly, bowing her head.

"I didn't want to kiss him," I said but felt a weird feeling in my stomach. It twisted inside me, making me feel queasy. What the hell? " Like we were having a really good conversation and were acting like friends and then he pushed me back on my bed and tried to kiss me."

"You really didn't want to kiss him?" Caroline wondered with confusion. I thought over her question and I quite honestly didn't know. "Or were you afraid to kiss him?"

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "I guess both."

"That's okay. I was terrified when Ashton was about to kiss me," she said sympathetically and rubbed my arm. I pulled away slightly.

"But you didn't stop him!" I groaned, realizing that telling her didn't do anything for me. I was still getting the knots in my stomach.

"You know what this means though, right?" she smiled, scooting her chair closer to me so that she didn't get in trouble for speaking loudly in the library. I shook my head, unsure of what she meant. "Michael likes you. Michael Clifford has a crush on you."