Chapter 7

Leah's P.O.V.:

It was Thursday, leaving me with only one more day until the weekend.

As I parked my car, I thought about the text I got from Luke last night, explaining that he was finally in the band. I was so ecstatic for him, and more than thankful for Michael. He made Luke's dream come true and for that I would be grateful.

I walked into school that morning knowing I had a lot of time. I liked arriving early so that I could breathe and unpack all of my books with more than enough time to get to class.

Pulling out my phone in the courtyard, I sat on the bench and mindlessly scrolled through Instagram, not actually liking any pictures before switching to Twitter. I never posted on the website, but just read everyone else's since it was interesting to see what people were up to. It was easy to get caught up in tweets because I jumped when someone sat next to me.

"Woah, chill." Michael grinned over at me in his black t-shirt and skinny jeans. I noticed the smile tugging on his lips as his eyes raked over my expression.

"Hey," I smiled back, tucking my phone in my top backpack pocket which leaned against the bench leg. Michael looked out over the courtyard, but I knew I had his attention.

"5 Seconds of Summer," he said, still not making eye contact with me. I knit my eyebrows together in confusion until his green eyes finally found my brown ones with a slight sparkle. "It's our band name."

"Oh!" I gasped, moving my long hair from my shoulders to behind me. "I like that." I complimented him and noticed the way his arm muscles flexed delicately under his pale skin.

"You know, I was really hoping for something like 'Michael and the other less important guys'" Michael told me a stupid joke and gestured with his hands in the air like it was an upcoming movie title before continuing with a playful tone. "But that didn't happen, unfortunately."

"Maybe that's because your ego is too big," I teasingly told him which made Michael sigh dramatically and clutch his chest.

"Ouch!" he pretended to be hurt, but the expression immediately fell away to be replaced with a smile. Michael went on, his body now angled toward mine. He seemed less distracted with the courtyard and more focused on me, much to my contentment. "I did come up with 5 Seconds of Summer, though."

"Did you, now?" I raised my eyebrows, earning a laugh from him.

"Yeah, with the help of Luke. He's not too bad, actually," Michael admitted, rolling his shoulders back as I grinned in response.

"I told you!" I punched his arm lightly, Michael's lips parting and curling up.

"Yeah, yeah." he muttered, flicking his eyes up toward the sky in a playful annoyance. I bumped his shoulder with mine and Michael chuckled. "You know about me so what did you do last night?" he asked, and I realized this is the most normal conversation we've had. I liked it.

"Homework, more homework, oh, and homework." I said sarcastically. We actually didn't have too much homework at all, but I didn't want him to know how much of a pathetic life I had. I didn't do anything interesting, or at least nothing compared to forming a band.

"No, but really." Michael pushed and I contemplated my answer.

"Since we just moved, I helped my parents with boxes and put away groceries. Pretty boring things, I guess," I shrugged, pursing my lips and hoping I didn't sound too boring.

"Well, moving isn't a quick thing. It'll be over soon, though. You'll settle down eventually" he reasoned and I nodded with a grateful expression. His kindness was unexpected and honestly very charming. When he wasn't making me feel like an idiot or embarrassing me, there was something very attractive about him.