Chapter 30

___MICHAEL'S P.O.V.___

As I strolled into the cafeteria to find my friends, I tried to get my mind off of my, yet another, failing grade in calculus. I knew my mother was going to be furious, and I tried not to give a shit, but my awful grades bothered me. I wanted to be like all those smart kids who didn't have to study, yet still got all A's. Okay, maybe I didn't try as hard as I should've, but it didn't make sense and definitely was not fair how it was so hard for me and not for others. I didn't want to fail, it just seemed like it was the only thing I was good at.

Walking over to our usual table, I made a split second decision in my mind. I questioned whether to sit beside Leah or across from her. A stupid decision, I know, and probably not worth worrying about but I wasn't exactly sure how outward I wanted to be with my feelings. We weren't dating so obviously we shouldn't act like it, but I also couldn't act like there was nothing between us, right?

I liked how the fair went the other day, carrying her on my back as she fell asleep but the moment we reached our friends I woke her up. For some reason, I didn't want them to know and I didn't think she did either. It might sound crazy, but showing affection toward each other in front of people made my stomach churn with an odd feeling. The moment I put my arm over her shoulders the other day I felt like all eyes were on me and I needed to take it away. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I was terrified that after we finally let whatever we had going between us happen, we'd lose interest and fade away. A stupid thought I guess but I've heard it happen to so many people.

I pushed all feelings for Leah into the back of my mind and took the seat across from her. She have me a faint smile, sipping her water. I looked away, slightly ashamed by my thoughts. How come I get a sick and nervous feeling when I show affection towards the girl I know I like? It's ridiculous.

I just noticed, after putting my awful thoughts aside, that Ashton's hands were in tight fists, his nostrils flared. If you know Ashton, you know this is a bad sign. His eyes were narrowed and his face was tinted pink. Caroline was seated next to Leah, looking just as pissed off. Her brown hair was tossed angrily over her shoulders, her eyes locked on the table as Ashton's roamed her face.

I gave Leah a puzzled look but she shook her head ever so slightly, warning me to not to ask.

"So...?" I spoke up, breaking the silence. Slowly, Caroline looked up and then Ashton. Turning their heads from me to each other, they erupted into an argument.

"I don't understand why you don't trust me!" Caroline burst, crossing her tiny arms. For a small girl, she was fucking terrifying. On the other hand, Leah looked annoyed that the fight was continuing.

"It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that...that I-"

"Oh, save it, Ashton," she snapped before swinging her legs toward Leah. Leah sat back as if bracing herself for an oncoming storm. "You'll come with me, won't you?"

Leah's jaw dropped as she stuttered, unsure of what to say.

"To what exactly?" I asked confused. Caroline shot me a look, her anger at Ashton still existent with a single glance.

"A party Friday night," she growled, frowning at Ashton. "You have to be invited to go and I want to,"

"Okay?" I didn't understand what all the anger was about.

"Ashton wasn't invited and doesn't want me to go because other guys will be there," Caroline explained and added, "Because he doesn't trust me,"

Ashton rolled his eyes, raking his freaky ass long fingers through his now too long hair. His mother was telling me when I went to hang at his place how I should convince him to cut it. Being polite I told her I would, but I never have.