Chapter 66

I woke up with my face smushed against Luke's shoulder, his arm curled around my waist and the blanket still draped over us. I picked my head up and quickly felt the cold crisp air run over my skin while goosebumps instantly formed. Clutching the blanket, I shook Luke lightly causing him to groan softly and pull me closer into him.

I laughed and tried to pry Luke's fingers away but he held on for dear life, burying his head into my neck without opening his eyes.

"Luke," I giggled although the warmth was nice. "Luke, you have to wake up."

I watched as his lips turned down into a frown and his fingers slowly released me. His blue eyes fluttered open and carefully examined our surroundings.

"Good morning, sleepy head," I teased and ruffled his hair. He wrinkled his nose at me before sitting up and rubbing his tired eyes.

"It's morning already?" he asked sadly, my lips spreading into a smile.

"Yes," I replied and crawled off the flatbed of Ashton's pick-up truck with a small jump. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," Luke shot me a crooked grin and followed me out of Ashton's car with the blanket adorably wrapped around his shoulders. "Haven't slept that well in ages."

"Don't tell Abigail that," I warned him but he waved me off as we curled around the car to see the beach before us, the water shimmering under the newly risen sun and the sand still cold from the absence of light during the night.

"She'll get over it," he decided, falling into stride with me as we walked. I notice his arm closest to me twitch up for a moment toward my shoulders before returning back to his side, a slight frown on my face. I was still cold with the crisp morning air but didn't want to be selfish by asking Luke to share his blanket again. "I'm starving."

"Me too," I agreed and held my stomach as it rumbled and growled on cue. "I wonder where everyone is."

We arrived where the bonfire once was and looked around. I had a feeling Caroline, Abigail, and Calum were still asleep but Ashton and Michael's tent was unzipped.

"I'll check if they're inside," I told Luke in a hushed tone, padding over in the sand to bend over and look in the small tent. The blankets were strewn all over the floor with pillows scattered, but no tall Australian boys.

I began to duck out with disappointment when two arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back into someone's chest. My hands flew on top of their's as a gasp escaped my lips.

"Good morning," a tired, raspy voice hummed in my ear, his nose brushing my hair line as my body was held close against his. I couldn't help the smile on my face as I spun in Michael's arms and noticed his messy morning hair.

"Hi," I giggled softly, resting my hands on his chest before being surprised by his lips pecking mine quickly. I worried about morning breath but it was just a quick display of affection since our other friends were beginning to wake up and join us. Ashton and Luke were already chatting quietly.

"I missed you," Michael said, taking last night's events to now really tell me how he felt. I liked that we were being more open to each other.

"I missed you too." I smiled at the close distance between us. It was as if my body was drawn toward his like a magnet.

"Hmm," Michael sighed in contentment and watched me playfully, his eyes attractively boring into mine. Using his thumb, he ran it over my bottom lip and jokingly asked, "Do I have permission to kidnap you today?"

"I don't know," I clucked my tongue teasingly although the idea sounded more than perfect to me. "I'm not sure if I want to."

"That's why it's called kidnapping." Michael reasoned, tickling my sides with his fingers. I shrieked so he quickly stopped and laughed softly, hugging me into his chest.