62

[A/N: Today's chapter features another lovely song I am incredibly in love with. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to figure out when to play it, so I'll leave it up to you! (or you can have it on repeat, like I did!) enjoy!]

-Kaisa-

I spend another 15 minutes recuperating my thoughts before dedicating myself to escaping. Although I've just discovered I am able to melt through these walls with my bare hands from the smoke I've seen, I still can't figure out a way to remove myself from these chains around my limbs. Moreover, I have no idea how far away I am from any other person, so screaming or making noise probably won't work.

Taking one last look around the room, there's nothing available besides the sharp blue crystals from the room. The closest pointy edge to me is on my left, so I shuffle as much as I can towards it on my stomach. My right leg is tugged upon by the cuff, but I persevere by extending my body towards it. With arms reaching out in front of me, I try to hook one of the chain links onto the sharp edge. Failure after failure, irritation grows in me.

With one final try, I raise my hands with all my force before slamming it down. The chain crashes against the edge and gives way, splitting my hands free. A huge smile spreads across my face, realising I am one step closer to home. Sitting up, my only issue is to release my ankles from their restraints. An idea pops into my head, and I lean over to the pointy edge once more, holding onto its base. Closing my eyes and remember all the tribulations I've endured to finally experience the change within my own heart.

Even though I remember their deaths, I finally can forgive myself. It was not my fault; it was never my fault. The only thing to blame for this awful world is the cruel creators of it.

With a tug, the crystal snaps in two, leaving me with the shard in my hand. While disbelief swims inside of me, I quickly push myself up to sit on my ass. Ankles in front of me, I turn the sharp edge towards the chain and stab the links. Eventually, one buckle breaks. The sound echoes throughout the room and I know I need to hurry up if I'm going to get out of here without bringing too much attention to myself. They're probably already wondering what is making so much noise.

Another hit and the last chain breaks. There are no sounds coming from either side, and I can't feel any presences making their way towards me so it's safe to say that I'm okay for now. Rushing over to the bars, I pull with all my strength to open them, but it doesn't work.

Great, another time where I just can't seem to use these abilities whenever I want.

Since the bars are no longer an option, the only other way I can think of to get out of here is through the walls. Collecting myself, I place both hands on the same wall the bars are attached to before closing my eyes. Without knowing what I'm doing, I breathe and imagine the walls parting from my touch. I open one eye, hoping to see progress.

And I do!

In surprise, both eyes are wide open, watching the blue stone steam away before me. A nervous laugh escapes me as I lean my weight against my palms. Once the initial shock is over, I can't help but wonder why I am able to do this.

Why would I possess the power to melt through this stone? Why am I equipped with the ability to turn this into steam if not with the intention to break it?

I can't answer these questions. In fact, I've just realised this new ability. I don't have time to be wondering why I can do it. Instead, I think of my two kids outside who need help.

Oh God.

I never even stopped to consider their safety once since I've been in here!

My stomach flips. Holy shit when did I become such a selfish bitch?! My anxiety runs rampant, jitters flooding throughout my veins. My foot begins to tap the floor subconsciously, and I bite my lip in anticipation.