Year 3: Hosting the Weasleys

The end of June had flown by and we had welcomed July with open arms. The garden in the backyard had flourished, bushes of raspberries and strawberries and twisting vines of tomatoes dotted the lawn with red, heads of lettuce stared up at you from the rows without a single brown leaf in sight, and we couldn't forget about the summer squash, turnips, radishes, cucumbers, and peppers. And the best part about it was that this time, we would keep most of the harvest, or at least of today's harvest.

You see, today was the day that the Weasleys, the seven of them that were in the country, would be coming by to meet my family. So, we would be needing all the food that we could get our hands on. And at the moment, that was our mission.

Gardenia, Oleander, Leilani, and I were knelt in the dirt, picking out some of the best-looking specimens. Gardenia was struggling under the weight of her basket of squash, but I knew that she would refuse any help even if it was offered to her. She was entering that phase where she desperately wanted to be like the rest of her older siblings, even if it was nearly impossible. She had thrown a fit when my clothes had been passed down to Leilani instead of her after Rosemary had taken me shopping.

I held my hand against my brow, shielding my eyes from the blazing summer sun, as I watched her totter inside. I went back to plucking peppers of green, yellow, orange, and red from the bush, looking for any sore spots that may have to be cut out.

"It's way too hot for all of this," Leilani mumbled to herself as she struggled to pull a radish out of the ground, mostly to prove her point.

"Then go inside, Leilani, no one is stopping you," I said, dropping a few peppers into my basket.

"And let Gardenia do a better job at this than me? No, thank you," She shook her head and crossed her arms over her chest.

"You're getting that teenager attitude a little early, aren't you?" I asked.

Leilani wouldn't turn twelve until the first of August, and she had the same attitude as some arrogant seventh year. I don't know where she picked up this annoying habit, but I'd been hoping that she would grow out of it for years now.

"Someone around here has to have a backbone," She rolled her eyes, "But I guess lousy Hufflepuffs like the two of you wouldn't understand."

"If Gryffindor is so great, then why'd you lose the house cup, not once, but twice?" Oleander asked, turning Leilani's fiery gaze upon him.

"Oh, shut up Oleander!" Leilani shouted, throwing an entire radish at our brother which he caught.

"I will not! You have no right to talk about how 'lousy' Hufflepuffs are, when they're the ones who had to go and rescue your dumb Gryffindor friends!" He shouted back before rubbing the radish on his shirt and taking a bite out of it.

"Both of you stop it. I really don't need you two arguing when people arrive, so please try and keep yourselves together just for today." I sighed, knowing that my only wish would inevitably be ignored.

"Oh, yeah, I'd hate to embarrass you in front of your stupid little boyfriend," Leilani said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

"He's not my boyfriend."

"You could've fooled me," She rolled her eyes, yet again.

"What do you know about boys Leilani? You're only eleven." Oleander huffed, once again looking to start an argument with her.

"And you're only twelve," She shook her head.

"Leilani, I am a boy!" Oleander shouted with annoyance, "And my birthday was last week. I'm thirteen."