Year 5: You're Wrong

The winds had picked up as soon as we'd arrived and I was suddenly very happy that Derrick had given me his coat, a simple charm would not have been enough to fight off the chill that ran its icy fingers over my exposed legs while I clung to Derrick's arm as we made our way down the sidewalk. I almost felt bad, knowing that he was only in whatever jumper he was wearing and the thin black jacket. He had to be cold, but he wasn't saying a word about it, not one complaint.

However, I knew that I would be the one complaining soon. I could see Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop up ahead, it's pink and turquoise paint glared against the long line of exposed wood of the shops around it. The windows were already fogged up from all of the teenagers packed tightly inside of the shop, and I could barely see through them to see if there were any open tables. I was hoping that there wouldn't be any so that we could maybe go to the three broomsticks and have some warm butterbeer like everyone else. I could already tell that all the students inside were going to be snogging and that would just put me off my tea.

When we approached the door, Derrick detached himself from me and opened the door. There was a rush of warm air that burst forth from the shop and I had to press my nails into the palms of my hands to keep myself from cringing away from it. I took one last deep breath of crisp fall air, and stepped inside.

Everything inside was done up in white, pink, and turquoise and almost every surface had either lace or satin ribbons decorating it. There had to be at least two dozen tiny round tables with lacey napkins shoved into the small shop, and they were so close together that Madam Puddifoot herself was struggling to get between them to serve the students that were sat about. Normally, I wasn't one to complain about something being too feminine or girly, but this was a bit too much. I knew that this was the well known haunt for students looking for a place to snog without being kicked out, and that contributed to all the gaudy décor, but it still turned my stomach.

I couldn't help but think that maybe if there were booths instead of separate tables around the perimeter of the room, then that could help maximize the small space, but I wasn't brought here to judge the interior design of the place. I was brought here on a date, and I was hoping that it wouldn't be too expensive. We may have come into enough money to afford new robes and schoolbooks, but Amaryllis had sent us with the same amount of pocket change that she normally did.

"I think I see a table, right over there," Derrick said, pointing to one of the two tables left open by the front windows of the shop. At least if we sat there, I'd be able to watch other people having a good time while they were here at Hogsmeade, if I wiped the window with my sleeve, that is.

I took the lead, making my way carefully between the tables and trying not to elbow any students in the back of the head, which was a whole lot harder than one would imagine. We finally made it over to the table, which with both Derrick and myself sat at it, looked a lot smaller than it did from across the room. With Derrick being at least six foot, and me not being too far off from that, we did take up more room that most of the couples in here, not that we were a couple or anything.

"So, have you ever been here before?" He asked, picking up the pink lacey menu that was sat on the table in front of him.

"No, I haven't," I said, picking up my menu, "The last date I went on was to the Three Broomsticks for a couple rounds of butterbeer back in third year."

"It's been that long?" He asked, "I don't believe it for a second."

"Well, you better start believing because, I'm not taking the piss here," I laughed, trying to keep my voice down, "Have you been here before?"

He cleared his throat, "A few times, but I am a whole year older than you, it just makes sense that I would have a little more experience. But what sad bloke took you to the Three Broomsticks?"