Year 5: Sit, Stay, Speak

(Before this chapter begins, I would like to inform you that I will not be going by the movie on how werewolves look because I just really don't like it. Remus didn't really look like a wolf at all, and he wasn't scary when he was supposed to be at his most dangerous. So, according to the wiki, werewolves look like normal wolves, but I think they're slightly bigger and more intelligent.)

The Halloween feast was upon us, and even with the flickering candles and happily carved pumpkins, there was nothing but anxiety flooding my chest as Heather sat beside me, anxiously tapping her foot while she pushed food around on her plate. She needed to eat, but I knew that she was nervous. I'd been paranoid since that night I ran into McGonagall, worried that she'd say something to Dumbledore and we'd go into a full-blown lockdown because she thought that she saw Sirius Black roaming that hall of a school full of children.

Yet, no such thing had happened, but that fear never went away. Even now, as she spoke to him at the staff table, I felt as though I was going to be sick. Maybe I'd caught whatever Adrian and George had come down with the other day. I knew that I shouldn't have gone into their rooms, but they hadn't come down for breakfast or lunch, and they needed to eat, no matter how sick they were. So, I'd slipped into their rooms and left them something. It must have worked because the next day they were back in class.

Sure, I said that I wasn't looking after George. I told him that I didn't need him looking out for me, and I was sure that it went the other way too. However, George didn't seem to be the best at taking care of himself, and just because I was mad at him, didn't mean that I wanted him to die of whatever sickness he'd contracted.

But, they weren't my focus tonight, I was looking after Heather. She was on edge, because the sun was quickly setting and we still hadn't come up with a reason to sneak away from the great hall. I suggested that we just get up and leave, but Heather was worried that our friends would ask why we were leaving, and she didn't want to tell them just yet. She wanted to see how tonight went with me there with her, because as soon as they found out why I'd become an animagus, then they'd want to too. Maybe not Tamara, but Colleen would for certain, maybe even Robin.

Heather didn't want to drag them all into this if she could help it, but I could tell that they were starting to pick up on the fact that something was off. We'd have to tell them eventually, sharing a room with a werewolf was something that people should know that their doing, but I was going to leave that up to Heather. This was not my secret to tell, it just simply wasn't my place and I was not about to overstep any boundaries.

"Heather, you need to eat," I whispered to her, "We've got a long night ahead of us."

"I'll just eat in the morning."

"You'll be too tired," I said, "Like last time."

"Juniper, doll, I've done this a few times now," She said, "I know a little more than you."

"I'm sorry," I said, "I just know it takes a lot of energy, and I want you to be as comfortable as possible."

"It's going to be a lot comfortable with you there," She said, with a small smile, "But we need to go before it gets too dark, you know, like right now."

"What do we say?"

"Nothing, it's worked for me that last few times."

"You said you didn't want to do that," I said, shaking my head.

"That was then, this is now that I realize we're already pushing it as it is," She said, "There's no time for us to come up with something."

"Alright, let's go."

Without a word to our friends who were chatting around us, we got up and made our way out of the great hall. It came as a shock to me, but I was very thankful for the fact that no one seemed to notice us get up. Everyone was too busy talking about what they'd been up to, or the entertainment for the night, or what the next month or so of school would bring. Sometimes, I get so tangled up in my own life that I forget that everyone else around me has their own lives and they don't experience the same things as I do the same way as I do on any given day.