Year 4: A Dream Come True

(This is sort of what I've been imagining juniper to look like if anyone has been interested. I made this on artbreeder btw)

George's POV:

About a week had passed since Valentine's Day, and Juni had been avoiding me every chance she got. Fred said that I was being dramatic and that she'd been busy, but he didn't see her turn around and walk the other way down the hall when I waved to her two days ago. Of course, I thought of all the things that I could have done or said that might have driven her off, but I came up empty except for one thing...

The poem I wrote for her.

It had taken me hours to write it and I'd wasted I don't know how much parchment on the rough drafts. I'd thought that it could have been a bit longer, or maybe even just worded a little better, but I thought that it was an alright poem considering I'd never written anything like it before. But something that had hung out in my head for days: what if she found out that I was the one that wrote it.

I had avoided mentioning fireworks or quidditch so that she wouldn't know I'd written it at first. I was hoping that she'd come to us and show us the poem and tell us how much she'd liked it. That was about the time that I had been planning to tell her that I'd written it, but that day never came.

After Valentine's, I'd rarely seen June unless we were in class together, and even then, she only spoke to me if I spoke to her. So, I assumed that a reasonable conclusion would be that she knew I wrote it, and that I'd gone and ruined our friendship in a single paragraph. Of course, there was no one that I could talk to about this as this was my secret and I didn't plan on telling anyone else about it anytime soon. I'd told Lockhart and I'd almost had to punch him when he asked me, out loud, how the poem to Juni had gone.

With a hushed "she hates me," he'd quickly left me alone.

So, as had become a habit after befriending Juni, I was trekking across the grounds in the middle of the night to the astrology tower just to think. There's was too much noise in the dorms to think about anything clearly, and there were always people in the common room, day or night, so it was best to get out of the tower for an hour or two.

I clutched at my dressing gown, wishing that I worn my flannel pyjamas instead of the short sleeves ones that were much thinner since it was still a little chilly out, only being late February. As I walked, the fluffy fabric held tight against my chest, I cast looks over my shoulder, keeping an eye out for any stray teachers that may or may not be prowling to grounds for out of bed students. With the whole snake thing going on, they'd been on high alert, and rightfully so.

There had been a cat, two students, and a ghost petrified since Halloween, and it was starting to get really concerning. I knew that Juni as well as many of our friends were all at danger of being the next victims, and when I thought about it, I half wished that Juni would have stayed home. Sure, I would have missed her, but it wasn't like I was seeing a whole lot of her anyway.

Merlin, before I knew that I liked her, we spent what felt like every second of every day together, and now that I knew I liked her and I wanted nothing more than to be around her, she was running from me as though I'd been You Know Who himself.

I didn't understand it, and I didn't think that I ever would. Girls had always confused me, my mum and sister included...

By the time I reached the astronomy tower, the moon was high in the sky, bathing the courtyard in a milky blue-white light while the stars twinkled up in the thick black of the sky, reminding me of that stupid poem and how I'd said that they reminded me of her eyes. That just wasn't true. When I looked into her eyes, I didn't see the gentle twinkling of the stars.