Year 3: Fairy Wings and Werewolf Drool

"Is that new too?" George asked, pointing at the golden necklace that I had gotten this morning.

"Yeah, Amaryllis sent it to me. It's got pictures of my parents in it," I said, pressing the little button on top and watching it swing open. My parents' grinning faces looked up at me and I couldn't help but smile.

George gently took it out of my hand, but not from around my neck. He held it carefully, as though he were worried that he would break it or something. His brown eyes focused on the pictures, occasionally glancing up at me before almost instantly jumping back down to the locket. He looked up a final time and just smiled at me.

"You look like her, you know that?" He said, shaking his head, "Like it's mental that you two look that much alike, even though she is your mum."

"You really think so?" I asked. I knew we had our similarities, but I didn't know that we looked so much alike.

But it did make me smile. It was quite possibly my favorite thing he had ever said to me. I know, people say that kids look like their parents all the time, but most of the time, their parents aren't dead or even if they are, they remember seeing them in person. If I didn't have the pictures Amaryllis had given me, I'd have no idea what they looked like.

"Yeah," he said, "You've got her nose and her smile and her hair of course."

I couldn't stop the smile from widening as he continued to gaze at the pictures.

"I can tell you've got his eyes though, and his high cheekbones," He continued, and what Lyra had said to me about a week ago ran through my mind.

"They'd have to be blind not to have noticed those nice cheekbones and gorgeous eyes."

"Thank you, Georgie." I said, and he just nodded before closing the locket and letting it fall against my chest.

"No problem, Juni." He said, turning back to his cake and breakfast.

I wondered if he knew how happy his little comments made me. I had always felt like the odd one out while I was out in public with Amaryllis and her children, not as much as Rosemary with her coily hair and brown skin, but when she moved to Paris after she graduated, the attention moved on to me.

Leilani had shimmering blonde waves that crashed over the shores of her easily tanned back and arms. She had a dusting of freckles across her shoulders like the footsteps of small dancing fairies and dark, inky brown eyes that would bring any boy to his knees. She was brash and blunt like the sharp, straight nose that never seemed to draw attention from anything else. She knew that she was pretty, and when she wanted, she would let you know that she knew too. We never really got along, but I had to admit that I admired her confidence greatly.

Oleander had warm brown curls that were always silky and bounced easily when he walked. His skin always held some color from the time spent outside over the summer no matter how much time seemed to pass, his cheeks fresh blossoms of pink. His brown eyes were warm and soft, like the crisp edges of a fresh baked pie sat in someone's window sat out above the slightly sloping hill of his rosy nose. He was shy and quiet, and even if he didn't often voice his opinions or feelings, I knew he was full of them.

Now, Gardenia was a bit of a different story. Raven hair fell in the softest of waves down to her waist, a thick white streak cutting through the darkness just off center from her widow's peak, dipping down into her eyebrow. She had, what I could only describe as, Slytherin green eyes. However, they held none of the chill of their dark common room or snarky jokes. They were always excited and bouncing around, hungry for whatever new thing they could fall upon next. Her nose was the epitome of perfection like her mother's, a cute button nose to offset the sharpness of her canines when she smiled.