Year 3: The Howler, The Lizard, and The Tea Leaves

It was half-past midnight when I finally made my way down the hall to my dorm. I don't know how muggles do stuff like this everyday, if I didn't respect them before, I sure did now. There had been three of us working at that mess and it still took us hours. There were a few times that I wished I had never even spoken to the twins, but I knew that was just the fact that I was hungry and tired getting to me.

After we finished, the three of us had slipped down to the kitchens where we ate what was left from what the house elves had to make for the students earlier this evening (a dinner that they all ate in their common rooms or dorms since we had made such a mess of the hall). They hadn't been very happy with us, but still said they found pleasure in making sure that we were fed before we ran off to bed.

I can't count how many times I had apologized to them.

But they were quite happy to hear that they would have some extra help in the kitchens for the next week, which was something that I was not looking forward too. Amaryllis may be a wonderful baker, but she never taught me how to make anything besides pancakes (both the English and the American ways of doing so. You'd be quite surprised at how different they really are.) I was sure that they were going to regret welcoming us so eagerly when it came time for dinner tomorrow afternoon.

Now, however, I was lazily knocking on the barrels and wanting nothing more to fall face first onto my bed. Of course, I couldn't do that as thanks to Lee and Peeves, I was absolutely covered in potatoes and was going to have to take the shower of a lifetime.

I was planning on creeping into my dorm and doing my best to sneak into the bathroom with a change of clothes without waking up my dormmates. However, they seemed to be one step ahead of me, and by that, I mean they were all sitting up and talking when I walked through the door.

"Juniper, where have you been?" Heather asked, sitting with her legs crossed under her soft-looking flannel nightgown.

"I um...had detention." I shrugged.

"You, had detention?" Tamara laughed, "I'm not buying it. Where were you really?"

"I was in the great hall with Fred and George cleaning up the mess our prank made," I mumbled.

I had assumed that they would've put two and two together to figure out that I had a part in the prank. I had also expected them to be upset with my for ruining their hair and clothes. However, they seemed to be in a rather delightful mood considering what had gone down only a few hours earlier.

"Hold on, our prank. As in, you were a part of that whole little show that Fred and George put on at dinner?" Tamara asked.

"Yeah, and listen guys, I'm really sorry. That whole thing got really out of hand, I didn't even know about the potatoes until they were happening. I hope you aren't mad at me, but if you are that's okay. if I can handle at least a month's worth of detention, then I can handle not talking to you guys for a bit."

"Girl, why are you apologizing?" Colleen asked and I just stared at her in shock for a few moments.

"Why wouldn't I-"

"That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen." Heather beamed.

I knew that she wouldn't be upset with me. I mean, she was almost crying she was trying so hard not to laugh.

"I knew that it seemed a bit too intricate to be something that those two came up with on their own. I could've done without the potatoes though. If they would've stained my scarf, I'd be a little more upset, but they didn't so we're good." Tamara shrugged.

"It's just a scarf, Mara," Colleen shook her head.

"It is not just a scarf. It's a scarf in my favorite color," She said with a sigh.