Year 6: The Truth Unfolds

Juni's POV:

The sun peered through the heavy red curtains as I creaked my eyes open. The warmth from George's arms enveloped me, and I was happy to see he was finally asleep. We'd spent the whole night up and down with my nightmares, no matter how many times I told him I was fine, he saw right through me and sat up with me.

We'd skipped the rest of our classes yesterday, and Fred had brought us dinner from the dining hall as I didn't want to be surrounded by so many people after the scene I'd made in the hallway yesterday afternoon. There was still a sinking feeling in my stomach and a pressure in my throat like I was going to be sick.

All those years of bullying and teasing about being Bellatrix's daughter were all flooding back to me. Amaryllis had assured me over and over that it wasn't true. Why would she lie to me? The photos of me and my parents? Should I even call them that? I couldn't be sure. But all the nights I'd sat at their graves... had it all just been a coverup for the truth? My mother was a demented killer locked away in Azkaban and not a kind muggle in love with the magic she herself did not hold?

My locket was cold and heavy against my skin. If they aren't my parents, then who are they?

I reached down and pulled it up to eye level, clicking it open. Their smiling faces stared back at me, I examined their faces, trying to grasp any physical detail that could reassure me Bellatrix's words has been nothing more than the ramblings of a mad woman. My mother's curls, a glimmering ginger, mine, jet black. My father's hair, nowhere close to curls, in a deep mahogany, not black. Bellatrix, with her dark wild hair, and the black family with their shining ice blue eyes. It felt like the truth had been sitting in front of me the whole time. But, could I make myself believe it?

If they weren't my parents, why did Lucius Malfoy say they were? If I were his niece, he would know, I assume anyway. Perhaps he just didn't want to think about his sister-in-law?

"June," I heard my name whispered across the room.

I looked across the room to see Fred sitting up in bed, "What Fred?"

"There's something you aren't telling us about yesterday, isn't there?" He asked.

The knots in my stomach tightened. I hadn't told Fred and George about Bellatrix's words that had done nothing but circle my mind since I heard them in the memory. I thought the lie that I was only upset about the fact that I saw my mother die was enough. I mean, she gave her life for me and Rosemary. She had been completely defenseless, and yet, she tried anyway. The fear she had to have felt. The look in Rosemary's eyes as she clutched the rails of the crib.

I did my best to get out of bed without waking George, I needed to know how Fred would react first. I didn't want to put strain on my new relationship that I had waited years for over something that I couldn't even be sure was true.

Fred moved up in his bed, leaving the end free for me to sit with him.

"There is something else I saw," I said, taking in a shaking breath, "And I don't know what to make of it, so I didn't want to upset anyone anymore than I already have."

"Darling, you haven't upset anyone, we just worry about you. I mean, to me you're like another sister, just older and cooler, and you've just always been around. For the last three years anyway."

"If I haven't upset you already, then, I don't know how you'll react to what I'm gonna say next."

"How bad can it be? We've been with you through quite a lot already."

"Nothing like this before though."

"Try me."

I shook my head, I guess funny Fred and serious Fred can come together when I'm not already crying or threatening to use an unforgivable curse on a child, "It's about the night my mother died. Something else happened."