6 3 | J U L I E T

Start from the beginning

"Honey, he's a teenager. Give him a break. You know we also used to sneak off to parties when we were his age." Abeo's father tried to placate his wife. He hadn't looked at us yet.

"But this is too much!" She said. "It's two in the morning. Jesus, look how he's passed out drunk! This is not acceptable," she said and they reached us.

Mr. Oluwa looked up then and his smile froze on his lips as he saw us. I saw Nova's eyes positively light up as he looked Mr. Oluwa. He moved his lips then when no sound came out, he stopped and realized he couldn't speak. I felt a stab of pity at him.

He turned to me for help.

"Hello, I'm Julia and this is Nova. We are friends with Abeo. We brought him home," I said to them.

"Good lord, he's reeking of alcohol!" Mrs. Oluwa said, plugging his nose with her fingers. "Where was he this time?"

"Just a friend's party," I replied. "Nothing to worry, Mrs. Oluwa. He just had a bit to drink but he's not usually like this," I added, feeling like I should stick up for Abeo when he couldn't speak for himself. After all, it was my fault for getting him drunk in the first place and on top of that he was sexually assaulted without even knowing it.

"Oh, sweetheart. You don't need to defend him. He's going to get an earful for this tomorrow no matter what. This has happened way too many times. Imagine his grades if he had invested all this time in studying!" She said, looking at Abeo in disappointment. "But thank you so much for bringing him here. I was afraid no one would do that for him and I don't exactly feel like he's safe to stay the night at whatever party he goes to." Then she looked at Nova, her eyes lingering on his massive built and the tattoos and lip ring and I knew exactly what she was thinking. She did not want him here any longer. "You can put him on his bed. You must be tired holding him up all this time." She said, pointing us in the direction of his bedroom.

Mr. Oluwa had not said anything to us the whole time and he was just looking down at Abeo in Nova's arms with what I recognized as disdain and disgust. I was sure it wasn't directed towards Abeo but rather who he was carried by.

"Yes. We're sorry we disturbed your sleep," I said, then grabbed Nova's bicep. "Nova, this way."

Nova followed me as I led the way, throwing back glances at the parents still stood there. I pushed open the door and ushered him inside. Nova went to the bed and set Abeo down, adjusting the pillow under his head until he was satisfied. I covered him with the duvet and Nova spent another minute fussing over it and making sure Abeo wasn't cold.

When he was done, he slowly scanned the room with a small wistful smile.

"It's so nice here."

"Yeah," I said. My eyes stung from sleep and I let out a yawn. Nova looked at me.

"You sleepy?"

I nodded.

"We should leave."

I nodded again.

Shutting off the lights, Nova gently closed the door behind him and we were back in the hallway. His parents were still standing there.

Nova hurried to them, typing on his device on the way. "Your house is so beautiful. We won't keep you up any longer. Sorry for disturbing. Good night Mr. and Mrs. Oluwa."

Mr. Oluwa cleared his throat, refusing to meet our eyes for longer than a few seconds. "Good night," he said gruffly.

"Yes, good night you two. Get home safe!" Mrs. Oluwa said.