2 0 | J U L I A

I stood in front of a guitar shop after work. I had decided to finally buy the guitar I had been saving up for.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out. I had bought it a few days ago, figuring I had enough money for both.

It was the Braxton's driver calling, the man who drove me to and from work. I forgot to tell him that I was going somewhere for a bit after work.

I told him I'd be at the library in fifteen minutes and apologized for the inconvenience.

"Hello, ma'am. What are you looking to buy?" A friendly girl behind the counter asked as soon as I walked in.

I gave her the style and specification I desired and she led me to the back where a similar range of guitars where stacked.

I inspected them, having a hard time come to a decision. Eli's guitar was my style so I should probably pick one like that. It would also give me a sense of familiarity and would make me feel close to him.

I tried a few guitars which the girl allowed and finally reached a decision to buy a dreadnought style one.

It certainly put a considerable dent in my pocket but it was worth it. I proudly slung my new guitar on my bag and walked out with a big grin. I couldn't wait to try it when I get to Braxton's house.

In the car on my way to the house, I kept staring at the two contacts I knew by heart. I wondered if it was okay for me to call my friends. They must be worried sick for me by now. It had been almost three months since my escape.

I deemed it still unsafe to do so.

Once I got to the house, I took out my brand new guitar. I couldn't wait to play my song on it. I was so excited that I was tempted to play in the store but I was shy to perform randomly in the shop so I had to wait till I was alone in my room.

Thankfully, I had recalled most of my songs, improvised on it and perfected the tune and melody. I just had to listen to how it would sound like on my guitar, not Eli's, not anyone else's but mine which I bought with my money.

Taking it out and setting on my lap, I ran my fingers along its texture to feel its cool surface against my skin.

Tuning the guitar, I tested the frets and chuckled happily as my fingers remembered the familiar movements from Eli's guitar.

Gradually once I got accustomed, I started singing the lyrics to one of my songs and my heart almost burst from happiness as I marvelled at the music that fell on my ears that was created by my voice and the chords.

A knock on my door made me jump in my seat as I turned to the unexpected person in my doorway.

Braxton was leaning on the doorframe with his arms folded over his chest, a gentle smile on his face. I set the guitar down on my bed and stood up.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you like that." He said.

"Were you eavesdropping?"

"No, I just got here. I heard the guitar and wanted to know where it was coming from. You got a new one?"

"Yes, I got it today. I think this one really suits me."

"May I take a look at it?"

"Of course, please." I said, gesturing him in.

I handed him my new purchase and he took it carefully, as if I were a baby. "Now I only know almost everything about drums and bass but I know a thing or two about guitars and this is a fine one you've picked."

"Really? Thank you." His approval further made me feel at ease.

"So I think you'll need some time to play on it and practice before you sing for me, right?"

"Oh, yes. I do need some time for that."

"Well, take as much time you need. I'll be waiting for your concert, just for me." He chuckled softly. "Good luck."

"Thanks." There was a pause in conversation before I decided to make things less awkward. "You're home early?"

"Yeah, well, I needed to pack. I'm going on tour soon, like in a few days and I need to make sure I have everything before we leave. I won't be home for about a month."

Although I normally avoided Braxton in the house, this tour thing made me a little disappointed that I wouldn't see him for quite some time.

"I heard about the band's tour. I'm a big fan. I know I didn't express it much but I really love your work and it has been inspiration to me." I said shyly. This might be the first time I openly expressed my admiration for Astronomical Beats.

"Really?" Braxton looked jovial. "I'll get the others to meet you some day if you'd like."

"Yes, please. I'd love to meet everyone on the band. Your leader, Imani Abello, she's so good. I want to tell that to her in person, and Darius and Park Geun as well." I chuckled nervously at the thought of meeting the rest of the band.

Braxton laughed along. "Then I really do have to get them home soon. I promise you. Now, I'll be gone for a month at the most, will I get to hear you sing first thing when I get back?" He asked hopefully.

My nerves bubbled to the surface again at the thought of singing in front of someone who's voice was loved by millions. But I had one month. I was going to work hard to impress him.

"Yes." I said without hesitation.

This was what I had ran away for. To achieve my dreams and make a career in it. This was a rare opportunity for me to have stumbled upon a celebrated singer. If I managed to impress him, no, when I will impress him, it will be a big indication that I was going in the right direction and that I had a chance to make my own destiny.

I wa going to make this count.

"That's great. That's what I wanted to hear. Now, I'll leave you to get back to your practice but one more thing, I'll need your number so that I can check on you during the time I'm away."

I nodded and retrieved my phone from my back pocket. "You're okay with me staying here without you in the house for one month?"

"Of course. There will be a cook and a few maids if you need them. Don't worry, I do kind of trust you."

"You shouldn't trust people so easily." I had to say it.

He gave me a smile. "Luckily, no one ever gave me a reason to not trust them."

Don't forget to vote, comment, shar rand follow!