5 5 | J U L I E T

"Good job, Murat!" Ms. Roosevelt said, patting his back as she placed his test on his desk.

"Thank you, Ms. Roosevelt," he said, looking over his paper.

A glance over his shoulder told me he got an A like me. Maira who was sat next to him  gave him a smirk.

"Nia, you need to work hard. Start by not skipping my classes, yeah?" The teacher said, shaking her head in disappointment.

Craning my neck to catch a glimpse, I accidentally snickered loud enough for her to hear when I saw the big D on her sheet.

She whipped her head around to throw me a dirty look. "This piece of shit," she said, thrusting the paper up in my face, "is unimportant to me because I'm going to be an artist. A damn good one at that. So stop laughing about something I don't even care about."

"Sounds like you care enough to explain," I said. "You sure you really want to be an artist or is it just to impress Mr. Branson to get into his pants?"

Her eyes widened in surprise.

I dropped my volume jus enough for only her to hear. "Oh yes, I see the way you look at him with that lustful stare. You practically eye-rape him in every class."

"T–That's not true. Don't utter such bullshit," she said, avoiding my eyes.

"That stutter didn't sound very convincing," I noted. "You wouldn't mind me gossiping with my best friends over this, would you? After all if there's nothing there as you say then you shouldn't be worried."

"Don't you dare tell anyone that. I'll fucking ruin you. I'm not kidding. I'll get my dad to suspend you or something before you can even ppen your mouth," she said with a serial killer gaze.

"So it's true?"

"It's nothing! It's just a stupid crush, like everyone has on that one teacher."

"I guess you're right."

Nia shot me  hateful glare. "I heard you're dating Abeo."

I shook my head. "He's not my type. But his body is."

She grimaced in disgust. "So it's just fucking, right? No feelings involved?"

"From my side, yes absolutely," I said, humouring her, "–but he told me he wants more and I made my feelings clear that I don't want that."

"He's not the one to give up," Nia said, mostly to herself, "–Boonsri will be crushed that he's the one after you and not the other way round."

I rolled my eyes. "That girl is pathetic. She'll save herself a lot of pain the faster she moves on from him. Do me a favour and tell her that, okay? What kind of a friend are you? You should've told her this ages ago."

"Shut up," she snapped, way too furious than was necessary, "–you think I haven't told her that? But she's adamant. She won't listen to me and neither Pari."

"For someone so brilliant in academics, she's quite dumb," I said.

"Don't judge her for that! She truly loved him a lot. You can't just get over that kind of love in a few days."

I shrugged. "Whatever you say."

"So, class. I know some of you did well and the others–" Ms. Roosevelt looked pointedly at Nia causing her to roll her eyes after she looked away, "–didn't. As you all know the midterms will be in a few weeks and I expect everyone to do well."

She talked on more about the midterms after which she resumed teaching. Nia didn't say anything further to me and that was the end of our brief conversation.