4 6 | J U L I A

I meekly made my way out of my room, checking again to see if my makeshift bandage was okay. I had changed into a new clothes seeing as I ha completely stained my previous top with my blood.

The house was quiet, contrary to the deafening sounds from the various people that were present. I assumed the other band members had left for their own houses. Thankfully even Ajax was nowhere to be seen. I was pretty sure I'd lash out at him if I saw him right now and there wasn't even a party going on to drown to out the yelling that would inevitably result in if we saw each other right now. Besides I didn't want Braxton knowing about what had gone down between his best friend and I.

He was his best friend. He was definitely not going to believe me over him. Even if he would want to, Ajax had some kind of hold on him, almost manipulative that would ensure he wouldn't do anything about it.

"Braxton?" I called out in the empty living room which was already cleaned up.

"Out here." Came his reply from the spacious balcony overlooking his grounds.

I walked over to him, making out his dark figure hunched over the swing. He gestured for me to take seat next to him and I did just that. He had two plates full of cake and he gave me one.

I had his gift in my hands so I put it next to me to accept the cake. "Thank you," I said absentmindedly. "Where's Ajax?" I asked next, although grateful for his absence but still wanting to know if he was up to something more.

"Gone partying. He's positive he will get signed up with the label."

"You think so too?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Yeah, the songs he sang today were just phenomenal. I'll admit he wasn't all that bright in songwriting before but he has improved exponentially. I was so surprised with what he had come up with! I can't get those heavenly lyrics out of my head. It's going to be hit worldwide, that's for sure," Braxton rambled on, oblivious to the fact that it felt like I was being stabbed over and over with his words. "Seriously, what has gotten into him? He's so good. I think I've always underestimated him. It's like I've only just realized that he's good at what he does. I'm already starting to feel threatened by him!" Braxton said jokingly.

I ignored his praises for him, not wanting to hear anymore of his compliments for Ajax which would've rightfully belonged to me. "You didn't go with him to celebrate?"

"No, I wanted to talk to you about what happened before at the party." He answered slowly. "Julia, I want you to know that it really wasn't my intention to put the spotlight on you like that or humiliate you. I got carried away and was inconsiderate. I swear it wasn't deliberate."

I smiled slightly. After everything that happened tonight, his apology although really unnecessary made me feel like at least there was someone who cared, who wouldn't use me in some way.

"You don't need to apologize. I should've sang something, any song. I want to be a singer like you, Braxton. I should be preparing myself for the spotlight. If anything, I'm the one who embarrassed you." I took a bite of the cake finding it really delicious. Imani and Darius weren't only talented singers but also exceptional bakers.

He shook his head frantically. "No, you didn't. And it's not as easy as you think. Even after years of this, I still get overwhelmed. It's not something you get easily used to. It is my fault and you don't need to deny it."

I went to do just that but was stunned into silence when his hand fell on mine and he slowly shook his head. I felt him squeeze my hand before he slowly retracted, my skin still tingling warmly from his previous contact. "T–This is some good cake," I said, desperate to change the subject, not wanting to hear any more of his apologies. I still didn't agree that it was his fault.