Chapter 123

[A few minutes earlier…]

AS SOON as Forrester stepped foot in the temple, he felt an ominous presence that could only belong to one person.

Could it be…?

He ran towards the direction of the aura that he felt.

Much to his surprise, it led him to the room where Princess Nia was supposed to be sleeping. On his way to the chamber, he crossed paths with Howard– the High Priest.

"Your Holiness, you've returned," Howard said in surprise. "Would you like to have tea with me?"

"Maybe some other time," Forrester said with urgency in his voice. "I have business with Her Royal Highness."

The High Priest looked shocked. "Her Royal Highness is still asleep, Your Holiness."

He smiled sweetly at him. "Howard, do you seriously think that you can lie to me?"

Howard looked helpless. In the end, he bowed his head in surrender. "I apologize, Your Holiness."

"Don't worry– I won't kill the princess," he assured the High Priest when he went past him. "I'm not like the Moonchesters whose only solution to a problem is to kill."

Well, at least he was trying not to be like the Moonchesters.

Hate towards the royal family was embedded in every fiber of his being. But he refused to blindly follow what his blood dictated. He had always known that his fate was to become the empire's saint. Still, he wanted to control the aspects of his life that he could.

His thoughts were cut-off when he finally reached the room at the end of the hallway.

Without even bothering to knock, he entered the chamber.

"Greetings, Your Holiness," Princess Nia, who was standing in front of the bed as if she was already expecting him, greeted him with a disapproving look on her pretty face. Judging by the night gown the princess was wearing, it was obvious that she really intended to pretend to be still unconscious. "I know that the temple is your home. But entering a guest's room without even knocking is still rude."

"I didn't invite you in my home so I consider you as a trespasser," Forrester said bluntly. "It looks like the church has favored the royal family while I was in deep slumber, huh?"

"Doesn't the church exist to serve the royal family?"

"We have a problem, Your Royal Highness," he said. "It looks like His Majesty intends to cut our ties soon. What should I do then?"

The princess looked genuinely shocked by that. "His Majesty intends to severe our ties with the church?"

"That seems to be the case."

Her Royal Highness laughed softly but in a mocking way. Only the princess could sound eloquent while being rude. Her gaze was also full of contempt. "If my brother doesn't find you useful anymore, he probably intends to kill you and replace you with another saint that he could control. What a shame, Your Holiness. You just woke up but soon, the emperor will put you in a permanent slumber."

The children of the moon hadn't changed at all. All they talk about was death. Darkness doesn't equal evilness, but the Moonchesters make it look like so.

Compared to that…

"The children of the moon and the children of the sun are really opposites," he commented in amusement. "I recently met a daughter of the sun. She has a nasty temper but she didn't talk about death. But even if she did, I'm certain that it would be for the greater good."