Chapter 40

[This is the wedding day and the reception party through Princess Nia's eyes.]

***

NIA was amused by the number of nobles that attended Lady Prescott's wedding despite her recent dispute with the other noble ladies.

[Are they curious about the real score between Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho?]

It wasn't like she didn't understand.

When the High Priest announced the prophecy about Captain Kiho's future son, her brother chose Lady Prescott to fulfill the divination with the captain. Duke Maverick Prescott, as a loyal subject of the royal family, accepted the order without even consulting his daughter. And of course, as a knight, Captain Kiho couldn't and wouldn't refuse the emperor's "request."

To simply put, everyone in the empire knew that it would be a political marriage between Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho.

[I thought so, too.]

But Captain Kiho's shameless display of affection for Lady Prescott caught everyone off-guard. Who knew that the stoic "monster" and cold-blooded assassin would slay giant sea monsters just to get his lady a fine pearl for an engagement ring?

Not only that.

The captain of the Black Serpent Knights also stood by Lady Prescott's side during her scandal with Captain Denver.

[Even if Lady Prescott didn't call the reporters, I'm pretty sure that she'd be proven innocent either way. After all, Captain Kiho would have probably murdered anyone who dared to speak gibberish about her.]

The emperor quickly brushed it under the carpet but she heard that Captain Kiho went to Baroness Alphonse's mansion and froze her knights.

[Aku treats Captain Kiho like his younger brother so I knew he'd protect his reputation.]

The emperor even arranged an interview for Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho for the pearl engagement ring. Her brother did that to distract the people from the previous scandal involving the two.

[Thanks to that, I wasn't able to touch Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho for the meantime.]

And thus, the peaceful wedding between them right now.

"What are you thinking so deeply about, Nia?" Aku, who was sitting next to her in the balcony of Eclis Church, asked her. "You've been silent since we arrived here."

They were watching the wedding from the top so they wouldn't steal the spotlight from Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho. After all, they were surrounded by knights. Captain Sherwood and Lahara were the only 'visible' guards behind her and her brother.

But that didn't mean there were only two knights around.

The others were simply in "stealth mode."

"I find their relationship amusing," Nia said. She was watching Lady Prescott and Captain Kiho in the altar listen to the priest who was officiating the wedding. Everyone below was quiet since the ceremony was wedding. But they were in the balcony and there was a protective barrier around her and the emperor. In short, no one could hear them talking. Well, except for Captain Sherwood and Lahara. "It started as an arranged marriage but look at them now. I never thought that the stoic captain can make a face like that."

Captain Kiho's face would soften up every time he would turn to Lady Prescott.

"He lost," she continued in a light tone. "The captain lost because he fell in love first."

Aku laughed heartily. Good thing they were required to put a protective barrier every time they were outside the palace. If not, everyone would have heard the emperor laugh in the middle of a solemn wedding ceremony.